Author Topic: Cavs Acquire Mo Williams in 3 Team Trade  (Read 16619 times)

Re: Cavs Acquire Mo Williams in 3 Team Trade
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Desmond Mason gives them .... did Mason come out of Oklahoma? College? Grow up there? Something rings a bell there ... a solid two guard and a good defender.

Strange career for Mason. Wen to college at Oklahoma state, drafted by Seattle (now Oklahoma city), traded to milwaukee, traded to New Orleans/Oklahoma City 1.0 (where he played in Oklahoma due to Katrina), resigned with Milwaukee, and now traded to Oklahoma city 2.0 (which was his original Seattle organization).

So his next stop could either be to milwaukee, possibly Charlotte (since the NO Hornets were originally from there), maybe an expansion team in seattle, but most likely back to the Hornets when they move to seattle. makes sense :P

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
It is not a bad trade for Cleveland.  They can now sign and trade West to replace Smith. 

It is an upgrade at PG.  Still, not enough to get past Boston.

What will they get back if they sign and trade West? Is there any chance Cavs don't match someone else's offer to West??

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

joe smith was at times the cavs 2nd best player. at other times, that player was delonte west. now it seems they're both out of the picture. not sure what sense this makes for cleveland.

west is still there... what do you mean?

Become Legendary.

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 04:31:26 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25

joe smith was at times the cavs 2nd best player. at other times, that player was delonte west. now it seems they're both out of the picture. not sure what sense this makes for cleveland.

Adding Williams means they will most likly move West. They have Gibson as a backup

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 04:31:48 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153

I believe he means that this move for the Cavs now makes West a backup (i.e. out of the picture)
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 04:50:10 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Actually, if I am the Cavs, I start both Mo Will and D West at the guard spots.

2 guards who can shoot it and handle the ball and push the tempo....will really help the Cavs' lack luster offense.

Wally off the bench is a no brainer at this stage in his career...plus defensively, West might have a slight advantage over Wally.

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 05:13:08 PM »

Offline CsfanNH

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 10
Yes, I want Delonte West back. Cavs don't deserve him. Paying booby big and then leaving West out on a limb, not cool. Now Williams seals the deal. If Delonte wants minutes he needs to get out of there.

CsfanNH

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Don't like it.  They're basically getting rid of Joe Smith and Delonte to bring in Mo Williams and whoever they might get in a S&T for West (probably not much).  No way Delonte re-signs for more than the qualifying offer, not when they've already committed to Boobie and Mo (and they're all really 2 guards in PG bodies). 

Just another case of Cleveland getting another second-tier player to put around LeBron.  They would have been better off pursing Ben Gordon in a S&T, using Wally's contract. 

Picking up decent players that bad teams are looking to unload isn't the way to bring a title to Cleveland. 

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

Adding Williams means they will most likly move West. They have Gibson as a backup
I agree.  Either that or they'll just let him walk.  Would 2.5-3 million be enough for the Cavs to not match?  Isn't that what the C's have left?
I don't see why they would pay a 3rd string point guard that kind of scratch.

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Is it just me or do the Cavs pull these 'big' trades every year, to bring in mediocre talent, but really they're just worse off in the end (taking into account contract and their lengths and whatnot).

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 05:35:31 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Is it just me or do the Cavs pull these 'big' trades every year, to bring in mediocre talent, but really they're just worse off in the end (taking into account contract and their lengths and whatnot).

Yeah, they're just kinda spinning their wheels.  Same thing with last year's "big" deadlines deals; they got Wally; BFD!  They've taken on guys that, for whatever reason, just don't have a lot of value to their old teams.  One dimensional players like Wally and Ben Wallace.  Players that bad teams are looking to unload rather than build around.  And, they still have the same issue of not having a real PG or any semblence of a real offense. 

I don't think this deal makes Cleveland any worse...  but I don't see it as a big improvement.  Why give Boobie Gibson such a big contract if you're looking to bring in someone like Mo Williams?  You aren't putting those two guys on the court together. 

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Cavs are #1 in the east now.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 06:05:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I pretty much agree as well. Most trades are parallel moves: mediocre for mediocre, bad for bad, sometimes good for good. Cleveland is making a lot of parallel trades, hoping something sticks and becomes greater chemistry wise. It does feel like a backwards move for the franchise though.  When Lebron leaves, Cleveland will be left with a strange roster of overpaid role players.

...I kinda would like to see things workout and James stays. But I don't want to see him get any rings under the green machine's watch!!  ;D

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 06:23:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Cavs are #1 in the east now.

Eh...  Mo Williams isn't a huge difference maker.  The Cavs upgraded their back court, and downgraded their front court.  I'm not sure that that helps them tremendously.

Frankly, I'm glad to see Joe Smith gone.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions