Author Topic: Kobe speak with forked tongue (monumental dink as usual)  (Read 12616 times)

Re: Kobe speak with forked tongue (monumental dink as usual)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 10:51:27 AM »

Offline kefa461

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
My question is then.....if he is so patriotic why did he refuse to show up all the other times....like when Paul and the so-called 2nd tier players had to play in the World Games in 02. Paul was pretty much out gunned because Kobe sat it out. Was that not for the good old USA ???8)

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
My question is then.....if he is so patriotic why did he refuse to show up all the other times....like when Paul and the so-called 2nd tier players had to play in the World Games in 02. Paul was pretty much out gunned because Kobe sat it out. Was that not for the good old USA ???8)

Well, hey, if we're going by that standard, KG and Duncan are unpatriotic too. Forget for a moment that Duncan has played when called upon up until, what? 2006? How about Amare? And, hey, how ABOUT Paul Pierce, who didn't make more of an effort to get on the team? I mean, he may have asked once or twice, but I don't see him complaining about it now. A REAL patriot would still be griping! Jason Kidd didn't play since 2000; should we attack him too?

Do you see how absurd it is to argue he's unpatriotic? You're hating on Kobe, but giving KG a free pass. Kobe has played in just as many Olympics as Garnett has. All that should matter is whether Kobe agrees to play for Team USA when asked to in the future.

(And, again, how does the OP respond to my point that you're not complaining about soccer players doing this? How about Deng playing for Great Britain despite playing in the NBA? Or Nowitzki playing for Germany despite doing the same? Or Yao for China?)

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 11:56:16 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't know how old Kobe's girls are but is it beyond the realm of possibility that his wife being pregnant and expecting at the time could have had something to do with it?

What about marriage problems? Could it be that being away during that off season could very well have caused a problem in the marriage?

Any or none of that could be true. But the point is there are a myriad of reasons, both personal and professional(like 3 consecutive, extremely long seasons in a row), that could have made Kobe's decision not to play before necessary.

I hate Kobe, but you're barking up the wrong tree in this instance.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
You can criticize Kobe for many things -- and there are many -- but I think calling him "unpatriotic" is stretching it. I don't see anyone calling out American soccer players for playing overseas instead of in MLS. Most of the WNBA players play for teams in Russia and Spain and other countries during the off-season; is that unpatriotic?

Honestly, as long as he's not playing for someone else in the Olympics, I'm not sure where he makes his money in between Olympics renders him "patriotic" or "unpatriotic"

I wasn't calling him unpatriotic, I was calling him a GD inconsistent hypocrite.

He's all about TEAM USA when he's trying to justify Team USA being more important than the NBA Finals and wave his little stars and stripes.

But he's ready to kick the U.S. to the curb and spout the globalism line when he can make a few extra bucks overseas (or use it to leverage it for more shekels here). Can't have it both ways, Mmaba.

but where he plays professionally has ZERO impact on his love for his country.

the only way your dig makes sense is, in fact, if your calling him unpatriotic for playing overseas, a stance that to me makes no sense what-so-ever.

I don't consider dice-k "un-Japanese" because he plays for the red sox, but goes back to team japan for international play, nor ortiz for playing for the Dominicans.

this is one of the longest reaches to bash a guy in a long time. And it would have to be long, because i dislike the mamba as much as everyone, and would be more than willing to pile on, but this dig makes no sense.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

so you hate KG to then, right? since he doesn't feel the need to play in international competition?

just looking for consistency here.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 02:00:21 PM »

Online Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
There is no correlation between the olympics and patriotism whatsoever...zero.  It's a competition.  Well, sort of.  When the olympic committee wants it to be.  Otherwise there's much more of a correlation between olympics' results and those of the WWE.  Ask Roy, Evander, the US basketball team, any gymnastics or figure skating athlete.  Stern sees it as internationalizing the NBA product.  I don't see him waving around an American flag in China unless he sees some kind of marketing angle. 

The hate Kobe threads are old and tired.  The olympics is nothing but image rehab for Kobe.  For those of who hate him, it doesn't make a hill of beans.  For those of us who don't, it doesn't make a hill of beans. Kobe wouldn't be villified if he wore our uniform instead of the Lakers'.  He wouldn't be called any of the absurd and obscene names he's called and he wouldn't have his every word put under a microscope in an attempt to turn him into some kind of monster.   He'd be seen for what he is.  An incredible athlete and basketball talent and from most accounts, a pretty good guy who screwed up.  I don't see the same hatred for true bad guys like Kidd, Anthony, J O'Neal, and Iverson.  Among other screwballs.  Kobe ain't going overseas because he won't make as much money no matter how many ways anybody breaks it down.

I'm glad Garnett and Paul aren't risking injury playing in this meaningless pick-up tournament.  They're no less or no more patroitic than Kobe for not playing.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 09:44:08 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191

Well, hey, if we're going by that standard, KG and Duncan are unpatriotic too. Forget for a moment that Duncan has played when called upon up until, what? 2006? How about Amare? And, hey, how ABOUT Paul Pierce, who didn't make more of an effort to get on the team? I mean, he may have asked once or twice, but I don't see him complaining about it now. A REAL patriot would still be griping! Jason Kidd didn't play since 2000; should we attack him too?

Do you see how absurd it is to argue he's unpatriotic? You're hating on Kobe, but giving KG a free pass. Kobe has played in just as many Olympics as Garnett has. All that should matter is whether Kobe agrees to play for Team USA when asked to in the future.

(And, again, how does the OP respond to my point that you're not complaining about soccer players doing this? How about Deng playing for Great Britain despite playing in the NBA? Or Nowitzki playing for Germany despite doing the same? Or Yao for China?)

Kobe is playing the patriotism card with his remarks about it being more important than the NBA Finals. Which, to me, is self-serving PR more than anything.

He is more than welcome to go play overseas if he wants. I see it as transparent posturing to leverage a bigger contract here, as many veterans have been doing in the past few weeks since Childress jumped ship.

I call BS, however, when in one breath he talks about how representing the U.S. means so much to him, and on the other hand, is willing to go play for Dynamo Moscow or the highest bidder. If it's all about the global economy, then why even give a crap about what flag you're playing for in the Olympics? We're all just commodities going wherever the exchange rate is favorable or the labor pool is advantageous. And there's an argument to be made for getting your share, given that our politicians have put the interests of multinationals ahead of local economies, etc.

There was a great cover of the Atlantic Monthly about 10 years ago showing a map of the world and in place of countries' names, there were Fortune 500 corporations, to illustrate the point that multinationals are more influential than sovereign states. So here we are today. Maybe rather than having the Olympic athletes represent countries, the corporations could bid on naming rights for Team Nike and Club Citigroup etc. and we could just drop the charade.

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
Kobe is playing the patriotism card with his remarks about it being more important than the NBA Finals. Which, to me, is self-serving PR more than anything.

He is more than welcome to go play overseas if he wants. I see it as transparent posturing to leverage a bigger contract here, as many veterans have been doing in the past few weeks since Childress jumped ship.

Yes, because Kobe Bryant needs to posture in order to get a max contract here. Exactly what alternate universe are we in now where Kobe, the current MVP, the player who is absolutely in any discussion of the 5 best current NBA players, can't get a max contract if he opts out, or even if he doesn't? The only thing that's going to stop him from getting the max is if no team can afford it. And, by the way, the European teams aren't bound by the CBA, so they CAN in fact offer him more money. How is it "transparent posturing" when HE knows he could get the max here and WE know he could get the max here?

Seriously, man, you need to chill a bit. This blind hatred is getting a bit absurd.

I call BS, however, when in one breath he talks about how representing the U.S. means so much to him, and on the other hand, is willing to go play for Dynamo Moscow or the highest bidder. If it's all about the global economy, then why even give a crap about what flag you're playing for in the Olympics? We're all just commodities going wherever the exchange rate is favorable or the labor pool is advantageous. And there's an argument to be made for getting your share, given that our politicians have put the interests of multinationals ahead of local economies, etc.

I'm going to say this for the third time: respond to my [dang] point. Where's your hatred of LeBron for saying this? Of Wade? Where's your hatred for soccer players who represent Team USA despite playing for teams like Manchester United? I will come right out and say that if someone offered you double your current salary AND offered to pay for your house, food, and clothes, and all you had to do was move to, say, England, you'd do it. You'd do it in a heartbeat. You'd take the offer and you'd brag about it to all of your friends. Are you saying that you'd stop calling yourself an American just because you moved to another country? Are you saying you wouldn't support the U.S. if you were able to do so? Because if you are, you're a pretty cynical and sad individual.

There was a great cover of the Atlantic Monthly about 10 years ago showing a map of the world and in place of countries' names, there were Fortune 500 corporations, to illustrate the point that multinationals are more influential than sovereign states. So here we are today. Maybe rather than having the Olympic athletes represent countries, the corporations could bid on naming rights for Team Nike and Club Citigroup etc. and we could just drop the charade.

Seriously, man, I can give you a long list of Team USA athletes who DON'T play in American leagues. Where's your hatred toward them?

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 10:22:31 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
There is no correlation between the olympics and patriotism whatsoever...zero.  It's a competition.  Well, sort of.  When the olympic committee wants it to be.  Otherwise there's much more of a correlation between olympics' results and those of the WWE.  Ask Roy, Evander, the US basketball team, any gymnastics or figure skating athlete.  Stern sees it as internationalizing the NBA product.  I don't see him waving around an American flag in China unless he sees some kind of marketing angle.

That might be true for some athletes and sports, but there are a lot of people out there doing everything not for the name on the back, but the name on the front.  Yao Ming playing despite his injury.  Brazilian soccer players playing despite not being allowed by their clubs.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 11:27:36 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191

Yes, because Kobe Bryant needs to posture in order to get a max contract here. Exactly what alternate universe are we in now where Kobe, the current MVP, the player who is absolutely in any discussion of the 5 best current NBA players, can't get a max contract if he opts out, or even if he doesn't? The only thing that's going to stop him from getting the max is if no team can afford it. And, by the way, the European teams aren't bound by the CBA, so they CAN in fact offer him more money. How is it "transparent posturing" when HE knows he could get the max here and WE know he could get the max here?

Seriously, man, you need to chill a bit. This blind hatred is getting a bit absurd.

I'm going to say this for the third time: respond to my [dang] point. Where's your hatred of LeBron for saying this? Of Wade? Where's your hatred for soccer players who represent Team USA despite playing for teams like Manchester United? I will come right out and say that if someone offered you double your current salary AND offered to pay for your house, food, and clothes, and all you had to do was move to, say, England, you'd do it. You'd do it in a heartbeat. You'd take the offer and you'd brag about it to all of your friends. Are you saying that you'd stop calling yourself an American just because you moved to another country? Are you saying you wouldn't support the U.S. if you were able to do so? Because if you are, you're a pretty cynical and sad individual.

Seriously, man, I can give you a long list of Team USA athletes who DON'T play in American leagues. Where's your hatred toward them?

I would never talk about my salary at a new job because it's tacky and insecure. That being said, my decision whether to take the job would be based upon numerous factors such as the city, the job, the cost of living, etc. Some overseas cities could be in the list, many U.S. cities would not. The 2X salary would be down the list. But maybe that's just me.

I'm not required to list every U.S. athlete who plays overseas to point out Mamba's BS. To quote the Mamba, "Do you know anybody who would turn down $50M a year?" Well, yes, I would hope a lot of people would if they were already making $20M a year and were in a good situation. There is a thing called a hometown discount, and it's worked out for some people such as Tom Brady. But if Mamba has to be the highest-paid player, go for it.

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 07:04:55 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I would never talk about my salary at a new job because it's tacky and insecure. That being said, my decision whether to take the job would be based upon numerous factors such as the city, the job, the cost of living, etc. Some overseas cities could be in the list, many U.S. cities would not. The 2X salary would be down the list. But maybe that's just me.

I'm not required to list every U.S. athlete who plays overseas to point out Mamba's BS. To quote the Mamba, "Do you know anybody who would turn down $50M a year?" Well, yes, I would hope a lot of people would if they were already making $20M a year and were in a good situation. There is a thing called a hometown discount, and it's worked out for some people such as Tom Brady. But if Mamba has to be the highest-paid player, go for it.

way to completely dodge his question about the other guys on the team for a 4th post.

also, must be nice to make a ton, if someone offered me twice my annual salary, it would be quite irresponsable to my family, both future and present to turn it down. of course, i don't make 6 figures, i guess if i did then the increse would be "way down on my list"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:41:01 AM by crownsy »

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla

First of all, I find it hard to believe that if someone tripled your salary, you would simply keep it to yourself. You'd be excited; you'd mention it to your close friends. And even if you didn't initially mention it, it would come up when they found out you were moving. Maybe you wouldn't give an exact number, but you'd make a general comment about it.

Second of all, I didn't say the money would be the sole reason anyone would take a job. But, as people have pointed out, we're talking about a player who spent the first, what? 11 years of his life? abroad. This isn't someone who never saw a foreign country until NBA preseason; Kobe -- if I recall correctly -- speaks fluent Italian. Way to hold an American bias, acting like the U.S. is the only place worthy of plying a trade.

B.S. you don't have to list it. You haven't even listed ONE. You're calling Kobe unpatriotic because of this, but I challenge you to point out ONE post anywhere else on this forum in which you've ripped Wade or Lebron for doing the same thing. Or, for that matter, ripped Tim Howard, Kasey Keller, Michael Parkhurst, etc. for representing/having represented Team USA while playing abroad. And, hey, you don't seem to be too p---ed about a player like Yao coming to the NBA and then playing for China; how about a post calling Yao unpatriotic as well?

Plus, your comment about a "hometown discount" is by far the most ridiculous thing you've written in this thread, and, buddy, you've written quite a few that qualify. Tom Brady turned down maybe 8-10 million more a year over 6 years as a "hometown discount", but that was approximately 6-8% of the salary cap at the time. Please name me one NBA player who has taken any more than a couple of million less as a "hometown discount." You can't, and you know it.

Frankly, the more you try to justify your absurd comments, the more ridiculous you and they look. Why don't you just concede that you made a comment without thinking it through and that it was silly to make? I mean, you would NEVER make these comments about Pierce or KG or Lebron or Wade. It's only BS to you because it's Kobe saying them. Hell, if we gave you the same quote and didn't attribute it to any specific NBA player, you'd have let it slide with no issue whatsoever.

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 10:20:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ironic that so many of us are defending Kobe because one of us are needlessly attacking him.

I always thought that capitalism was one of the things that flag wavers always embraced themselves to, I always thought that flag wavers put capitalism up there with being as American as baseball, apple pie, and free speech.

Ironic that Kobe is being called unpatriotic for embracing capitalism and his ability to make as much money as he can.

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
If Paul Pierce started talking about opting out of his contract and playing for a team in Europe, as Celtics fan I'd be miffed about his lack of loyalty to the franchise where he played his entire career.  (I know PP doesn't have a player's option, BTW).  Last summer, Kobe was angling for a trade.  This season, after a trip to the Finals, no less, he's talking about possibly opting out. 

Kobe is a disloyal slug. I wonder how much longer Lakers fans are going to stand by this guy, who has a burning desire to express his hope of possibly leaving his team at every opportunity. Thankfully, our star swingman knows a thing or two about loyalty and sticktoitness. 

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
If Paul Pierce started talking about opting out of his contract and playing for a team in Europe, as Celtics fan I'd be miffed about his lack of loyalty to the franchise where he played his entire career.  (I know PP doesn't have a player's option, BTW).  Last summer, Kobe was angling for a trade.  This season, after a trip to the Finals, no less, he's talking about possibly opting out. 

Kobe is a disloyal slug. I wonder how much longer Lakers fans are going to stand by this guy, who has a burning desire to express his hope of possibly leaving his team at every opportunity. Thankfully, our star swingman knows a thing or two about loyalty and sticktoitness. 

Lebron is too right?

or are we going to gloss over that kobe said he would considered playing in europe when he was asked if he supported lebron's statement from the day before?