Author Topic: Hermann signs one-year deal with Pistons  (Read 4143 times)

Re: Hermann signs one-year deal with Pistons
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:11:38 PM »

Offline ManBearPig

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I don't think that's really a big deal.  Unless somebody is a big Walter Hermann fan.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:17:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
for the 07-08 season mr. hermann averaged....

Min 7.05
Pts 3.4
Reb 1.6
Ast 0.4
FG 39.2 %

somehow, i am not too worried this signing will put the pistons over the top.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'm surprised the Pistons re-signed a player that barely made the court last season. It's not like the competition was too high. Another sign of Joe D's lac of satisfaction with Flip's coaching? I think so. I can't see another reason why they'd keep him after him showing so little.

Herrmann would have been a great signing for the Celtics. He would have helped balance out the frontcourt and wings. It's a shame.

The Pistons have a really nice player here, now they have to play him.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I'm surprised the Pistons re-signed a player that barely made the court last season. It's not like the competition was too high. Another sign of Joe D's lac of satisfaction with Flip's coaching? I think so. I can't see another reason why they'd keep him after him showing so little.

Herrmann would have been a great signing for the Celtics. He would have helped balance out the frontcourt and wings. It's a shame.

Insurance.  The Pistons can afford it.  I also wish that the Celtics had pursued him more aggressively.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:56:51 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think Dumars is looking at keeping player like him to fill the void after possible trades of the SF or PF positions. Billups has been said to stay, so it's Rip, Prince, and Sheed that are up for grabs(unless some hellacious trade comes knocking on Dumars' door.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 03:48:29 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Insurance.  The Pistons can afford it.  I also wish that the Celtics had pursued him more aggressively.
At the start of free agency all the reports out of Detroit were that Joe Dumars' top target in free agency was going to be a small forward. That he didn't like how big a hole it was during the playoffs and that it needed addressing. That he also didn't want to pay the MLE, a smaller shorter contract. Several of the players that Joe was reportedly looking at signed elsewhere - like James Jones.

What I find odd about this signing is that Joe D never got his man. He never filled that gap. I think Herrmann is being asked to provide a larger role than insurance. I think he'll be given a great chance of being a regular in the rotation.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 10:06:34 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think Dumars is looking at keeping player like him to fill the void after possible trades of the SF or PF positions. Billups has been said to stay, so it's Rip, Prince, and Sheed that are up for grabs(unless some hellacious trade comes knocking on Dumars' door.
It is widely suspected/known that Sheed has been available and Prince is probably the most valuable for his defense. The price tag is going to be high for either. I like Rip but shooting guards that shoot a lot are easier to find. I think the biggest thing holding the Pistons up from making a big trade is that they want a bigman. Just my opinion. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Would have liked to see Hermann with the C's as a player; but not sure about the chemistry. The C's need a big SF. Walker is the only true SF and he is undersized even though he played some PF in College. Pierce is a tweener as well.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
If that is really the case, somebody keeps bringing up Demarr Johnson, but I don't really know anything about the young man.  From what I can tell he had a lot of potential to be a Julian Wright type of player coming out of the draft and he hasn't done much in the league anybody know anything about this kid?

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Would have liked to see Hermann with the C's as a player; but not sure about the chemistry. The C's need a big SF. Walker is the only true SF and he is undersized even though he played some PF in College. Pierce is a tweener as well.

Is 6'9" undersized for SF? He's big.