Author Topic: Am I the only one who doesnt give a crap about brett favre?  (Read 10585 times)

Re: Am I the only one who doesnt give a crap about brett farve?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 11:09:27 PM »

Offline banner17

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
My Girlfriend is a huge Packer Fan and is visting her Family in Wisconson right now. She tells me EVERYONE in Green bay justs wants it over already. you think we have it bad with cable. the coach's press conference was on every channel out there.

I asked her a qood question today that she couldn't answer, Was he even retired? he didn't even miss a game.

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:19:54 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I find it interesting that if 99% of NFL players did this, they'd be considered only a distraction and probably would be accused of doing it only to gain attention. Why is Favre immune from this? Why haven't media types suggested he may be a spotlight seeker? I wouldn't be surprised.  Does race play a role?

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 11:25:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I find it interesting that if 99% of NFL players did this, they'd be considered only a distraction and probably would be accused of doing it only to gain attention. Why is Favre immune from this? Why haven't media types suggested he may be a spotlight seeker? I wouldn't be surprised.  Does race play a role?

With Favre, I don't think its race.  I think its the fact that he has had the media in the palm of his hand so long that there is a a reluctance on their part to go against him.   He's created this persona as the "good, old boy gunsliger who acts like a regular guy".  The media has bought it hook line and sinker.  It also helps that he has been an extremely successful and talented quarterback over the years so he gets the benefit of the doubt on all issues.  He has a lot of friends in the media and they're not about to go against him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
ugh...
for god's sake...
why do people consider this a top news story?
and why, when referring to it, is there no sense of sadness in their voices?
my brain actually hurts evry time i hear about it....
and i live in new hampshire...
imagine what it's like for the hapless citizens of wisconsin...
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 11:44:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I too do not give a doodie about this situation... I find it as one of our cb brethren would say, superflous

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

With Favre, I don't think its race.  I think its the fact that he has had the media in the palm of his hand so long that there is a a reluctance on their part to go against him.   He's created this persona as the "good, old boy gunsliger who acts like a regular guy".  The media has bought it hook line and sinker.  It also helps that he has been an extremely successful and talented quarterback over the years so he gets the benefit of the doubt on all issues.  He has a lot of friends in the media and they're not about to go against him.

you're right. but there is some reason he's allowed to get away with this behavior, and why his drug addiction problems are deemed "okay" by the media, and though not the only reason, I think part of it is race. If Vick or T.O. had battled pain killer addiction, it would have been a lightning rod for additional criticism. Even less polarizing figures like McNabb or Vince Young would have had much more problems escaping negative press if they battled drug addiction and did the whole retire/unretire stunt.

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
My Girlfriend is a huge Packer Fan and is visting her Family in Wisconson right now. She tells me EVERYONE in Green bay justs wants it over already. you think we have it bad with cable. the coach's press conference was on every channel out there.

I asked her a qood question today that she couldn't answer, Was he even retired? he didn't even miss a game.

I guess the only way I could possibly relate to this is to imagine Larry Bird pulling similar antics at the end of his career.  Sure, I'd want Larry back (even if he had no back).  Being a fanatic of a team and that teams hero might give you an excuse to lose perspective when a guy is just plain being weenie.  Which is where my hypothetical Bird situation holds no water...since Bird was not a weenie.
Yup

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
The sad thing is that I actually sit there watching it... I have no life.

None of us do - at least not for that long!

But let me ask anyway, if you had a life would you vacillate every year about whether or not to have a life?

Would you resign from your life, if you had one, amidst tears and many plaudits from Jim Brown and Chris Berman - only to return to life (like a zombie?) to destroy the long cherished hopes of Aaron Rogers?

Would you do it every year for 4 years in a row? Even if you started to look old? Even if everyone started to hate you as much as the president?

What if you were George Bodenheimer?

Re: Am I the only one who doesnt give a crap about brett favre?
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
Who's Brett Favre?
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think I am the only one who doesn't give a crap about Aaron Rodgers, Let Brett Play, Let Brett Play!!!

the packers probley give a crap about rogers because they have a ton invested in him, training wise, and if they let brett hold the franchise hostage for a 4th year in a row, he probley walks next year instead of resigning, and that makes them the miami doplhins with regardess to the QB position, drafting rookies till one sticks, and being mediocre for the next 10 years.

at least they know, somewhat, what rogers brings to the table and that he knows thier system.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think I am the only one who doesn't give a crap about Aaron Rodgers, Let Brett Play, Let Brett Play!!!

I can't wait until this time next year, after Rodgers successful first season, when people say "Brett?  Oh yeah, that old dude who wanted to come back. Whatever."
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think the guy just realized that when you are a retired QB, you no longer get all the young girls throwing themselves at you, so he changed his mind  ;D

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »

Offline RickyDavisfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
CDIF TP for the care-o-meter.

I dislike ESPN. I dislike PTI. I dislike Around The Horn. Since Brett Farve is the cause of my dislike for those shows (and others etc.. etc..) I guess you could say that I dislike Brett Farve, thus, I do "not give a crap about brett farve", to answer your question.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 02:10:24 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
my favroite part of espns brett "the messiah" farve's coverage is that no one calls him out for you know, the giant hypicritcal crap he's pulling.

does anyone remeber javon walker? grossly underpaid, he didn't want to live up to his contract (this is what brett's doing, he has a contract, but he doesn't like what the teams is goign to do with him by having him backup) and brett HAMMERED him about "oh, you have to play for your contract, even if you don't like what the team is doing. in my world, you sign a contract, you live up to it" walker took bretts advice, came in, blew out his knee, and has not yet recovered.

but, apperntly that doesn't apply when it comes to brett. he gets to call the shots for some reason. And ESPN plays right into it, what about an angle on how selfish this guy is? for the last 3 years he's paralyed this organization at the QB possision, because he loves to be at the center of attention. will brett be back? will he not? he's played into that media circus for 3 years now.

well, sorry brett, your act got tired this time.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 02:54:29 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Personally, I would like to see Brett Favre, Roger Clemens, and Barry Bond get their own reality series on VH1 called, "I Love The Attention!"

Each week the three Uber Stars compete against each other in some narcissistic competition to win the opening story on Sunday night ESPN Sports Center.

The first competition could be to see how many times they could refer to themselves in the third person in 60 seconds,

Bret Farve: "Brett Farve just wants to play football. Bret Farve gave his decision to come out of retirement a lot of thought. At least 12 seconds! In the end it was the best thing for Brett Farve to do for his family and team. Brett Farve has...."

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks