Author Topic: Decision '09: Madden or NCAA?  (Read 8618 times)

Decision '09: Madden or NCAA?
« on: August 07, 2008, 02:57:27 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Ok so i know the new Madden hasn't come out yet (5 more days i believe?), but the time is coming for me to make the big decision between the new madden or NCAA.

I'm sure many of you were/are currently in the same perdicament as i am, and i'm wondering how you all plan to handle it or, if you've already made your choice, how you went about it?

I've been a video game enthusiest all my life, but now that i'm 23, out of college, and have a real job, my playing habits are now down to a couple of hours (if that) total throughout the week, and maybe a couple more on the weekend.  I also tend to play most of my games online now as opposed to doing dynasty/story modes.

So my questions to you all are as follows:
-how are you going to make your decision? or if you've already made yours, what was the deciding factor/s?
-which game will have better online play?
-your NCAA reviews?
-new additions to this year's madden?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: Decision '09: Madden or NCAA?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Ok so i know the new Madden hasn't come out yet (5 more days i believe?), but the time is coming for me to make the big decision between the new madden or NCAA.

I'm sure many of you were/are currently in the same perdicament as i am, and i'm wondering how you all plan to handle it or, if you've already made your choice, how you went about it?

I've been a video game enthusiest all my life, but now that i'm 23, out of college, and have a real job, my playing habits are now down to a couple of hours (if that) total throughout the week, and maybe a couple more on the weekend.  I also tend to play most of my games online now as opposed to doing dynasty/story modes.

-how are you going to make your decision? or if you've already made yours, what was the deciding factor/s?
-your NCAA reviews?

I plan to get both, as per usual, and have my NCAA franchise feed my madden draft classes.

If i HAD to pick one, i'd go NCAA, but only because i liek the collage game style better (wide open packages, the option game, gimmick plays and defenses.)

EDIT: one thing though, online dynasty in NCAA 09 might be the greatest thing ever (see our thread about the SEC)

if madden doesn't have online franchise, and your going to be playing online, then that would make NCAA the choice in my book.

EDIT to my EDIT: i looked it up, sounds pretty lame on the madden front. you can do one season, and one season only online. sounds like a lame last minute throw in after they saw how popular ncaa 09's online dynasty was/is.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:05:05 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I am flat out not buying Madden this year. I simply don't play enough football games, and don't have enough time to put into the inferior game. The NCAA game I like a lot more because its easier to do more with less, but more challenging at the same time. The online dynasty is awesome, but regular dynasty with a mid-level to mediocre team set on the highest level is awesome.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

-your NCAA reviews?

Usually with Madden I try to buy the game every 2 years...every year improves minor things that don't really warrant a yearly purchase of the game. Of course when the Pats traded for Randy Moss last year I broke my rule and bought 08.

I downloaded the demo for Madden 09 on Live the other day...and I'm really thinking about buying it again this year...the players all have specific body types and the field detail really looks like they've fine tuned it. Of course during the demo you can only play as the Giants, trying to lead a comeback against the Patriots in the Superbowl...so I really didn't get to play the game at all because I would just just let Eli drop back and get pummeled by the Pats. So I can't attest to the gameplay. One cool thing they've added is the Madden IQ, which customizes the gameplay level to an IQ profile you use. Seems like a good idea.

NCAA is always fun and I usually end up borrowing it from my friend who buys it every year. I'm going to reserve judgement on that until I hear some more reviews and play it at my friends for a bit. I'm strongly leaning towards Madden however, even though I'm still seriously depressed whenever I see football highlights, I think I'll suck it up as it really looks like a solid version of the game.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I am flat out not buying Madden this year. I simply don't play enough football games, and don't have enough time to put into the inferior game. The NCAA game I like a lot more because its easier to do more with less, but more challenging at the same time. The online dynasty is awesome, but regular dynasty with a mid-level to mediocre team set on the highest level is awesome.

i usualy dont "buy" it, madden that is, i gamefly it and keep it for 5 months till it get tired.

proley be my strategy again this year.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I've pretty much given up on madden all together, and have never played NCAA, $60 isn't worth a roster update and a few extremely minor changes once a year.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I've pretty much given up on madden all together, and have never played NCAA, $60 isn't worth a roster update and a few extremely minor changes once a year.

I'd agree AFTER this year, just because from what ive heard, this years is pretty much the first truly "next gen" one.

07= tech demo

08= we learned from the tech demo

09= actual game.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 03:30:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Changes are better than minor. But i get what ur saying.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell

-your NCAA reviews?

I plan to get both, as per usual, and have my NCAA franchise feed my madden draft classes.

If i HAD to pick one, i'd go NCAA, but only because i liek the collage game style better (wide open packages, the option game, gimmick plays and defenses.)

EDIT: one thing though, online dynasty in NCAA 09 might be the greatest thing ever (see our thread about the SEC)

if madden doesn't have online franchise, and your going to be playing online, then that would make NCAA the choice in my book.

EDIT to my EDIT: i looked it up, sounds pretty lame on the madden front. you can do one season, and one season only online. sounds like a lame last minute throw in after they saw how popular ncaa 09's online dynasty was/is.

sounds interesting, but an online dynasty seems like it could be really involved.  from my experience w/ nba 2k8 (one of my favorite sports games of all time) i've learned that online leagues are a great idea, but much harder in practice -- you need to get everyone to play everyone else, meaning people have to be online at the same time, ect, ect.

guess i'll have to check the other thread for further details though.

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

-your NCAA reviews?

sounds interesting, but an online dynasty seems like it could be really involved.  from my experience w/ nba 2k8 (one of my favorite sports games of all time) i've learned that online leagues are a great idea, but much harder in practice -- you need to get everyone to play everyone else, meaning people have to be online at the same time, ect, ect.

guess i'll have to check the other thread for further details though.

from being 7 weeks along in ours, i can tell you its easy as cake. you odnt have to be online at the same time unless your playing another human.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 07:20:19 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
I'm getting both.  But I'm a big football game guy.  I own like half the maddens made.  I thought 08 was a pretty solid version, 07 was terrible.  09 should be really solid as they've really got their engine down for the next gen-console and I think that means they probably spent a lot of time just fine tuning everything.  But you should def. wait till it comes out.  NCAA is good though, the best version in a while.  I think you wouldn't go wrong with either.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
I don't really follow football, but for some reason I love the franchise mode in the NCAA version more than Madden.  It's been a few years since I've dived into either series, but there is something about the whole recruiting process and trying to turn some dumpy school like New Hampshire into a powerhouse that is sorta appealing to me.

Of course, I use to play the NCAA franchise mode with a friend of mine and we'd sim every season... we'd compete for prospects in the recruiting stages and he'd get extremely annoyed at me when I'd steal guys his Alabama team was targetting and get them to sign on at New Hampshire... so apparently that wasn't very realistic.  Oh well... :)

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
I don't really follow football, but for some reason I love the franchise mode in the NCAA version more than Madden.  It's been a few years since I've dived into either series, but there is something about the whole recruiting process and trying to turn some dumpy school like New Hampshire into a powerhouse that is sorta appealing to me.

Of course, I use to play the NCAA franchise mode with a friend of mine and we'd sim every season... we'd compete for prospects in the recruiting stages and he'd get extremely annoyed at me when I'd steal guys his Alabama team was targetting and get them to sign on at New Hampshire... so apparently that wasn't very realistic.  Oh well... :)

yea i'm the same way.  In every sports game i prefer to use middle of the road teams/cellar dwellars and try to turn them around.  it gets aggrivating when you play professional sports games online, such as nba 2k8.  Love the game, but everyone always wants to run with the Lakers, Rockets, Suns, ect., while i'd rather just roll with the 76ers and jack 3's with rodney carney all day, haha.

at this point i'm kind of leaning towards NCAA, but i'm going to wait 'till Madden comes out so i can make sure i make the right call.

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Read this NCAA 09 review and I guarantee you will wait for Madden.

http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/2008-07-29/ncaa-football-09-xbox-360.aspx
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I feel like it really depends on if you prefer doing a fantasy draft for a dynasty or if you prefer recruiting (IMO recruiting is way way better).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19