Author Topic: Which prep to pro would have been the most dominating in college?  (Read 12218 times)

Re: Which prep to pro would have been the most dominating in college?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:45 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Moses Malone....19 year old rookie in pro ball:  18.8ppg at .571fg%, 14.6rpg.  I think he would have brought Maryland their first championship.  Think Walton at UCLA.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 09:35:29 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'd have to say it would be the best player... so the debate would be who is the best straight to pros player of all-time? Isn't it Kobe?

Nope.  Lebron is better than Kobe.

I think that projected he will be better, but at this point, I don't know that LeBron has a strong case that he is a better player than Kobe. The bloom is off the rose after the finals, but I think Kobe has played at a higher level more consistently than LeBron has. LeBron has shown flashes where, if he could maintain that level of play, he could be the best ever, but so far he hasn't been able to do that. In my opinion. But I can see where you look at LeBron's best and Kobe's best and say LeBron is better.
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 10:04:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
...at this point, I don't know that LeBron has a strong case that he is a better player than Kobe.

See, I disagree.  I think Lebron has played at a higher level than Kobe in each of the last two postseasons.  Even when Lebron was shooting poorly against the Celtics, he was still putting his teammates in a position to win by setting them up with brilliant passes.  When his shot *was* falling, he was nearly unstoppable.

Looking at the numbers from last season, I think Lebron does, indeed, have a strong case for being better than Kobe:

PPG: Lebron 30.0, Kobe 28.3
RPG: Lebron 7.9, Kobe 6.3
APG: Lebron 7.2, Kobe 5.4
SPG: Lebron 1.8, Kobe 1.8
BPG: Lebron 1.1, Kobe 0.5
FG%: Lebron 48.4%, Kobe 45.9%
eFG%: Lebron .518, Kobe .503
PER: Lebron 29.1, Kobe 24.2

Kobe shoots better from outside.  That's about the only area where I think he's clearly better than Lebron.

Also, even beyond who is better right now, the question was, who would have been better in college.  To me, Lebron was much more advanced than Kobe at that stage.  Lebron came into the league NBA-ready, while Kobe went through a lengthy adjustment period. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
...at this point, I don't know that LeBron has a strong case that he is a better player than Kobe.

See, I disagree.  I think Lebron has played at a higher level than Kobe in each of the last two postseasons.  Even when Lebron was shooting poorly against the Celtics, he was still putting his teammates in a position to win by setting them up with brilliant passes.  When his shot *was* falling, he was nearly unstoppable.

Looking at the numbers from last season, I think Lebron does, indeed, have a strong case for being better than Kobe:

Kobe shoots better from outside.  That's about the only area where I think he's clearly better than Lebron.

Also, even beyond who is better right now, the question was, who would have been better in college.  To me, Lebron was much more advanced than Kobe at that stage.  Lebron came into the league NBA-ready, while Kobe went through a lengthy adjustment period. 

id have to agree with roy here. when kobe's shot is falling he passes. but when it isnt he jsut forces it more. with lebron its not. he passes even when hes shot doesnt fall. thats one reason why the celts had a hard time against cleveland

but guys, how about bassy and gerald green?  ;D

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 08:12:31 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
LeBron James.

He was NBA ready coming out of High School. Imagine what he would have done at the college level? He would have dunked on everyone!

I dont want to get off topic but how can anyone say Kobe is better than LeBron when LeBron beats him in almost every statistical category?

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »

Offline GLS

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 26
Moses Malone

or some dude named Lebron.

ok ok...I'll take Lebron this time.  ;D

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 04:21:28 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
A lot of it would depend on which/whose college system each played under,whereas some colleges are based on defense more so than others,not giving some potential bigtime scorers'the opportunity to showcase or flourish in their system .Their overall game usually get surpressed until they reach the NBA,however,given all played under (1) same system and was allowed to play more of a offensive minded system,id give Lebron the #1 spot,but if the team played with  more of a defensive philosophy ,i might go with a shot blocker-type,or someone with the better defensive skills at that time,so a BIG would probably be my #1 pick.

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

Kobe has a much more polished post game as well.  LeBron doesn't have it, partially because he hasn't needed it and because he usually initiates from the perimeter.

But LeBron is still on Kobe's level with putting the ball in the basket, regardless of how.  Just another area where Kobe is better right now.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Starting 5:

Korleone Young
Ndubi Ebi
Leon Smith
James Lang
Ousmane Cisse

that team would kill
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Lebron.

He was the most polished prep to pro, in my opinion.

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Who had the skills/coordination, size, stength, court vision, B-ball IQ, and maturity at 18 to be a star at a skill position in the NBA? Only one -- Lebron.    There have been other 'man-children' -- Moses, Oden, Dawkins; there have been others with great skills -- Kobe, Tracy; and there have been those with height and skill -- Howard, KG. But I have not seen anyone as complete as Lebron at 18.  Incredibly srong, great court vision, passing skills, handling skills, size, maturity, IQ, tall yet quick enough for his position, and a respectable shot (relative weakness) -- Lebron was amazing on day 1 without relying singularly on height, size, strength or a particular savant-type skill.  He was complete enough at 18 to be a star in the NBA.  Lebron in college would have been scary for anyone playing against him -- much as I am sure high schoolers quaked when they saw him coming.

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Kobe has a much more polished post game as well.  LeBron doesn't have it, partially because he hasn't needed it and because he usually initiates from the perimeter.

But LeBron is still on Kobe's level with putting the ball in the basket, regardless of how.  Just another area where Kobe is better right now.

Here's what I don't get about Lebron vs. Kobe arguments. A lot of times Kobe supporters end up falling back on the "well he can score in so many different ways" argument to try and prove he's better. This is illogical; if Kobe was so good at scoring in so many different ways, he would outproduce Lebron. a fadeaway, a turnaround, a close miss, an up and under and a pull up three is nine points; 5 blow-bys and jams is 10 points. less stylish, but more effective.

This type of argument happened a lot when shaq and kobe's primes coincided. Obviously i'm exaggerating, but Kobe supporters would say kobe was better because he had 5 different offensive moves to get his points whereas shaq had no moves and just bulled in points. Now a similar argument is made in kobe vs. lebron debates. well i'm sorry, i don't care how many different "weapons" kobe has, in shaq's prime and now shaq and lebron's "fewer weapons" were more effective at getting the ball in the hoop. I don't care how you do it, lebron is more effective than kobe right now at getting results. you can argue style all you want, but lebron's production is better.

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2008, 10:31:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Here's what I don't get about Lebron vs. Kobe arguments. A lot of times Kobe supporters end up falling back on the "well he can score in so many different ways" argument to try and prove he's better. This is illogical; if Kobe was so good at scoring in so many different ways, he would outproduce Lebron. a fadeaway, a turnaround, a close miss, an up and under and a pull up three is nine points; 5 blow-bys and jams is 10 points. less stylish, but more effective.

This type of argument happened a lot when shaq and kobe's primes coincided. Obviously i'm exaggerating, but Kobe supporters would say kobe was better because he had 5 different offensive moves to get his points whereas shaq had no moves and just bulled in points. Now a similar argument is made in kobe vs. lebron debates. well i'm sorry, i don't care how many different "weapons" kobe has, in shaq's prime and now shaq and lebron's "fewer weapons" were more effective at getting the ball in the hoop. I don't care how you do it, lebron is more effective than kobe right now at getting results. you can argue style all you want, but lebron's production is better.
When playing against +.500 ball clubs Kobe Bryant has the highest scoring average in the league, LeBron is second(30 versus 28ppg), Kobe also was the more efficient scorer (1.37 points per shot versus 1.25 while shooting better from the field, perimeter and the FT line). That's where the versatility offensively comes into play and shows it's benefits.

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 10:36:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Jermaine O Neal would have been one of the best big man off that list in college. His game didn't change very much from HS to the pros, lots of similar moves especially in the post. He was more advanced offensively than guys like Dwight Howard.

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 07:34:04 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Starting 5:

Korleone Young
Ndubi Ebi
Leon Smith
James Lang
Ousmane Cisse

that team would kill

what team would that be without gerald green?  :D