Author Topic: JR Giddens Interview on NBA.com  (Read 3179 times)

JR Giddens Interview on NBA.com
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800009831

With the questions about his past lingering in the minds of many as he enters his first season, Boston Celtics rookie two-guard J.R. Giddens could be bitter. But the first-round pick breathes life into a cliche: He really is "just happy to be here."

At the 2008 Rookie Photo Shoot in Tarrytown, N.Y. on July 30, Giddens' energy was infectious. He never stopped smiling, and couldn't travel from point A to point B without kicking a move from an apparently endless supply of dance steps, all in time to the pulsing, window-rattling hip-hop bass beats spun by the house DJ.

But the New Mexico graduate will bring more than energy to Boston. His athleticism -- he averaged 8.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game last season as a guard -- and scoring touch (16.3 PPG, .516 FG%) are renowned, but Giddens knows where he can make his initial impact in Beantown: on defense. The aftershocks will likely come in interview sessions, because the kid reeled off the day's funniest quote.

It might be difficult to crack the rotation when joining a World Champion, but don't get down -- Giddens is loving every minute of this. Check the Q&A for proof:

NBA.com: How’s your summer been going, man?
J.R. Giddens: It’s been going great, really. I’m working out every day, trying to get bigger and stronger and get myself prepared to step in and help these guys win some ballgames.

NBA.com: They did a good job of that last season, ha.
J.R. Giddens: Yeah, I think they did very well last season. [Laughs] World champs, best record in the league and a great defensive team. So that’s my mindset – just get bigger, stronger, faster so I can come out and help these guys on the defensive end.

NBA.com: That’s got to be exciting joining the champs. What are you looking forward to about being a part of that squad?
J.R. Giddens: Just learning from all those guys. They’re world champions, and obviously, the organization’s top of the line, with them accomplishing what they did. Just trying to be a sponge, soak up everything. Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are great guards, and I play guard, so I’m trying to learn from those guys, KG, Doc and just make myself the best basketball player. That’s what the dream is.

NBA.com: Have you gotten to speak with any of those guys?
J.R. Giddens: No, I haven’t got the chance to speak with anybody yet, but I’m very excited. I’m looking forward to it because those guys are my heroes. I was just watching them (wide-eyed) a couple of months ago like, “KG! Ray Allen! Paul Pierce!” Now I’m going to be in the same locker room, playing with them. It’s gonna be amazing, man.

NBA.com: Have you been in contact with any other teammates?
J.R. Giddens: I haven’t been in contact with them. I’m pretty sure they’re celebrating or getting their things together. I haven’t even signed yet, so I’m just a rookie coming in, trying to find his way.

NBA.com: What do you think will be the biggest adjustment for you?
J.R. Giddens: Just the speed of the game and the level of play. It’s going to be a high level of play – it’s the NBA. The guys are very skilled, athletic and have a high basketball IQs, so I’m pretty sure everything’s going to be faster, more physical. Though I don’t know if it’s going to be more physical than college just because you’ve got all those bruising practices and in the games they let you touch a lot more. It’s just going to be a big learning experience.

NBA.com: You said you were working to get bigger, faster, stronger – is there anything you’ve been focusing on in your game?
J.R. Giddens: Just shooting a lot of free throws and a lot of jumpers. In the summertime, this is when you add a little bit to your game, like Jordan and Kobe coming back with the new patent move. And if my jump shot’s not there, just make sure my jump shot’s clicking. Working on everything, man.

NBA.com: So what’s the new move coming out for this year?
J.R. Giddens: The new one coming out, it’s gonna be called [Here he looks side-to-side, then leans in conspiratorially] “the defensive slide.” That’s how I’m going to earn minutes, playing defense, so I’ll just be defensive sliding. That’s my new move.

NBA.com: Did you get the chance to play in Summer League?
J.R. Giddens: I didn’t get the chance to play in Summer League. I kind of wanted to. I was very anxious to get out there, seeing everyone play on TV. I just had to be patient and wait my turn. I’ll get to play soon. Right now, I’m just making sure everything’s up to speed by game day, so I’m working every day.

NBA.com: What are you planning on doing for the rest of the summer?
J.R. Giddens: Probably just hang out in Oklahoma and California. My family’s from Oklahoma, I went to school in New Mexico and I train out there in California. So just train all those places, handle my business and like I said, work on my game, try to get bigger every day. Because right now with our schedules, we’re training so much that you’ve got to get in the gym and lift wherever you’re at. This is what you do now. You don’t have go to school, you don’t have to do all this, you just have to play basketball.

NBA.com: With all the travel, what’s a place that’s made an impression on you?
J.R. Giddens: I went to the Celtics practice facility and was out there in Waltham, where they trained at and lifted and did all the hard work that was put into (their championship). That’s probably the most exciting place that I’ve seen besides being on first-class airplanes and seeing cities. They had the new banner up there and you can feel all the tradition from the banners and the organization. That was the best for me.

NBA.com: You mentioned the first-class flights – does it feel like life has changed?
J.R. Giddens: It really does feel like life has changed. In New Mexico, I was 23, I had a LoboCard. I didn’t even have a credit or debit card, I’m eating in our student union building. Now I can eat a couple more places, do a couple more things. It’s lovely, man. A dream come true.

NBA.com: Are any family or friends coming with you to Boston?
J.R. Giddens: I’m gonna have one of my female cousins move out there with me. She was my best friend growing up; we’re really close. She wants to get away from Oklahoma. It’s something new, she’s a year younger than me. She’ll come out there and cook for me. It’ll be good to have family near me.

NBA.com: What are you looking forward to most about starting your first NBA season?
J.R. Giddens: I don’t know what to look forward to. I’m a kid in a candy store, and I have a BAD sweet tooth. So I don’t know where to run, I don’t know what to do. I just know wherever the path chooses for me to go, I’m gonna try to stay on it.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

Re: JR Giddens Interview on NBA.com
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
he talks the talk but i'm still waiting for him to sign a contract.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Sounds like Giddens got an A from his Interview 101 class in college.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
He really does talk the talk.  He has either been coached really well in terms of what to say, or perhaps he has matured and the character issues are in the past.  In any event, as a lifelong Lobo and Celtics fan, I cannot wait to see JR play for the C's!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:40:07 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
This guy sounds like he is just really excited to be Celtic, but he is being smart and trying to secure his future as well. Being young, he certainly is 'talking the talk', I think that is simply a matter of a kid who realizes he is about to finally 'make it' and is really wound up. I think he knows he can play in the NBA and that has been his dream above everything else through good and bad. Now his dream is about to come true.

I know I would be talking a mile a minute and be just as excited if I was his age and in his position. Here he is, about to join the World Champion Celtics. Who wouldnt be excited?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
He really does talk the talk.  He has either been coached really well in terms of what to say, or perhaps he has matured and the character issues are in the past. 

A player can speak well and still be immature and lack character.

I am not expecting any character problems, but I don't know the guy so I can only guess.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:21:15 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Kid in a candy store is about the most cliche thing ever said by any sports player.

Then to add that you have a BAD sweet tooth, I dont even get it. What does that mean?

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Kid in a candy store is about the most cliche thing ever said by any sports player.

Then to add that you have a BAD sweet tooth, I dont even get it. What does that mean?

its like saying he's a kid who loves candy, in a candy store. aka a basketball player who loves the celtics, drafted by the celtics.

Become Legendary.