Author Topic: patriots sign John Lynch!  (Read 7577 times)

Re: patriots sign John Lynch!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
If Lynch does in fact sign do the Patriots get better....or just older?

Truthfully, I'm not so sure I know the answer to that question.

better, but slightly. it's not liek he'll start, he'd be harrisions backup/ a 3rd (possably fourth the way merriweather is playing) saftery overall.

he'd be insurance, nothing more.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
he's automatically ahead of Meriweather....because he stinks!!
he's be rotating with Harrison and Sanders.  And in Obvious run situations he'll probably be in there with Harrison!!  Game over!!  No running in the halls on the Pats!!!

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 02:59:10 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
he's be rotating with Harrison and Sanders.  And in Obvious run situations he'll probably be in there with Harrison!!  Game over!!  No running in the halls on the Pats!!!

Meriweather stinks?  What are you basing that on?

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I don't know, I think Meriweather looked good at the end of the last season, and he was very impressive in the first preseason game.  I think Lynch is going to be taking the place of Tank Williams as the backup Safety, as well as a guy who can step up and play a little LB as well.

Either way, it is a great signing to add a little more veteran depth to the defensive backfield that suddenly is counting on a lot of young players.

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

have you actually seen any of the reports coming out of camp, or the first game?

reports out of camp are he's challinging saunders pretty hard for the FS spot. He looked real good at the end of his rookie year last year, and he's only going to get better this year.

reports out of camp are that he's playing extremly good football right now.

All the observers and players have talked about how he's made a pretty big leap in confidence and knowing the patroits system, which typicly takes 3-4 years to learn.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 03:57:34 PM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
I've read all the reports, and then I watched him play and against the first unit I saw him try to make a tackle and he was pushed aside like a HS would be tackler.  I have nothing against him.  I love the Pats, and if he's playing I hope he shuts me up.  But if he's a starter then I'll just say "I'm worried"

Also this is the same guy that dropped every single ball that hit him right in his hands last year!!

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I've read all the reports, and then I watched him play and against the first unit I saw him try to make a tackle and he was pushed aside like a HS would be tackler.  I have nothing against him.  I love the Pats, and if he's playing I hope he shuts me up.  But if he's a starter then I'll just say "I'm worried"

Also this is the same guy that dropped every single ball that hit him right in his hands last year!!

ah, check, so you dislike him because he didn't catch that pass in the super bowl. fair enough. my uncle feels the same way  :D

and you only watched one play then? because he was pretty much playing lights out coverage (no catches by his man when boller was lighting it up early) made a big stick on a receiver coming across to cause an incomplete, and tossed in 5 tackles. not bad for a kid who "looked like a HS'er"

also, your worried if he's a starter, but james "im average, but semi-dependable" saunders lights your fire?  ok....

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Lynch was released today...........but it may not be permanent

from Boston.com:

The Patriots announced today that they released veteran safety John Lynch, and in the press release, included comments from both coach Bill Belichick and Lynch.

The comments, especially from Lynch, make it sound as if the move might not be permanent.

"I have no regrets about my time thus far with the Patriots," said Lynch. "The immense respect that I've long held for the organization has been only heightened over the past couple of weeks. I am going to keep all options open and look forward with excitement to see what the future brings."

The "thus far" part of Lynch's comment seems to indicate this could be a situation where Lynch is not kept on the Patriots' roster for the opening week -- when salaries for veterans would be guaranteed -- before returning to the club after the first game.

Head coach Bill Belichick also included a comment in the team's release:

"It goes without saying but John is an all-time great safety, one of the league's classiest professionals and his elite play speaks for itself," said Belichick. "As has been the case in other situations, I would not rule anything out down the road."
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.