Author Topic: Dikembe  (Read 3335 times)

Dikembe
« on: August 01, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I read that Mutombo won't sign with Houston for the veteran minimum.  Would he sign for the minimum with the Celtics if maybe the team makes a nice donation to the hospital that he named after his mother?  Would that be against the collective bargaining agreement?  I think Deke would be a nice backup for Perk.  Without going over the vet minimum it won't count as much on the cap, plus it looks good for the C's public relations and Dikembe is happy because it helps his people.

Just trying to think outside the box here.

Re: Dikembe
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:02:48 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Not to be mean but isn't there already a forum topic about this? To add, I don't think he wants to leave Houston, if the Rockets don't give him the money he will retire.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:09:20 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
Not to be mean but isn't there already a forum topic about this? To add, I don't think he wants to leave Houston, if the Rockets don't give him the money he will retire.
If there is I didn't see it.  I also didn't look very hard.

My point was more about maybe getting him to come by contributing to something that means a lot to him.  That might get him to consider coming here.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Not to be mean again, but, the way the rockets have kept him on their team is because they have donated alot of money to his hospital which does not count against salary.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Would that be against the collective bargaining agreement? 

Yes, that's against the rules.  Similarly, teams can't hire a player as an "assistant coach", and pay him a huge salary to get around the cap.  Pretty much anything that can be seen as compensation will be counted against the salary cap.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 06:15:27 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I don't recall any Mutombo talk here this summer. I think he is regarded as being on a Houston or retire status.

To be honest, at this stage of his career, I don't think he fits the C's rotating style of defense.

Not a bad suggestion though :)

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
Not to be mean again, but, the way the rockets have kept him on their team is because they have donated alot of money to his hospital which does not count against salary.
You don't have to say "not to be mean".  I didn't take it that way.  The worst part is the "not to be mean" part.

Thanks for the info though.  I didn't know the Rockets already made those types of donations.  I would think that it would be legal to do that type of thing, because it goes to a non-profit organization, not directly to the player like it would in the "assistant coach" role.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 10:40:10 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I like Dikembe for 2 things. 1.) His waving finger after blocking a shot. 2.) His unwillingness to give it up. He's entering what..his 35th season or something, and last year with yao's injury, he proved he still has enough gas in the tank to get some blocks and rebounds and make the wide open dunk. I disagree with whoever said he wouldn't fit in our system. Boston can play anyway it seems. Run and Gun or Half Court. It doesn't matter, and Houston does the same(just nowhere near as effective b/c of lack of talent) The dude has 5 foot long legs, so it takes him 4 step to get across half court. And if teams were dumb enough to leave him down there by himself, then we could just have KG play quarter back again and throw the full court pass to him every time for a wide open dunk. I like the idea of getting him, but I don't see it happening. He will retire if Houston doesn't make it happen for him. The guy doesn't need money for himself, he just wants it all to donate to all of his 100 charities.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 05:45:34 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
He throws a mean elbow as well. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like Dikembe for 2 things. 1.) His waving finger after blocking a shot. 2.) His unwillingness to give it up. He's entering what..his 35th season or something, and last year with yao's injury, he proved he still has enough gas in the tank to get some blocks and rebounds and make the wide open dunk. I disagree with whoever said he wouldn't fit in our system. Boston can play anyway it seems. Run and Gun or Half Court. It doesn't matter, and Houston does the same(just nowhere near as effective b/c of lack of talent) The dude has 5 foot long legs, so it takes him 4 step to get across half court. And if teams were dumb enough to leave him down there by himself, then we could just have KG play quarter back again and throw the full court pass to him every time for a wide open dunk. I like the idea of getting him, but I don't see it happening. He will retire if Houston doesn't make it happen for him. The guy doesn't need money for himself, he just wants it all to donate to all of his 100 charities.

They were saying he wouldn't fit in our rotating defensive scheme. The offense wasn't the point.

If he can still show against the pick and roll, and then get back quickly to his man, then great. If not, we would have to make a big adjustment with him in.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
No way that he leaves Houston, but if he does I sure don't want it to be here. He is too slow. Give me PJ any day over him. Give me Alonzo. I'd take Pollard over Deke. Once upon a time he was a nice player, but it hasn't been for a few years.