Author Topic: Al Jefferson vs KG  (Read 8256 times)

Al Jefferson vs KG
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:08:14 AM »

Offline micah kenneth

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 9
There is no  question about the talents KG has and had  through out his NBA career, he's passionate and determined, he's a real team player and a good team leader.
With all that can be said about KG his reign of supremacy is coming to an end !
Al Jefferson the player the C's traded to get KG is one of the best power forwards in the league right now as of last season, with a lot more promise to his game as he hasn't yet playing at the pinnacle of his game.
Al doesn't have the intensity of KG but Al is every bit as effective as KG in terms of scoring and better at getting to the free throw line.
Al  doesn't pass the ball as well as KG, but in passing the ball to Al there aren't many players who can catch the ball as well as Al Jefferson, he makes bad passes look like good passes.
Al doesn't shoot the ball as well from the perimeter as KG, but in the pain Al needs to be doubled and triple teamed.
Rebounding I give Al Jefferson the edge now that KG is a little pass his prime.
So at this time in their careers I would take Al Jefferson over KG.
Al kind of reminds me of Moses Malone

Re: Al Jefferson vs KG
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Celtics are a win now team.  Therefor KG is the choice.

T-Wolves are a rebuilding team.  Jefferson is the choice.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I would think about 2 out of every 3 GMs would take Al over KG right now if starting a team.  But the Celtics were not starting a team, they were building a team of the present and that is why KG was the correct move.  The C's would've still been good with Al over KG this year, but not World Champs good, and they probably don't get to that point while Pierce and Allen are still so effective.  This topic has been covered quite a bit though...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:25:31 AM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »

Offline dcsceltics

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 5
Kevin Garnett is better than Al Jefferson, and always will be. Al is going to be a great player down the road, but he lacks the intensity that KG plays with. KG is the best defender in the NBA and thats why he will be better than Jefferson. And Garnett is better than Al at rebounding, he is longer and jumps higher. On offense though, they are even but KG is a better passer.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
For the next two seasons or so, I'd take KG.  He is in a different stratosphere than Big Al in terms of defense, and he's also significantly better at passing, stretching the floor, and leadership. 

Obviously, in the future, you'd want Big Al, because KG's skills have begun to decline ever so slightly from their peak.  He's on the downside of his prime.

However, if a team needed a power forward to help them "win now", I think just about every team, universally, would take KG.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
This thread was started a couple years too early.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'll take Al Jefferson when KG is retired. Until then, KG is my choice.

Also, in today's NBA, it is very easy to shut down the "big man" down low.

The game is just too tailor made for the wings of this league.

It might actually be going even in a smaller direction, favoring the Point Guards....

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »

Offline micah kenneth

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 9
Not taking anything away from KG but he has a history of not playing well in the money games if his team is relying upon him to take over games offensively !
My implication with the start of the thread was right now if I had a choice between the two players regardless if the team is rebuilding or marching toward a title I think that Al is the player to take.
Al is tenacious offensively,  he's a competitor on both ends of the floor, no he's not as smart a player as KG and he's not as intense within himself, but Al is coming up real fast and as of this coming season I would bet a house to a nickel that Al shows up as the better player in nearly every category.
Minnesota should be a very competitive team this season largely due to Al Jefferson development and readiness not to mention his team will be healthier and they have some added good pieces.
I know its hard for some to accept the changing of the tide  but KG is on his way down and Al Jefferson is on his way up and at this point of their careers there isn't much difference statically with the edge going to Al !

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
This one says it all:

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Not taking anything away from KG but he has a history of not playing well in the money games if his team is relying upon him to take over games offensively !
My implication with the start of the thread was right now if I had a choice between the two players regardless if the team is rebuilding or marching toward a title I think that Al is the player to take.
Al is tenacious offensively,  he's a competitor on both ends of the floor, no he's not as smart a player as KG and he's not as intense within himself, but Al is coming up real fast and as of this coming season I would bet a house to a nickel that Al shows up as the better player in nearly every category.
Minnesota should be a very competitive team this season largely due to Al Jefferson development and readiness not to mention his team will be healthier and they have some added good pieces.
I know its hard for some to accept the changing of the tide  but KG is on his way down and Al Jefferson is on his way up and at this point of their careers there isn't much difference statically with the edge going to Al !

Did you happen to watch see what the Celtics did this season?  I agree with you that KG is on his way down and Al is on his way up.  But like I said, you're about 2 years too early with this post.  KG is still a much better all around player than Al, and will continue to be for at least the next couple years.  There will come a time when we all would prefer to have Big Al instead of Garnett, but there should never be a time when any of us regret the trade that Danny made.  Without it, we never win a title.  It's a simple as that.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Al is tenacious offensively,  he's a competitor on both ends of the floor

See, that's not accurate.  Yes, Big Al is excellent offensively.  However, he is certainly not a "competitor" on the defensive end.  Regardless of what his stats are, he committed as much to defense last year as maybe Zach Randolph.  In other words, nothing.  Big Al doesn't have good defensive instincts, but worse, last year he didn't put forth any effort whatsoever on that end.  That explains why opposing big men shot roughly 56% against him, and nearly matched him in rebounds per 48 minutes.

I would bet a house to a nickel that Al shows up as the better player in nearly every category.

What are the categories that you're counting?  Because, I'd definitely like to wager a nickel on KG being the better player in terms of passing, defending, and outside shooting.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:20:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Al is tenacious offensively,  he's a competitor on both ends of the floor

See, that's not accurate.  Yes, Big Al is excellent offensively.  However, he is certainly not a "competitor" on the defensive end.  Regardless of what his stats are, he committed as much to defense last year as maybe Zach Randolph.  In other words, nothing.  Big Al doesn't have good defensive instincts, but worse, last year he didn't put forth any effort whatsoever on that end.  That explains why opposing big men shot roughly 56% against him, and nearly matched him in rebounds per 48 minutes.

I think that Al gets too much of a bad rap on defense because he's not a center but that's what he's forced to play. His defensive numbers have always been significantly better vs PFs than Cs.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »

Offline 17iscoming

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
It is simple to me.  Consider Offense, Defense, and Leadership.  KG destroys Al in 2 of 3 areas and the third one is perhaps too close to call.

As for KG not taking over offensively....Can anyone remember a single instance of Bill Russell being accused of not taking over offensively?  No, because he had Tommy, Sam Jones, etc.  KG has PP, RA, House, etc as well.  Why is this such as large issue for people?

The brings championship defense, incredible intangibles and good offense.  How does at Al even compare at this moment?  Talk to me in 2-3 years.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »

Offline bigjohnson34st

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2

Sooooo true. KG is the present. Big Al is the future. Your comparing apples and oranges.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

Sooooo true. KG is the present. Big Al is the future. Your comparing apples and oranges.

more like kobe and jordan but on a much lesser scale.

Become Legendary.