Author Topic: USA Battles to Top Russia  (Read 7313 times)

USA Battles to Top Russia
« on: August 03, 2008, 06:30:41 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

Re: USA Battles to Top Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
a 19 point win is a battle?

i plan on watching it tonight when they replay it.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:01:36 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

I was up and it was a battle.  The more important thing though is this, Russia was without one of its better players, and two Spain a few weeks ago beat this same Russian team by 30 some points.  The matchup zone really bothered the US and alot of one v one went on. Russia really forced the tempo throughout the game.  I kept hearing Fran saying oh this looks like a team thats ready to get the real games started...umm I don't think so.  I think Russia's style of play totally bored the USA.  It was really interesting game to say the least.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 05:09:55 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible

Yeah, it really was, as crazy as it sounds. Russia even brought it within 8 on two different occasions. Their zone defense gave us fits and they dictated the tempo, as Scribbles mentioned. In addition, their hustle was impeccable. They outworked us all game long.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
good game; JR Holden would be a nice backup for rondo.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Yeah, it really was, as crazy as it sounds. Russia even brought it within 8 on two different occasions. Their zone defense gave us fits and they dictated the tempo, as Scribbles mentioned. In addition, their hustle was impeccable. They outworked us all game long.

so, was there anything the US coach could or should have done to overcome this?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Maybe go back in time 20 years? That would help.

It is a warmup game, so it is hard to tell how much of it is meaningful, especially with out half-hearted zone. Nevertheless, we definitely take the most fadeaway jumpers in international basketball. We really like the one on one moves on offense.

Fran was also skeptical about how effective our PG pressure would be against Greece or Spain. Considering Calderon is already all star caliber on offense in the NBA, I can see why he has the concern.

Bottomline is the tournament becomes single elimination in the finals, and upsets are always possible. We do not seem so much better than other teams that we are impervious to upsets.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible
so i just caught up with the replay of the game. definitely seemed much closer than the score would represent. team usa, still looks awful. they're playing international ball like it were an allstar game. i'm not convinced with coach k's teachings. and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.n, there are so many fouls. its like every time you go into the paint its a foul. thank god we have the nba game.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:33:04 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
its like every time you go into the paint its a foul. thank god we have the nba game.

Did I just read that correctly?

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 12:35:40 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible
its like every time you go into the paint its a foul. thank god we have the nba game.

Did I just read that correctly?

yes you did. the international game seems like 2 seconds theres a foul. sure the nba has lots of fouls too but they're usually non shooting fouls (hand checks). maybe its because the midrange is non existent in international play.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:34:10 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Depends on who the zone is set up. I mean does it collapse inside the paint incase of a drive? Then have Paul o Deron drive to the basket and split out the ball to the perimeter for a free 3p. If the outside defenders keep their spots then pass the ball to your big guy especially if the defense is 3-2. This set up also allows free 3p from the side.

The easiest way to beat a zone is to run the floor which is not always doable. Zone needs patience

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »

Offline professorperkins

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 10

Remember, Coach K doesn't just want you to be a good player, he wants you to be a good person. That said, he's not much for x's and o's, which might become a problem when the games matter. Fraschilla noted that he has yet to call a timeout in the exhibition run. The main problem, I feel, was that Russia simply played great defense. The smooth ball movement wasn't there, and everything was a little hectic in the half-court. There was also WAY too much one-on-one going on.

That said - it was a solid win. A grinder over one of the world's top teams is much more satisfying in my mind than annihilating the sisters of the poor who didn't even qualify for the Olympics.

good game; JR Holden would be a nice backup for rondo.
One of Fraschilla's running commentaries was that yes, a lot of these guys could come over and play or coach in the NBA, but wouldn't want to because a) they make way more money and b) would rather be stars.
"Chicks dig the offensive rebound." - Max