Author Topic: The "Who's better" thread.  (Read 2407 times)

The "Who's better" thread.
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Who's better:

LeBron or Kobe

Bird or Magic

Russell or Chamberlain

Havilcek or Pippen

Oden or Beasley

Pick one. Pick them all. Make up your own. But explain why and be ready to back it up. Have fun.

Re: The "Who's better" thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:11:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Lebron.  A physical mismatch.  A better leader. 

Bird.  They are close.  I am a Celtics fan.

Russell.  Just look at the rings

Havilcek.  Pippen is the guy that benched himself when the play wasn't called for him

Oden.  Should be one of the two big men that will run the league for he next decade (like Duncan and Shaq ran the league)

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
It doesn't matter which ONE is better. "It takes a village" (TEAM). If you look at it this way we need to talk about Magic, Bird, Russell, Cousy, Kg and guys like that who recognize this,play by this concept and lead their teammates into playing this way. (I purposely left out Micheal Jordan. Was never a fan of his and thought he was more of a self-promoter).

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:27:21 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
It doesn't matter which ONE is better. "It takes a village" (TEAM). If you look at it this way we need to talk about Magic, Bird, Russell, Cousy, Kg and guys like that who recognize this,play by this concept and lead their teammates into playing this way. (I purposely left out Micheal Jordan. Was never a fan of his and thought he was more of a self-promoter).

Say what you want about Jordan as a person, but as a basketball player, there is no equal.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Kobe. He's an assassin, except when he faces the Celtics in the finals, but the guy did score 81 in a game.

Bird. Best shooter ever, do I really need to explain this one?

Russell. Maybe the best defensive player ever, controlled the league during his career.

Havlicek. Pippen has been overrated his entire career, doesn't even belong in the same breath as Hondo.

Oden. A physical beast, has all the tools to be the best big man in the league.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay the two I think are interesting are Kobe or LeBron and Bird or Magic.

Kobe or LeBron - people love to measure these arguments in championships so before we go any further we all know Kobe won 3 and LeBron none. But that is a by product of the talent surrounding them. Without a doubt Kobe has had more talent surrounding him so of course he won more.

But LeBron is now only 23. He is a physical freak of nature and a talented and gifted player. Kobe is skilled beyond belief and though not physically imposing is an athlete of the highest kind.

But who is better? Passing-LeBron. Shooting-Kobe. Rebounding-LeBron. Defense-Kobe. Character issues-LeBron. Experience-Kobe. Making others better-LeBron. Ball handling-Kobe.

That's pretty even in the obvious areas to look. So how do we determine who's better? I think you have to go to the intangibles. Things like leadership, chemistry, clutchness, image, hustle, will to win, killer instinct, etc.

And as much as LeBron rates highly in those things, until he can show he has something more I have to believe that Kobe has demonstrated more of those qualities. Kobe is clutch beyond clutch. He knows how to bury and opponent better than anyone(Game 4 this years Finals aside), there is no other player in the game today I want the ball in their hands late in a game than Kobe. And when the team's other superstar guard or SF has the ball late there may not be anyone I want guarding that player more than Kobe.

Kobe is a Laker and I hate him. But he is the best in the game today. Now when it is all said and done with both guys careers over who will be better? That's an argument for another decade.

Bird or Magic

Let's face it, if you lived through that era you've had this argument with a Laker fan before. I always said Bird. Always argued Bird.

Today, in retrospect, I not so sure.

Larry was three years older than Magic and I believe he matured both mentally and physically and skill-wise before Magic did. I think they hit their peaks at different times Bird 81-86, Magic 85-91. We can break down all the skillset stuff here but that's not necessary I think they were pretty close in that regard.

So again it's the intangibles. Larry was a leader without par. Magic probably made others around him better better than anyone else ever. Larry was clutch personified. Magic his twin in that regard. They were both winners and both had that killer instinct. So who's better?

I always argued Larry. Today looking back I'm not so sure. But considering that Magic may have had the better career(records, championships), maybe Magic. Maybe.

I'm just not so sure it was Larry anymore. But god it's a close call.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Lebron - Too physical.  Although Kobe has more skills. 

Magic over Bird - Sacrilege I know.  In fact Bird is tops on my list of favorite players but, I just can't get past the 6'9 PG mismatch every night.

Russell - The rings say it all.  Although I believe Wilt is most dominating player in history.

Havicheck - Although I didn't get to see Hondo he's Boston all time leading scorer and that is all I need to tell me he was better than Pippen who while a very good player just doesn't match up.

Oden - just because I would take his height but, he could be bust for all I know.

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10