Author Topic: Danny Ainge holding out?  (Read 12096 times)

Re: Danny Ainge holding out?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
mkogav,

You're forgetting about PJ Brown--you know, the guy who came in when Perk got injured or picked up his usual two quick fouls.  He and Posey were the first two guys off the bench, and they're gone. 

And no, O'Blount and Medical Bill Walker aren't adequate replacements.

I can only hope/trust that Danny has something more up his sleeve.  Otherwise, we'll contend, but unless someone has a break-out year we'll be worse.  We could still win it all, but we'll be worse than last year's team.

I honestly can't believe the number of people that think that the team that went 7-2 when KG was injured won't be able to survive the loss of Posey and PJ Brown. PJ was the guy who came in because he was the only tall backup on the roster.

Sorry, hit wrong button.

Who said anything about "surviving."  My points are:

1. PJ Brown > POB (At least for 2008-09)
2. Posey > Medical Bill (At least for 2008-09)

and therefore 2007-08 Celtics > 2008-09 Celtics.  We still could win it all, but there are legitimate questions to be raised about the roster at this point.

I wasn't referring only to you. And you left out players who should be better in 2008-2009 than they were last year, such as Rondo, Powe, Davis, Perk or Tony Allen as well as the improved chemistry/confidence from playing together for a year as well sa winning a title. It's not a given that 2007-08 Celtics > 2008-09 Celtics.
An very valid point that I also share with you.  Unfortunately, too many people overlook the young players we have following the natural progression and getting better.  Rondo, BBD, Pruitt, Powe and Perk figure to be better next year.  Although none play SF, they can provide reduced time for the starters and contribute to the team's success in a greater proportion than last year.  If Giddens and/or Walker are impressive enough in camp to send Veal to the inactive list, even better.

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
...there sure is a lot of whining going on on this board...a lot of "we can't" and "we won't" being thrown around in regards to players that haven't proven one way or the other what they can or can't do...

...vets are good for a sense of security, but their is not title with any major injuries to our main 3...this team is heavier on TALENT than it was last year, and the younger players from last season's team are now more experienced...

let some of this play out before freaking out...there is ample time to add "vets" where needed...none of the available players on the market were impact players...our guys  have more upside...

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 06:52:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
mkogav,

You're forgetting about PJ Brown--you know, the guy who came in when Perk got injured or picked up his usual two quick fouls.  He and Posey were the first two guys off the bench, and they're gone. 

I can only hope/trust that Danny has something more up his sleeve.  Otherwise, we'll contend, but unless someone has a break-out year we'll be worse.  We could still win it all, but we'll be worse than last year's team.

I honestly can't believe the number of people that think that the team that went 7-2 when KG was injured won't be able to survive the loss of Posey and PJ Brown. PJ was the guy who came in because he was the only tall backup on the roster.

Sorry, hit wrong button.

Who said anything about "surviving."  My points are:

1. PJ Brown > POB (At least for 2008-09)
2. Posey > Medical Bill (At least for 2008-09)

and therefore 2007-08 Celtics > 2008-09 Celtics.  We still could win it all, but there are legitimate questions to be raised about the roster at this point.

I wasn't referring only to you. And you left out players who should be better in 2008-2009 than they were last year, such as Rondo, Powe, Davis, Perk or Tony Allen as well as the improved chemistry/confidence from playing together for a year as well sa winning a title. It's not a given that 2007-08 Celtics > 2008-09 Celtics.
An very valid point that I also share with you.  Unfortunately, too many people overlook the young players we have following the natural progression and getting better.  Rondo, BBD, Pruitt, Powe and Perk figure to be better next year.  Although none play SF, they can provide reduced time for the starters and contribute to the team's success in a greater proportion than last year.  If Giddens and/or Walker are impressive enough in camp to send Veal to the inactive list, even better.

oh. you mean if giddens and/or walker show up to camp to send Veal to the inactive list, even better. 

hard argue with that.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
Let the rest of these teams blow their MLE on bums like Gerald Green.   It's not a terrible strategy from Ainge.   We're pretty confident that with/without Posey we are still going to be a solid playoff caliber team for the first half of the season.  Powe/T. Allen can actually take a lot of those minutes Posey would have received.   So we wait until mid-season and see what kind of opportunities come up with post-trade cuts and buyouts.  Having that 2-3 mil of the remaining MLE available can come in handy down the line... and the longer we wait to use the remainder of the MLE, the less it hurts to owner's pockets. 

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 01:19:37 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Let the rest of these teams blow their MLE on bums like Gerald Green.     

No team used its MLE on Gerald Green this summer.  Diop got the full MLE from the Mavs.   

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If I was going to make a questionable $8 million investment on anyone this off season, it would have been giving James Posey his fourth guaranteed year and not to a stiff like Kwame Brown...
Exactly.  TP for you.
 :P

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
mkogav,

People are forgetting that Leon Powe was the guy who stepped up in that 7-2 no-KG stretch, and I fully expect Leon to have a big season as the first big off the bench.  Losing Posey and PJ Brown is not a real big concern to me.