Author Topic: Hey Paul, the party's over. Time to get ready to defend the 'Ship  (Read 25439 times)

Re: Hey Paul, the party's over. Time to get ready to defend the 'Ship
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I guess I'm the only old f*rt who is worried about Pierce's excessive partying. I guess it's no big deal for a responsible professional athlete to be close to failing a sobriety test at 3 AM in Las Vegas late in the summer, just a few weeks before training camp begins. Sorry I had the audacity to even suggest that there is a potential issue here.  

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2008, 12:00:24 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I guess I'm the only old f*rt who is worried about Pierce's excessive partying. I guess it's no big deal for a responsible professional athlete to be close to failing a sobriety test at 3 AM in Las Vegas late in the summer, just a few weeks before training camp begins. Sorry I had the audacity to even suggest that there is a potential issue here. 

Yeah, it's really not that big of a deal.

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2008, 12:03:58 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

its cool, I'm just having fun with the topic - we are all entitled to our opinions - I heard they're making a new Grand Theft Auto game, and PP will be the lead character
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
I think you can say fart here without censoring yourself too...I've seen worse

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible

uh oh the commish is copying Pierce's gang signs... the world is ending

This post absolutely gets my vote for the best internet message board post of all-time.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:44 AM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32

Not only is he partying but he's committing criminal acts as well. First he gets pulled over in Las Vegas, now he's resorted to tagging?

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 12:20:49 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Not only is he partying but he's committing criminal acts as well. First he gets pulled over in Las Vegas, now he's resorted to tagging?

haha I came across that pic but couldn't come up with anything funny to say, you succeeded where I failed - well played - I was gonna say something like, look at PP pretending to enjoy his court mandated community service

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32

haha I came across that pic but couldn't come up with anything funny to say, you succeeded where I failed - well played - I was gonna say something like, look at PP pretending to enjoy his court mandated community service

Either way, the jokes are endless for all the old farts that still think he's some sort of thug.

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2008, 12:23:41 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

uh oh the commish is copying Pierce's gang signs... the world is ending

This post absolutely gets my vote for the best internet message board post of all-time.

thanks man (or girl, who knows these days) - I have a 1 out of 10 rule when it comes to comedy, if you say something that absolutely makes someone laugh once out of 10 times they'll remember you - the other 9 things can suck - now pro comedians, they're like 3 out of 10...

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I guess I'm the only old f*rt who is worried about Pierce's excessive partying.

no one is calling u an old fart, ur entitled to your opinion, the same way others are.

how is he partying "excessively"?  what has happened for you to even make that claim? your off base and have no factual information to support that claim.

I guess it's no big deal for a responsible professional athlete to be close to failing a sobriety test at 3 AM in Las Vegas late in the summer, just a few weeks before training camp begins. Sorry I had the audacity to even suggest that there is a potential issue here. 

this was an isolated incident.  the key word u used was "close".  truth is (no pun intended), he didnt fail the sobriety test, wasnt arrested, and was free to go.  if he failed the test and was arrest, then there is something to gripe about, but that wasnt the case.

since u seem to feel you know whats best for paul and have some insider information, since u know he has been partying "excessively", what has paul been doing with regards to training and preparing for the upcoming season?  you have no idea what he has been doing, the same why you cant make a claim he has been partying "excessively".  for all you know, he very well may have been working on his game and rehabbing his knee.  so to make a bogus claim based on a minor incident, where nothing came of it, is both ignorant and irresponsible on your part.

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

People who pass breathalizer tests aren't guilty of excessive partying. Anybody who has 1-2 drinks is close to failing one. And isn't training camp like 7 weeks away?

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Yep.  Looks like you're the only one.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Actually you are wrong, Bankshot. Travis Heath in today's Hoopsworld, has raised a similar concern. See below:

"2. Paul Pierce Must Still Be in a Post-Championship Haze

Okay, so I gave Paul Pierce the benefit of the doubt last week when he declared he was the best player in the NBA with the assumption my man was still feeling the effects of a little too much post-championship partying.  But when Pierce reiterated his claim he's the best player in the world last week, I just couldn't stay silent on the subject.

"I am a confident player, and a lot of people might look at it like 'Oh, another cocky attitude,' but I don't look at it that way," Pierce told The Providence Journal. 

"I have an opinion, I have a right to have one, and that's the way I feel.  I felt I've played against the best over the years and felt right now that I'm the best player in the world."

Really?  Does he actually believe that?  If so, that's not a good sign for the Celtics next season because it means they're getting fat and happy.

Look, I'll be the first one to say Pierce was the best offensive player in The Finals last June.  However, the Celtics won that series because of their stifling team defense not because they had "the best player in the world" on their roster.

Pierce is one of the better players in the world, there's no question about that.  However, now is not the time to start beating on his chest and resting on his laurels.  I guess we can give Pierce somewhat of a pass since this is the first time he's experienced winning a NBA title, but someone needs to let my man know defending a NBA championship is far more difficult than winning the first one. 

While Boston fans may not want to hear it, Pierce's comment could be the kind that comes back to haunt the Celtics next season. "

Fortunately, most Celtic fans on this forum (who are too young to have experienced the championship tradition) are drunk with the same euphoria as Pierce that we are the champs, and satisfied to win 17. So what if 18 doesn't come for another 22 years? Well, call me greedy, but I grew up in the days when we were expected to win every year.  Let me tell you something, youngsters, we are not going to win 18 by getting pulled over at 3 AM in Las Vegas during the summertime. 

OK, now is your cue to post your cute pix of Paul partying, and basically dismissing my warnings as over-reactionary drivel.   

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2008, 11:38:03 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

OK, now is your cue to post your cute pix of Paul partying, and basically dismissing my warnings as over-reactionary drivel.   

I'll give you that they are very cute pix, but most of them (all of them) are from random google searches - I dont think many if any are from this offseason, showing PP liked to party it up even before this offseason (also many are just taken out of context in quite humorous if I must say so myself ways).  we should start a new website LolPierces

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Actually you are wrong, Bankshot. Travis Heath in today's Hoopsworld, has raised a similar concern. See below:

"2. Paul Pierce Must Still Be in a Post-Championship Haze

Okay, so I gave Paul Pierce the benefit of the doubt last week when he declared he was the best player in the NBA with the assumption my man was still feeling the effects of a little too much post-championship partying.  But when Pierce reiterated his claim he's the best player in the world last week, I just couldn't stay silent on the subject.

"I am a confident player, and a lot of people might look at it like 'Oh, another cocky attitude,' but I don't look at it that way," Pierce told The Providence Journal. 

"I have an opinion, I have a right to have one, and that's the way I feel.  I felt I've played against the best over the years and felt right now that I'm the best player in the world."

Really?  Does he actually believe that?  If so, that's not a good sign for the Celtics next season because it means they're getting fat and happy.

Look, I'll be the first one to say Pierce was the best offensive player in The Finals last June.  However, the Celtics won that series because of their stifling team defense not because they had "the best player in the world" on their roster.

Pierce is one of the better players in the world, there's no question about that.  However, now is not the time to start beating on his chest and resting on his laurels.  I guess we can give Pierce somewhat of a pass since this is the first time he's experienced winning a NBA title, but someone needs to let my man know defending a NBA championship is far more difficult than winning the first one. 

While Boston fans may not want to hear it, Pierce's comment could be the kind that comes back to haunt the Celtics next season. "

Fortunately, most Celtic fans on this forum (who are too young to have experienced the championship tradition) are drunk with the same euphoria as Pierce that we are the champs, and satisfied to win 17. So what if 18 doesn't come for another 22 years? Well, call me greedy, but I grew up in the days when we were expected to win every year.  Let me tell you something, youngsters, we are not going to win 18 by getting pulled over at 3 AM in Las Vegas during the summertime. 

Okay, first, who in the bloody blue hell is Travis Heath and why should we give one iota of a bit of respect to anything he has to say?

Second, his warnings are over-reactionary drivel. I want my players feeling like they are the best in the world. I want my players saying that the opposition shouldn't beat them because they just aren't as good as we are. I want my players being confident.

Third, his entire article is based on assumptions.

- How does Pierce feeling he is the best player in the world equate to the entire Celtics team getting fat and happy?

- The Celtics won that series because of their stifling defense and because Pierce was on the roster.

- How does Pierce making an innocuous comment about who he felt was the best player in the world equate to him resting on his laurels?

- What does Pierce getting pulled over have to do with an inability to properly defending a title?

The amount of over-reaching assumptions in this ridiculously warped opinionated article is a farce. The man has no proof that Pierce isn't working out every day. The man has no proof that Pierce is out every night doing nonconstructive stuff. The man doesn't have any proof of what the rest of the team thinks of any of this or whether any of them feel the same way.

It's all conjecture and extremely illogical conjecture at that.