Author Topic: Swift, Ridnour?  (Read 10550 times)

Re: Swift, Ridnour?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I dont know why everyone keeps bringing up that we need a point guard -we dont! House and Rondo will be fine and Pruitt deserves a shot -also Swift is a waste of time to even talk about he is in the injury prone Scot Pollard club

Why does Pruitt deserve a shot?

because according to everythign the celtics put out he's worked his tail off, and also they need to see what they have with him.

It's trial by fire time for gabe.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I read a scout say somewhere if Gabe came out this year in the draft he would have been a top 20 pick.  I agree with the previous poster.  Let's see what exactly what we have of him and give him some PT before we decide and go ahead and trade the guy.  With Ridnour's contract alone you would have to throw both Perk and Scal to make the salaries match for a trade so it really doesn't make sense for us.  I'm a fan of waiting until at least the trade deadline in February to see exactly what we have of young players Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, O'Byrant, and what improvements Powe and Davis have made before we decide and go ahead any of them away. 

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
For the C's to maintain their identity, they can't have a backup point who can be abused on D. Eddie House isn't a creator, but he plays respectable defense. I'd rather get a defender who needs some help running the offense than a guy like Ridnour, who is a legit point on offense but can't play D.

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Both Ridnour and Swift are not worth even discussing. Even when healthy, which is pretty much never,  Swift doesn't look that good. Ridnour is not that impressive, even as just a backup.

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 10:18:43 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Swift has size, desire, potential and NBA experience.  He has yet to prove that he belongs but BIGS often take years to develop.  I expect that he's not available this year but would be an interesting "consideration" next year as a free agent....End of story!

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Both Ridnour and Swift are not worth even discussing. Even when healthy, which is pretty much never,  Swift doesn't look that good. Ridnour is not that impressive, even as just a backup.

I disagree about Swift.  In the short time that he was healthy a couple of years ago, he looked like the real deal. 

I have always been a fan of Ridnour too...although I know I am in the minority there.  I think in the right situation, he could be a very solid PG.

But with that said, I don't think there is a deal to be made for either of those guys.  We can't pay Swift enough for "OC" not to match, and we don't have the salaries to matchup with Ridnour without giving up an important player or two.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I am pretty sure if we offer Perkins and Gabe Pruitt for Swift and Ridnour, Seattle would agree.

I would not make that offer, however. (And Danny won't either, hopefully)

perkins is too good to trade for swift... that'd be stupid of us to break up or starting 5.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Does Pruitt deserve a chance to prove himself?

As our first selection in the second round Pruitt had desirable size, athleticism and a promising stroke suggesting his possible conversion to PG.  It didn't take long to recognize the flaws in Pruitt's game, especially his weak BB fundamentals and less than desirable BB IQ.  That Pruitt struggled mightily at the PG position was disappointing and so he was shipped to the DL.

Pruitt still has tempting size (6'4"), excellent athleticism and a silky stroke but at his present height he appears undersized for the SG position and lacks good one-on-one defensive skills in general.  He could become trade bait or he may have developed his game since last year.  The Celtics need to evaluate his growth as a player and reassess his potential at PG and SG.  For these reasons he deserves a chance to show his upside, if any.  Recall that many are called yet few are  chosen so the odds for Pruitt's NBA basketball future are slim.

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 12:31:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

As our first selection in the second round Pruitt had desirable size, athleticism and a promising stroke suggesting his possible conversion to PG.  It didn't take long to recognize the flaws in Pruitt's game, especially his weak BB fundamentals and less than desirable BB IQ.  That Pruitt struggled mightily at the PG position was disappointing and so he was shipped to the DL.

Pruitt still has tempting size (6'4"), excellent athleticism and a silky stroke but at his present height he appears undersized for the SG position and lacks good one-on-one defensive skills in general.  He could become trade bait or he may have developed his game since last year.  The Celtics need to evaluate his growth as a player and reassess his potential at PG and SG.  For these reasons he deserves a chance to show his upside, if any.  Recall that many are called yet few are  chosen so the odds for Pruitt's NBA basketball future are slim.

Does he "Deserve" a chance to prove himself?  Yes.  Has he gotten it?  Yes, every day in practice. 

Does he deserve a chance to prove himself in a game?  I don't think any of us can answer that, because we don't know if he has proven it in practice.

I don't think any player deserves minutes in an NBA game until they have beaten out the other players they are competing with in practice.

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

As our first selection in the second round Pruitt had desirable size, athleticism and a promising stroke suggesting his possible conversion to PG.  It didn't take long to recognize the flaws in Pruitt's game, especially his weak BB fundamentals and less than desirable BB IQ.  That Pruitt struggled mightily at the PG position was disappointing and so he was shipped to the DL.

Pruitt still has tempting size (6'4"), excellent athleticism and a silky stroke but at his present height he appears undersized for the SG position and lacks good one-on-one defensive skills in general.  He could become trade bait or he may have developed his game since last year.  The Celtics need to evaluate his growth as a player and reassess his potential at PG and SG.  For these reasons he deserves a chance to show his upside, if any.  Recall that many are called yet few are  chosen so the odds for Pruitt's NBA basketball future are slim.

He has had a chance to prove himself to Doc and Danny for the last year. They'll make their decision about him based on what they've seen from him.