Author Topic: Lebron says he would play for Europe for 50 mill  (Read 17463 times)

Re: Lebron says he would play for Europe for 50 mill
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Let him go to Europe.  The media would make a big deal made about his first game or even season, but after that forget it.  Lebron would be an afterthought to American sports fans.  I don't think that is something he would risk.  NBA championships are what matter.  He can rack up all the Euro league titles he wants and no one would care.

Except for the hundreds of millions of people in Europe?  I mean, true, WE would probably forget about him until he makes a come back, but it's not like Europe is some desert wasteland devoid of humanity.  He would still have millions of fans.

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »

Offline hoopaddict08

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Let him go to Europe.  The media would make a big deal made about his first game or even season, but after that forget it.  Lebron would be an afterthought to American sports fans.  I don't think that is something he would risk.  NBA championships are what matter.  He can rack up all the Euro league titles he wants and no one would care.

Except for the hundreds of millions of people in Europe?  I mean, true, WE would probably forget about him until he makes a come back, but it's not like Europe is some desert wasteland devoid of humanity.  He would still have millions of fans.

True. If anything he will broaden his fan base. Although I would hate to see him or any star of that matter leave the NBA for Europe. I could understand someone who wants more playing time from their team, but to leave just for the money when you already are making millions is kind of disappointing.

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Why exactly would the NBA have to change anything if one superstar player were to leave the NBA for Europe? I don't understand the over reaction to all this.

The league gets a new influx of talent every year. New stars and superstars develop every year. The owners are making money, good money. Their franchises are increasing in value every year.

Why would there have to be a change?

LeBron even admitted it would be a short term thing.

Remember something people this league survived the loss of Michael Jordan in his prime for two years so that Michael could take a gambling break, err, I mean go play baseball.

This league would continue on without LeBron and even if the loss is that of LeBron and 2-3 other superstars. Nothing as reactionary as the CBA being thrown out the window is going to happen because a few superstars decide they want to take a rich sabbatical overseas for a couple of years. They will be back.

It would change because the NBA champions would no longer be viewed as "world champions" or the best team in the world. There would be many other teams from europe that could legitimately make the same claim, and thus take a lot of the luster out of watching the NBA. Stern new this day was coming, which is why he has been trying to expand to europe eventually, it's just that the value of the dollar vs the euro has sped things up and made it more difficult for the NBA.

this could lead to the birth of the IBA - the International Basketball Association - I still think its weird that we have a National Basketball Association with a Canadian team in it... same thing with National Hockey League, heck even the Blue Jays being in the "American" League, is a little weird...

I think that would be the way to go. There are many international players in the NBA, and now there are a growing number of american players in europe, why not combine it all into one league and have a true world champion, and also keep league revenue high.

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28
But in most of Europe, basketball is a second-tier sport.
The real sport is Football (soccer for us Yanks).
Everything else is like the MLS is in the states.

btw - I hope he goes, it will improve the Celtics chances at dynasty :)

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

True. If anything he will broaden his fan base. Although I would hate to see him or any star of that matter leave the NBA for Europe. I could understand someone who wants more playing time from their team, but to leave just for the money when you already are making millions is kind of disappointing.

so would you say that you wouldn't leave your job if some place in europe offered to pay you ten times more money? I would.

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2008, 12:54:24 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

btw - I hope he goes, it will improve the Celtics chances at dynasty :)

not quite, the MLS comparison is inaccurate. Yes, football is #1 in europe, but basketball is now pretty high, I think saying that the red sox are #1 in boston but the celtics are pretty popular as a #2 or 3 is a more accurate comparison.

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
If he did take the money his new name would be Lefraud James.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2008, 01:19:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Why exactly would the NBA have to change anything if one superstar player were to leave the NBA for Europe? I don't understand the over reaction to all this.

The league gets a new influx of talent every year. New stars and superstars develop every year. The owners are making money, good money. Their franchises are increasing in value every year.

Remember something people this league survived the loss of Michael Jordan in his prime for two years so that Michael could take a gambling break, err, I mean go play baseball.

This league would continue on without LeBron and even if the loss is that of LeBron and 2-3 other superstars. Nothing as reactionary as the CBA being thrown out the window is going to happen because a few superstars decide they want to take a rich sabbatical overseas for a couple of years. They will be back.

It would change because the NBA champions would no longer be viewed as "world champions" or the best team in the world. There would be many other teams from europe that could legitimately make the same claim, and thus take a lot of the luster out of watching the NBA. Stern new this day was coming, which is why he has been trying to expand to europe eventually, it's just that the value of the dollar vs the euro has sped things up and made it more difficult for the NBA.

this could lead to the birth of the IBA - the International Basketball Association - I still think its weird that we have a National Basketball Association with a Canadian team in it... same thing with National Hockey League, heck even the Blue Jays being in the "American" League, is a little weird...

I think that would be the way to go. There are many international players in the NBA, and now there are a growing number of american players in europe, why not combine it all into one league and have a true world champion, and also keep league revenue high.

Oh sure. It sounds great. Until the Celts get scheduled for back-to-back games in Munich and LA...

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'm not buying this at all...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
three things

1) If the NBA eliminates the salary cap, guess who pays for it... we the fans - ticket prices would be astronomical especially for the better/more popular teams who can charge whatever they want - think about how mich tickets go for on stubhub right now - that would be your baseline for prices - scary stuff

What is the relevance of stubhub to salaries? Stubhub scalps tickets! That money doesn't go to the teams.

StubHub is priced based off of demand, not based off of the teams expenses. Stubhub is a lot close to the limit than the baseline.

A bigger problem is why would people abroad want to watch the NBA and buy NBA jerseys when they have players who are just as good? That is the problem with someone like Lebron playing in Europe.

You're actually right about stubhub being closer to the limit, for now.. what I was getting at is that if salaries go up, ticket prices have to go up - the prices people complain about paying on stubhub could actually become the prices teams charge, especially if they can still sell out - and if thats the case, the market will shift and those prices will again be the baseline and resale markets will again come to exist - not saying its gonna happen, but it could
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Oh sure. It sounds great. Until the Celts get scheduled for back-to-back games in Munich and LA...

they could make it work so that there is a North American division, European division and so on, and you may go on a European road trip or something once a year (or even every other year) - kinda make it like interleague play in baseball. It would bring worldwide interest to the league and make things that much more competitive - the world has caught up with the American basketball players, now I can see a worldwide league

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

Even if it were the case that you make it to be (with basketball being the (second class)* sport of Europe), David Beckham got a contract from the MLS that (thanks to BBallTim) could be worth a quarter billion dollars.

The situations and contract details are obviously different, but David Beckham isn't even the best soccer player in the world.  LeBron James is.  What could he be worth?

*That was the absolute correct usage of that word and it was still edited out.  Oh well.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

they could make it work so that there is a North American division, European division and so on, and you may go on a European road trip or something once a year (or even every other year) - kinda make it like interleague play in baseball. It would bring worldwide interest to the league and make things that much more competitive - the world has caught up with the American basketball players, now I can see a worldwide league

exactly, and it would also give us a way to legitimately shut up any critics and prove the celtics are the best team in the world ;D

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Chances of Lebron going and a team playing in the NBA being from Europe are at about 0% and decreasing.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2008, 02:06:17 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
Chances of Lebron going and a team playing in the NBA being from Europe are at about 0% and decreasing.

I dunno about that, especially a team eventually being from Europe - Stern has hinted at expansion into the world market, they are definitely setting the pieces up. Now would the teams be full out NBA teams, or would they kinda of be a B-league, like NBA Europe... I'm not sure about that. Here's an interesting news article that may change your mind about the league's intentions:

full link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/02/13/international.expansion/index.html

Have game, will travel
NBA mulling idea of five-team expansion in Europe

The NBA's on-and-off approach to expansion into Europe is back on again. Commissioner David Stern is considering new plans to create five full-fledged NBA franchises in Europe over the next decade, a league source told SI.com.

The initiative promises to be the big news of All-Star weekend in New Orleans, where international basketball officials are arriving this week for their annual meetings with the NBA. Stern is expected to reveal the league's new stance at a news conference Saturday, according to a league source.

The current idea would be to create five new teams in major markets to form a "European'' division within the NBA. The teams would play the full 82-game schedule and compete for the NBA championship. But the proposal is new and many factors will influence the eventual outcome, the league source said.

This will not be the first time Stern has proposed expansion overseas. In 2003, he said the league would investigate planting teams in Europe within a decade, but then shelved the proposal as the NBA focused on developing profitable relationships with China and other emerging markets.