Author Topic: Danny Ainge holding out?  (Read 12108 times)

Danny Ainge holding out?
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:12:08 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I know the season has yet to begun, but has Ainge missed out on too many key additions for the returning champs to make a run at another ring? In semi-numerical order here's the possible losses to Boston..."*'s" for my favs

Dallas signs Gerald Green* - Probably would have worn green again if we knew Posey was leaving sooner
NY signs Chris Duhon - Good PG but I'm sure he wanted more money
Miami signs James Jones* - Another good player possibly signed if Posey left sooner
Washington signs Dee Brown - I like this guy as a back up PG, but too small for what we needed anyway
Orlando signs Mickael Pietrus* - How many more pre-Posey-departure possibilities can there be?
Houston signs Brent Barry* - And another possible
San Antonio signs Roger Mason - Too small to play SF effectively. We have Tony Allen for that reason
Orlando signs Anthony Johnson - Well past his prime, and no use for an old ineffective PG
New Jersey signs Jarvis Hayes* - I would have taken him...had Posey left early enough!
Milwaukee signs Tyron Lue - I had argued to get him at first, till I found out how big his head was
New Jersey trades for Keyon Dooling* - I would have taken him if we didn't have House
SA signs Kurt Thomas - He's a more expensive version of PJ Brown...not worth it
Phoenix signs Matt Barnes**- I thought he wanted big money, but he signed for the LLE...we missed out
New Orleans steals Posey*-Kinda like the Brett Favre thing.it was about time we got an answer(not the one we want)
Minni signs Telfair - I like him, but we didn't need him with House and Pruitt needing minutes to grow
Greece signs Childress - I know people will argue, but I didn't want him. He OBVIOUSLY wanted money
Denver signs Birdman* - I would have taken the risk on him before 0'Bryant...
Minni signs Ryan Gomes* - We had no chance. They were just waiting to see if anyone would offer him less
LAC signs Ricky Davis - He looks good on paper, but I bet the BIG 3 had part in not getting him signed
LAL sign Sasha Vujacic* - I wish, but no. Awesome young talent, but LAL had no intentions of parting with him
ATL sign Mo Evans* - He would have been good for the leftover minutes if Giddens/Walker flop on us
Philly signs Kareem Rush* - Same as Mo Evans except Mo would have been 10x better on Defense
Denver signs Dahntay Jones* - I really thought Ainge would get him this summer and keep him...guess not
LAC sign Brian Skinner - yes and no on him. Too small to be the C we need
Orlando signs "Aluminum" Foyle* - He would have worked for our backup backup C minutes when Perks in foul trouble
Israel signs Carlos Arroyo - He doesn't show up well in the NBA, but great player in international games..weird
Detroit signs Kwame Brown* - Another possible for limited minutes at backup C

That's it for the transactions worth being posted...What left to me would still be Darius Miles, Theo Ratliff, and after that I'd say wait till contract buyouts and pick up someone like Antoine Walker...just for spreading the floor and being more effective and SF than Tony Allen

I want to know what everyone else thinks, b/c I really feel that Ainge is proving to be stale mate to often right now as he did with Posey, and now we're missing out on every replacement possible without an unlikely trade...
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: Danny Ainge holding out?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:19:23 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I know the season has yet to begun, but has Ainge missed out on too many key additions for the returning champs to make a run at another ring? In semi-numerical order here's the possible losses to Boston..."*'s" for my favs

Dallas signs Gerald Green* - Probably would have worn green again if we knew Posey was leaving sooner
NY signs Chris Duhon - Good PG but I'm sure he wanted more money
Miami signs James Jones* - Another good player possibly signed if Posey left sooner
Washington signs Dee Brown - I like this guy as a back up PG, but too small for what we needed anyway
Orlando signs Mickael Pietrus* - How many more pre-Posey-departure possibilities can there be?
Houston signs Brent Barry* - And another possible
San Antonio signs Roger Mason - Too small to play SF effectively. We have Tony Allen for that reason
Orlando signs Anthony Johnson - Well past his prime, and no use for an old ineffective PG
New Jersey signs Jarvis Hayes* - I would have taken him...had Posey left early enough!
Milwaukee signs Tyron Lue - I had argued to get him at first, till I found out how big his head was
New Jersey trades for Keyon Dooling* - I would have taken him if we didn't have House
SA signs Kurt Thomas - He's a more expensive version of PJ Brown...not worth it
Phoenix signs Matt Barnes**- I thought he wanted big money, but he signed for the LLE...we missed out
New Orleans steals Posey*-Kinda like the Brett Favre thing.it was about time we got an answer(not the one we want)
Minni signs Telfair - I like him, but we didn't need him with House and Pruitt needing minutes to grow
Greece signs Childress - I know people will argue, but I didn't want him. He OBVIOUSLY wanted money
Denver signs Birdman* - I would have taken the risk on him before 0'Bryant...
Minni signs Ryan Gomes* - We had no chance. They were just waiting to see if anyone would offer him less
LAC signs Ricky Davis - He looks good on paper, but I bet the BIG 3 had part in not getting him signed
LAL sign Sasha Vujacic* - I wish, but no. Awesome young talent, but LAL had no intentions of parting with him
ATL sign Mo Evans* - He would have been good for the leftover minutes if Giddens/Walker flop on us
Philly signs Kareem Rush* - Same as Mo Evans except Mo would have been 10x better on Defense
Denver signs Dahntay Jones* - I really thought Ainge would get him this summer and keep him...guess not
LAC sign Brian Skinner - yes and no on him. Too small to be the C we need
Orlando signs "Aluminum" Foyle* - He would have worked for our backup backup C minutes when Perks in foul trouble
Israel signs Carlos Arroyo - He doesn't show up well in the NBA, but great player in international games..weird
Detroit signs Kwame Brown* - Another possible for limited minutes at backup C

That's it for the transactions worth being posted...What left to me would still be Darius Miles, Theo Ratliff, and after that I'd say wait till contract buyouts and pick up someone like Antoine Walker...just for spreading the floor and being more effective and SF than Tony Allen

I want to know what everyone else thinks, b/c I really feel that Ainge is proving to be stale mate to often right now as he did with Posey, and now we're missing out on every replacement possible without an unlikely trade...

With the exception of nostalgia for an era in which our beloved team won almost 35 percent of its games, what is the 'loss' incurred by missing out on Gerald Green?

I realize that he's still got some believers in his potential, particularly among Celtics fans, but at this point, can we come to an agreement that he's been tremendously insignificant as an NBA player thus far?  There are no doubt several players that the Celts didn't acquire this summer who I think could have helped this team...but seeing GG's name at the top of the list isn't exactly the lines along which I'd be thinking.

Just my initial thought...back to reading your list, jdub, and by the way, thanks for taking the time to put this all together, a TP to you on the effort account...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:26:46 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
not to sound like I'm DA or anything but, as I surveyed your list I kept thinking "none of these guys spark any interest in me".  I mean you have to remember this guy just put together one of the best teams we have yet to see and he's supposed to be mad that a Kurt Thomas has slipped through the cracks?

Don't worry bro.  We're still gonna dominate. ;D

It's time to get out the desperation mode that any die hard has been way too familiar with for the last couple pre-seasons and embrace the greatness that Danny has brought us.  ;)

I was really upset when we lost Posey, but if DA (who we all should trust by now) says we'll be all set, then we should take his word.  

Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:30:35 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
A few more random thoughts...

a) Is the Favre analogy a bit unfair to Posey as far as conduct is concerned?  Pose didn't mislead or wrong the team.  He just did what he had to do.  Favre put the Pack through the wringer a bit.  I understand where you're coming from on this, but it doesn't seem entirely fair.

b) I like Pietrus' potential, but people that watch him with more regularity than I do have maintained that he's soft and doesn't have a high BB IQ.  Still intrigues me, but I have some questions.

c) I'm not thrilled with O'Bryant, but I'll live without Kwame and Foyle.

d)  Big Kurt Thomas fan...I would have loved to see him take on the PJ role this year...that's a guy I'd consider legitimately 'missed out on'

e) Sure, Childress wanted money.  I'd have been thrilled if our team had been able to give to him.  Tenacious offensive rebounder, good defender, unselfish player, versatile, lots of garbage buckets.  No complaints here.

f) Agree on Gomes.  Pipe dream, as you say.

g) Why so high on Dahntay Jones?  Just curious...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:16:37 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
To SW, I only praise Dahntay more b/c he was dropped by the Celts for w/e reason last year(even though we got the ring, you still wonder what difference positive or negative that he could have made) but watching him play in Sac for a short time along with his Summer league play, he has shown that he can play. He's worked on his offensive touch, he's been known to be an above average defender, and he already knows the team to a point. I'd rather see him signed than someone like Quinton Ross...or having the expectation that Giddens/Walker will be outstanding and fill the voids.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 06:36:50 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
AW for spreading the floor?  Everyone knows he can't shoot...lol

Nice research. TP for you......

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 06:45:26 AM »

Offline pbon

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
 Dont we just have one slot left? and only enough money for one slot mabey he is waiting for a buyout mid season or how Obryant pans out

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:48:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The only player I am even remotely upset that we didn't get done at the money that they signed for elsewhere is Kurt Thomas. Other than that, when it comes to the financial aspect of things, I think Danny did a good job staying away from these guys listed above at the price it would have taken to sign them.

And I think you place a bit too much interest in some of the players you listed. There is just no way I would even consider, at any price, any of the following:

Darius Miles
Antoine Walker
Gerald Green
Kwame Brown
Ricky Davis
Dahntay Jones
Adonal Foyle
Brian Skinner

or a guy you didn't list

Shaun Livingston.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 07:51:39 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The only player I am even remotely upset that we didn't get done at the money that they signed for elsewhere is Kurt Thomas. Other than that, when it comes to the financial aspect of things, I think Danny did a good job staying away from these guys listed above at the price it would have taken to sign them.

And I think you place a bit too much interest in some of the players you listed. There is just no way I would even consider, at any price, any of the following:

Darius Miles
Antoine Walker
Gerald Green
Kwame Brown
Ricky Davis
Dahntay Jones
Adonal Foyle
Brian Skinner

or a guy you didn't list

Shaun Livingston.

Nick, You don't think Foyle or Kwame could fill that role as a backup C?

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 07:59:56 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
That's an excellent list. And I am inclined to agree with your controlling point. This has been a very negative off-season in my opinion - three of four moves I don't like, personally. Eddie House's resigning being the only positive I can find.

Giddens is an interesting draft pick. But I've read people on this board marking Billy Walker down in the rotation and referring to him as a "top five pick." I've seen a bunch of Billy Walker, enough to be certain that his game must mature - significantly - before he's capable of playing championship minutes off an NBA bench. Neither is a bad pick, but I am extremely skeptical they can help the club while we're still a serious championship contender. If ...

But ... beyond Kurt Thomas, there's really no one on that list we passed on that can help us, IMHO. Obviously, I find the continued nostalgia for Gerald Green funny. As Steve puts it, he's at best "insignificant." The thought of replacing Posey with Gerald is chillingly awful.

Right now, I see alarming parallels between next year's team and the post-16th banner teams: No bench, extended minutes for the stars and the resulting accelerated physical decline for the stars. Hasn't been a good summer - at all - from where I sit.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:11:44 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I know the season has yet to begun, but has Ainge missed out on too many key additions for the returning champs to make a run at another ring?

No.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 09:04:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Darius Miles
Antoine Walker
Gerald Green
Kwame Brown
Ricky Davis
Dahntay Jones
Adonal Foyle
Brian Skinner

or a guy you didn't list

Shaun Livingston.

I would have signed Theo Ratliff or Kurt Thomas to fill in the backup center position and that's it. Foyle last year lost his backup role to a guy named Marcin Gortat and is currently third on the Magic derth chart and Brown signed for 2 years at $4 million a year in Detroit. For what he can contribute to a team, that is an obscene amount of money.

If I was going to make a questionable $8 million investment oi anyone this off season, it would have been giving James Posey his fourth guaranteed year and not to a stiff like Kwame Brown.

Of course, that's just the way I look at it. I honestly don't see either of those guys being able to contribute anything more to the team than Patrick O'Bryant. I've never seen O'Bryant play and I willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over Foyle and Brown, who I did see play last year and were awful.

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Darius Miles
Antoine Walker
Gerald Green
Kwame Brown
Ricky Davis
Dahntay Jones
Adonal Foyle
Brian Skinner

or a guy you didn't list

Shaun Livingston.

I would have signed Theo Ratliff or Kurt Thomas to fill in the backup center position and that's it. Foyle last year lost his backup role to a guy named Marcin Gortat and is currently third on the Magic derth chart and Brown signed for 2 years at $4 million a year in Detroit. For what he can contribute to a team, that is an obscene amount of money.

If I was going to make a questionable $8 million investment oi anyone this off season, it would have been giving James Posey his fourth guaranteed year and not to a stiff like Kwame Brown.

Of course, that's just the way I look at it. I honestly don't see either of those guys being able to contribute anything more to the team than Patrick O'Bryant. I've never seen O'Bryant play and I willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over Foyle and Brown, who I did see play last year and were awful.

You saw Kwame Brown play last year?  Big Grizz fan, huh? 

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
That's an excellent list. And I am inclined to agree with your controlling point. This has been a very negative off-season in my opinion - three of four moves I don't like, personally. Eddie House's resigning being the only positive I can find.

Giddens is an interesting draft pick. But I've read people on this board marking Billy Walker down in the rotation and referring to him as a "top five pick." I've seen a bunch of Billy Walker, enough to be certain that his game must mature - significantly - before he's capable of playing championship minutes off an NBA bench. Neither is a bad pick, but I am extremely skeptical they can help the club while we're still a serious championship contender. If ...

But ... beyond Kurt Thomas, there's really no one on that list we passed on that can help us, IMHO. Obviously, I find the continued nostalgia for Gerald Green funny. As Steve puts it, he's at best "insignificant." The thought of replacing Posey with Gerald is chillingly awful.

Right now, I see alarming parallels between next year's team and the post-16th banner teams: No bench, extended minutes for the stars and the resulting accelerated physical decline for the stars. Hasn't been a good summer - at all - from where I sit.

Come down off the cliff.  The C's lost Posey and added 2 rookies.  I guess I don't see that as too negative especially in regards to your other point about no one of significance to sign. 

Not too mention that was their first year together and they dominated the league. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:30:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Darius Miles
Antoine Walker
Gerald Green
Kwame Brown
Ricky Davis
Dahntay Jones
Adonal Foyle
Brian Skinner

or a guy you didn't list

Shaun Livingston.

You saw Kwame Brown play last year?  Big Grizz fan, huh? 
No, I actually saw more of him while watching Laker games late on TNT and League Pass than I saw him in Memphis, which is another reason why I can't understand how David Stern could allow the trade between the Grizless and the Fakers to happen. He was basically the centerpiece of the deal headed to Memphis. That that deal was allowed to go through is mind boggling considering just how poorly he had been playing in LA.

Very few people league wide, whether they be writers or front office personnel, questions the Jerry West connection between those two teams in that trade but I've heard all sorts of innuendos about the McHale-Ainge-Celtic relationship when the Garnett trade was made. It's not like we traded Theo Ratliff and a couple of scrubs and a bad draft pick for him, which is what the Lakers sent the Grizless in the Gasol trade.

The Celtics sent Minnesota a top 5 pick, a future dominating big man with All Star potential, an excellent 6th man option, an $11 million expiring contract, and a PG that is young, learning and has potential to be a good starting PG in this league. We got Garnett.

The Lakers sent nowhere near that type of package for Gasol.

Sorry, got off track, didn't mean to go off subject but I still had that rant left in me about the crap McHale gets in the KG trade nationwide and how Chris Wallace gets little comparatively.