Author Topic: SLAM vs DIME vs HOOP  (Read 3713 times)

SLAM vs DIME vs HOOP
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
SLAM vs DIME vs HOOP

Do you guys like these magazines at all?

For those who do, how do you rank them?

My ranking:
1.HOOP
2.SLAM
3.DIME

Are there any other basketball magazines out there?

Yes, I'm bored.

Re: SLAM vs DIME vs HOOP
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
slam
sports illustrated
espn

can't say i've read dime or hoop.

while we're on the subject, does anyone have copies of the slam paul pierce edition and/ or the slam celtics championship edition?

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
i've been buying slam since the second issue....
though it's not as good as it used to be, it's still the best..
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i'm not a big fan of magazines because the information in them is usually old- if theres a breaking story, it's always online first.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
Those magazines aren't about ground breaking news.  They're about historical stories, personal stories, things we didn't know and the like.  Stories that are timeless I guess you could say in a lot of cases.

I have to give the edge to slam.  No, not myself, the magazine.  Scoop Jackson, though a lot of people don't like him, is one of my two favorite sports writers, which is probably why I got so into the magazine in the beginning.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
yea but now a days, most of the inside personal stories can be accessed online too.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 01:47:51 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
SLAM back in the day was a Godsend, then Marbury was drafted and Scoop had his little girly war with Reggie Miller, nothing worse than when editors think the readers could give a darn about their personal one on one opinions. They did expose me to Glen Rice's wife which was nice. The more I read that magazine, and I had every issue until 2007, the more I realized how they didn't respect the opinion of a 5'10" Nova Scotian kid who didn't play college ball. I've written them how many times, no responses, I got in trash talk a couple of times but only for them to mock our beloved C's. They lost any and all creativity as the years went on and they started to focus more on how often they would 'bless' us with gracing someone with their cover and hyping themselves up like a bunch of insecure morons instead of focusing on ball, they got too big the turned into the annoying little child actor everyone couldn't stand to be around, a la Haley Joel Osment. They got the new editor in there and ever since they've taken the mandatory Ebonics out of the trash talk which is nice but they've upped the High School, College and WNBA articles. To me anything that pushes the WNBA has absolutely zero credibility. I don't why they're doing it or who they're doing it for, there's a minuscule percentage of people out there that are actually interested, I find it to be a massive and unforgivable insult, especially if I'm paying for it, about 2/5 of the magazine isn't NBA, who wants that?

Hoop is garbage and in the NBA's pockets, has been for years, obviously, it's at the level of watching Inside Stuff, I'm appalled you'd even suggest it.

Dime is terrible, it's a rip off of a taking brand in SLAM, they're coming around but the days of relying on magazines to pinup SLAMADAMONTH or whatever DIME has are over, a good inkjet printer is one heck of an investment.

If I had to choose one I'd probably just take a nap. This world will be a better place once they get rid of magazines, newspapers, receipts and the penny, they all suck.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
I was a big Slam head back in the day (back in the day meaning 5 years ago), but I think print media is out dated.

Used to be big on the Slam Ups though.

I also liked those hip hop references they worked into there. They had an article about Michael Finley and it was titled "MF Doom". Other mags wouldn't even think to do that.

I still check out the Slam website from time to time, it's second or third favorite hoops site. Guess which one is first. I'll give you a hint, it's not RealGm