Author Topic: Lebron says he would play for Europe for 50 mill  (Read 17378 times)

Re: Lebron says he would play for Europe for 50 mill
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 09:45:49 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I posted this in Steve Weinmans article, but I'd like to see a comparison of Beckham's situation to the one that LeBron could be in.

I think people could rush to throw this scenario out because Europe is a soccer continent, not a basketball one, but that didn't keep LA from giving Beckham the quarter billion dollar contract, and it's not keeping him from making any less endorsements, either.

If he wants to be 'Global Icon' James, the next step is either Europe or China.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Anyone think this is a ploy to get the NBA to change the salary cap?

We could Picket for a David Stern resignation.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was Lebron, especially if you're considering it for doing it only for a year, maybe 2 or 3 tops.

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was Lebron, especially if you're considering it for doing it only for a year, maybe 2 or 3 tops.

The Fallout for the NBA could be devastating...

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
if the NBA removes the Salary Cap though, you know who this is gonna affect the most? not just the organizations we follow, not just the NBA. It will affect us, the fans, who buy tickets to games, pay to watch on television, and buy our team's jerseys and other apparel. this is where it's becoming tricky all the way around, but what else are we supposed to do when we start losing our favorite NBA players? tickets already cost enough as it is, and with the little money i have as a college student, i am yet to be able to afford a celtics jersey. if the prices go up (satellite bill included), then it doesn't matter how die hard of a fan i am...i just won't have the money to keep up with the NBA down the road, and that bothers me.

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 09:52:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why exactly would the NBA have to change anything if one superstar player were to leave the NBA for Europe? I don't understand the over reaction to all this.

The league gets a new influx of talent every year. New stars and superstars develop every year. The owners are making money, good money. Their franchises are increasing in value every year.

Why would there have to be a change?

LeBron even admitted it would be a short term thing.

Remember something people this league survived the loss of Michael Jordan in his prime for two years so that Michael could take a gambling break, err, I mean go play baseball.

This league would continue on without LeBron and even if the loss is that of LeBron and 2-3 other superstars. Nothing as reactionary as the CBA being thrown out the window is going to happen because a few superstars decide they want to take a rich sabbatical overseas for a couple of years. They will be back.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:35 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
i guess lebron not being in the league would at least make it easier for us to get to the finals again...albeit not as rewarding.

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 09:58:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why exactly would the NBA have to change anything if one superstar player were to leave the NBA for Europe? I don't understand the over reaction to all this.

The league gets a new influx of talent every year. New stars and superstars develop every year. The owners are making money, good money. Their franchises are increasing in value every year.

Remember something people this league survived the loss of Michael Jordan in his prime for two years so that Michael could take a gambling break, err, I mean go play baseball.

This league would continue on without LeBron and even if the loss is that of LeBron and 2-3 other superstars. Nothing as reactionary as the CBA being thrown out the window is going to happen because a few superstars decide they want to take a rich sabbatical overseas for a couple of years. They will be back.

The NBA will not blink. 

Lebron's sponsors will.  They will make it worth to much for Lebron not to stay. 

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:12 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Actually I think

66.6 million USD

1.5437 Euros / 1 USD * $50 Million USD = $77.11 Million

if the NBA removes the Salary Cap though, you know who this is gonna affect the most? not just the organizations we follow, not just the NBA. It will affect us, the fans, who buy tickets to games, pay to watch on television, and buy our team's jerseys and other apparel. this is where it's becoming tricky all the way around, but what else are we supposed to do when we start losing our favorite NBA players? tickets already cost enough as it is, and with the little money i have as a college student, i am yet to be able to afford a celtics jersey. if the prices go up (satellite bill included), then it doesn't matter how die hard of a fan i am...i just won't have the money to keep up with the NBA down the road, and that bothers me.

If the NBA could charge more now to get more profits, they would. Supply and Demand generally dictates what the NBA’s capability to charge a certain price for there products, preferably without losing fans in the process such as not raising the playoff ticket prices enough to be affordable for the regular season ticket holders.

I think this is a good idea for LeBron. Stick it to David Stern and the NBA by having their most important player of the future leaving to make probably twice as much money or more factoring in taxes and future inflation of the American Dollar.

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

It would change because the NBA champions would no longer be viewed as "world champions" or the best team in the world. There would be many other teams from europe that could legitimately make the same claim, and thus take a lot of the luster out of watching the NBA. Stern new this day was coming, which is why he has been trying to expand to europe eventually, it's just that the value of the dollar vs the euro has sped things up and made it more difficult for the NBA.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

TP, well said. You're right, the bottom line will always effect (redz?) the fan. Maybe the NBA needs to look into recruiting some the deep pockets of Europe into the union and play by our rules.

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Actually I think

66.6 million USD

If the NBA could charge more now to get more profits, they would. Supply and Demand generally dictates what the NBA’s capability to charge a certain price for there products, preferably without losing fans in the process such as not raising the playoff ticket prices enough to be affordable for the regular season ticket holders.

I think this is a good idea for LeBron. Stick it to David Stern and the NBA by having their most important player of the future leaving to make probably twice as much money or more factoring in taxes and future inflation of the American Dollar.

Yes I over thought this extremely simple equation haha (E X 50 = ?)

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:04 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
Actually I think

66.6 million USD

however, the supply and demand of the NBA is not as high as the NFL or MLB...they are fortunate they're getting as much as they currently are. to expect to squeeze more money out of the fans is not going to help the league, it's going to cause fans to abandon the league, not by choice, but rather by force.

it has to stop somewhere, maybe some people are making 60-80K a year and could still afford a raise in price, but you are losing a ton of fans who are currently not as fortunate and aren't making as much.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think you guys have it mixed up. The article didn't mention paying him 50 million Euro, it said LeBron would consider a $50 million a year offer or 32.3 million Euro.

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 10:20:02 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Actually I think

66.6 million USD

however, the supply and demand of the NBA is not as high as the NFL or MLB...they are fortunate they're getting as much as they currently are. to expect to squeeze more money out of the fans is not going to help the league, it's going to cause fans to abandon the league, not by choice, but rather by force.

it has to stop somewhere, maybe some people are making 60-80K a year and could still afford a raise in price, but you are losing a ton of fans who are currently not as fortunate and aren't making as much.

Yes but no one is forcing a college student to buy it. I was that "poor college student" as little as 4 years ago. Heck, really it was 3.5 since it took about 6 months to find a job. I didn't buy an NBA Jersey until a couple years ago when I could afford it. lol. My parents had 4 kids with 1 salary and could never afford to buy me it either. When I was making H.S./College money, I didn't think it was worth it as much as I love the Celtics and like the NBA.