Poll

If You Were Ainge Which Player Would You Sign Towards the End of the Summer?

Alonzo Mourning
37 (39.8%)
Shaun Livingston
3 (3.2%)
P.J. Brown
10 (10.8%)
J.R. Smith
3 (3.2%)
Delonte West
5 (5.4%)
Bonzi Wells
7 (7.5%)
Robert Swift
4 (4.3%)
Michael Finley
6 (6.5%)
Jason Williams
6 (6.5%)
Darius Miles
8 (8.6%)
Stephon Marbury
4 (4.3%)
Shannon Brown
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: August 31, 2008, 09:24:22 AM

Author Topic: Danny Talks a Little...  (Read 7841 times)

Danny Talks a Little...
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:24:22 AM »

Offline New England Sports Blog

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 6
Marc J. Spears has a few quotes from our Director of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge this morning.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/08/01/training_camp_on_the_road_to_rhode_island/

Re: Danny Talks a Little...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Zo.   Backup C is the biggest hole right now.  With the addition of Zo, KG will never be forced to play C.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:34:36 AM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
While many of these players don't blow anyone away, many of them would fit perfectly into roles with the Celts and Mourning is one of them.  If P.J. can do it "ZO" will surely provide Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins with some experience and toughness off the bench.  In fact I believe he would be an upgrade over Brown.  I would also look forward to seeing the intense duo of "KG" and Mourning play off each other in the big game atmosphere that will be 82 games for the defending Champions next season!

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:36:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Do we have to pick one of those guys? If he was still left late in the summer and Danny could get him cheap, Bonzi Wells, would be my choice. He would help with scoring off the bench, which this team needs desperately, and he would fill a need at backup 3.

If not him then Theo Ratliff, but I'm not sure he'll be available and I'm not sure he hasn't left a bad taste in management's mouth from the last time he was here.

I think backup big is clearly the need but I hate all the options.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
If Zo is healthy than he sounds like a perfect fit.  Although if not I would leave the spot open until later in the season.

And I concur a Zo and KG interior may just scare the other team out of the lane.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I just wanted to be the guy that votes for Robert Swift.  That's all I have to contribute to this thread.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
We need help at Small Forward. Right now Walker is the only legit backup to Pierce. Not good....

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I need a Francisco Elson voting option. I want a big man.

I don't believe Zo is willing to leave Miami and will continue that believe until events prove otherwise. If he was on the market he'd be my pick. Head and shoulders above everyone else.

If not him then Theo Ratliff, but I'm not sure he'll be available and I'm not sure he hasn't left a bad taste in management's mouth from the last time he was here.
Actually I take back the Elson vote, I want Theo. Great call. Detroit aren't bringing him back after the Kwame signing, he's definitely available. Sign him right now and I'm very confident in our backup bigs.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:05:33 AM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Jeff, ;D... We all know Robert Swift will live on forever when it comes to Danny trying to acquire a big man for this team.

Nickagneta,  Good look on "Bonzo"!  Danny has always been a fan of his game and at one point tried to lure him to Boston for cheap money.  Unless Danny has been turned off by the oft-uncommitted Wells, then we might have a match...

Ctrey,  I beg you not to underestimate Billy Walker.  Whether it be the 09 season or in 10 after a year overseas, he will not disappoint (I may be alone in this projection but I have to stick with it :o).

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Jeff, ;D... We all know Robert Swift will live on forever when it comes to Danny trying to acquire a big man for this team.

Nickagneta,  Good look on "Bonzo"!  Danny has always been a fan of his game and at one point tried to lure him to Boston for cheap money.  Unless Danny has been turned off by the oft-uncommitted Wells, then we might have a match...

Ctrey,  I beg you not to underestimate Billy Walker.  Whether it be the 09 season or in 10 after a year overseas, he will not disappoint (I may be alone in this projection but I have to stick with it :o).

I don't think it is underestimating Walker as much as trying to be solid off the bench for this years title run.

I would love for Walker to spend the year over seas so the Celtics can add a C and SF to the bench.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't think it is underestimating Walker as much as trying to be solid off the bench for this years title run.

I would love for Walker to spend the year over seas so the Celtics can add a C and SF to the bench.
I second wd's motion although I doubt it will happen. I'd love to add Wells and Theo to the team and call it a summer. But from the one time the subject was broahed with Walker, he didn't seem to thrilled with the idea.

It's too bad the league doesn't allow one extra position on the roster with that roster spot having to be taken up by a player that has to play in the NBDL all year. They could make it so that he can't play or be active on the roster until the NBDL season is over or unless the team falls below the league mandated amount of active players due to injury.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
We need help at Small Forward. Right now Walker is the only legit backup to Pierce. Not good....
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I just wanted to be the guy that votes for Robert Swift.  That's all I have to contribute to this thread.

I guess that would make me "the other guy who votes for Robert Swift".

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Do we have to pick one of those guys? If he was still left late in the summer and Danny could get him cheap, Bonzi Wells, would be my choice. He would help with scoring off the bench, which this team needs desperately, and he would fill a need at backup 3.

I think backup big is clearly the need but I hate all the options.
Those are the same two guys I would want too.  Theo would fit perfectly in the defensive scheme.  He seems like a good team veteran that could show some things to Patty O'Bryant.

Bonzi would be a perfect Pierce backup and could easily fill in as a starter if Ray or Paul goes down for a few games.  He's not as good as Posey defensively but he makes up for it offensively.  It would be great if he came here for whatever is left of the midlevel.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i know you guys will laugh at this, but what would be REALLY nice is if brian scalabrine came back this season and remembered how he played with kidd and the nets.

now, as my dad always said, "you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets filled first..."

so this is wishful thinking...but if the guy could even provide 10 QUALITY minutes a night we'd be better off.  but he looks lost out there.  i don't understand how he could be such a disaster.  maybe i'm trying to justify the 3 million bucks, but if he could stop shooting those stupid threes and actually help this team it would be a big boost.

it's hard to forgive danny for this one... :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."