Author Topic: Kobe, can you stop it with the finals comparisons?  (Read 12238 times)

Kobe, can you stop it with the finals comparisons?
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
It seems like every other day this guy is talking about how much different the Olympics experience is when compared to the NBA finals and how much “more it would mean” to win a gold medal.

Sorry Kobe but for Jordan the gold medals were a given, it was the NBA playoffs and finally getting over that “Piston” hump that offered him his biggest challenge.

Please.

Is this just self marketing by catering to the whole country as oppose to just LA? What do you guys think is more important "The NBA Finals" or winning a Gold medal?

Kobe Bryant said the atmosphere surrounding the United States' Olympic basketball opener against China was more exciting than the NBA Finals. "It was a different kind of energy," he told reporters after the Americans' 101-70 victory on Sunday. "I am fortunate enough to have played in four NBA finals and numerous big games but it was just different. You felt like there was so much more support because it's the USA and obviously how proud the fans are here of their country. "You just understood that there was something that was bigger than the game, it wasn't just a finals game or a seventh game, it was bigger than that." Reuters / August 10

Source: hoopshype.com
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:58:14 AM by Jsaad »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Kobe, can you stop it with the finals comparisons?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:58:41 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i'm starting to consider kobe a sad and pathetic loser. if he'd won the nba finals he wouldn't be talking like this. he is so bitter.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:02:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't see the problem here.  First off, to me, it is clear that that quote came as a direct response to a question.  Most likely a reporter asked him how the atmosphere compares to the atmosphere in the finals...and he answered it.

More importantly though, I have no problem with him being excited to be in the Olympics.  To many people, winning a Gold medal is much more important than winning an NBA championship, because you are winning it for your country.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you asked Jordan about it, that he would say the exact same thing.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:12:31 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I think Kobe just doesn't want to admit and sidetracking that he's Shaq's sidekick and he can't win without him. :P
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 08:33:22 AM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88

Kobe Bryant said the atmosphere surrounding the United States' Olympic basketball opener against China was more exciting than the NBA Finals. "It was a different kind of energy," he told reporters after the Americans' 101-70 victory on Sunday. "I am fortunate enough to have played in four NBA finals and numerous big games but it was just different. You felt like there was so much more support because it's the USA and obviously how proud the fans are here of their country. "You just understood that there was something that was bigger than the game, it wasn't just a finals game or a seventh game, it was bigger than that." Reuters / August 10

Am I wrong?  hasn't Kobe played in 5 NBA Finals?  3 w/ Shaq and 2 loses vs us and the pistons?

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Am I wrong?  hasn't Kobe played in 5 NBA Finals?  3 w/ Shaq and 2 loses vs us and the pistons?

Yes he was in 5. is 3-1 with Shaq and is 0-1 without.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
BTW, why is everyone so obsessed with Kobe?  He lost, why not be graceful winners, and move on without overanalyzing everything he says?

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:49:13 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

You'll have to forgive Kobe.  The NBA Finals are insignificant to him.  You can't expect him to remember something as trivial as that.    ;)

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 08:55:38 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

You'll have to forgive Kobe.  The NBA Finals are insignificant to him.  You can't expect him to remember something as trivial as that.    ;)

Haha, TP good stuff.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
BTW, why is everyone so obsessed with Kobe?  He lost, why not be graceful winners, and move on without overanalyzing everything he says?

He has a track record of downplaying the significants of losing the NBA finals.

As a Laker player losing to the Celtics, this loss should cause loss of sleep and depression. He should be apologizing to Laker fans world wide.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 09:06:53 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
again, ill ask the question the people who start these threads won't anwser, you also hate lebron, wade, kidd, and bosh right? all of whom have made similar statements about the importance of the olympics right?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

He has a track record of downplaying the significants of losing the NBA finals.

As a Laker player losing to the Celtics, this loss should cause loss of sleep and depression. He should be apologizing to Laker fans world wide.  ;D

I guarantee you that if Pierce was in Kobe's position, he would be saying the same thing.  As an American, I would be offended if Kobe started saying that the NBA finals were more important to him than representing his country.

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
again, ill ask the question the people who start these threads won't anwser, you also hate lebron, wade, kidd, and bosh right? all of whom have made similar statements about the importance of the olympics right?

No I don't hate anyone.

Kobe is a Laker who was about to be appointed the next Jordan but couldn't get it done and because he failed he is downplaying it.

If he won the title I'm sure we'd get a response such as:

"It’s really not comparable. Winning the NBA title means a lot to me because it adds another chapter of success to this great Laker franchise and brought happiness to the LA community.

The Gold medal means a lot from a different standpoint. We are representing the entire nation, I take a lot of pride in that and anything less than a gold Medal will be a huge disappointment"

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:00:49 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

No I don't hate anyone.

Kobe is a Laker who was about to be appointed the next Jordan but couldn't get it done and because he failed he is downplaying it.

"It’s really not comparable. Winning the NBA title means a lot to me because it adds another chapter of success to this great Laker franchise and brought happiness to the LA community.

The Gold medal means a lot from a different standpoint. We are representing the entire nation, I take a lot of pride in that and anything less than a gold Medal will be a huge disappointment"

you dont hate anyone, yet you admit this is only improtant to you because its kobe? that, to me, would be hating one person, or at least, unfairly singleing them out.

If your going to bash a guy, at least be consistant, this is the EXACT same USA basketball company line that lebron, wade, bosh, kidd, and im sure others have already given in interviews. its only important to you because you think it makes kobe look bad.

Again, im no kobe fan, but to diss the guy because he's giving out the company line while representing his country? how childish can you get?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

No I don't hate anyone.

you dont hate anyone, yet you admit this is only improtant to you because its kobe? that, to me, would be hating one person, or at least, unfairly singleing them out.

If your going to bash a guy, at least be consistant, this is the EXACT same USA basketball company line that lebron, wade, bosh, kidd, and im sure others have already given in interviews. its only important to you because you think it makes kobe look bad.

Again, im no kobe fan, but to diss the guy because he's giving out the company line while representing his country? how childish can you get?

Childish? Please... I'm an NBA historian and I feel like my intelligence is being insulted.

I did not diss him but want him to be "straight up". Whats wrong with the standard response I came up with? You know the media is going to run with anything else. His PR guy knows this too...