Author Topic: What are we doing at SF?  (Read 10111 times)

What are we doing at SF?
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Looking at our current roster, we are very thin at Small Forward. Essentially, the only legit 3 we have backing up Pierce is Walker who is not even signed. I can not imagine that the Celtics think that will cut it over 82 games. I also can not believe that Darius Miles is the answer there either. Finally, barring a trade, there is not much left out there amoungst FA's at the 3 spot. Methinks this could be a chink in the armour for the Celtics.

Re: What are we doing at SF?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Looking at our current roster, we are very thin at Small Forward. Essentially, the only legit 3 we have backing up Pierce is Walker who is not even signed. I can not imagine that the Celtics think that will cut it over 82 games. I also can not believe that Darius Miles is the answer there either. Finally, barring a trade, there is not much left out there amoungst FA's at the 3 spot. Methinks this could be a chink in the armour for the Celtics.

don't forget about scal ! I'm serious. He will play this year, and he's a pretty good defender, decent rebounder, and does all the little things we need, and he can knock down the three, he will get back to his old shooting form. If not, we will grab someone by February

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

and a little bit of

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
If Scal is our back up for Paul, we are in serious trouble. All that "He does all the stuff that does not show up on the stat sheet" is Bull**** they had to say to justify his insane contract to the media and the fans. He is too slow to guard anyone on the perimeter unless they allow him to carry a shotgun on the court.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
So now, in addition to being touted as a backup at PG, Allen will also play SG and SF? He is 6' 3'' or 6'4''! That is short for a shooting guard. Any player over 6'7'' will abuse him in the post all day. Face it, we need a legit SF to back up Pierce. Not Captain Slow or Shorty Bad Knees.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Can't Ray allen Also play small forward?

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
He's a two guard who I guess could play a little three. It still leaves us thin there. I suported us not resigning Posey, but we need somebody who is a legit three. Maybe we could swing a trade for Diaw. He could slide from the three and the four pretty well.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 09:46:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I repeat 6'9 Walter Hermann is available and he has great shooting range and can defend the 3 and 4.  That being said outside of him there are no free agents left at SF and a trade would be necessary.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I repeat 6'9 Walter Hermann is available and he has great shooting range and can defend the 3 and 4.  That being said outside of him there are no free agents left at SF and a trade would be necessary.

we already have scal

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
He is horrible on defense and can not rebound a lick. He had a run of good games his rookie year. After that, zilch. No Thank You to Hermann

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I like Pierce at SF. He's pretty good.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 10:25:41 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I like Pierce at SF. He's pretty good.

Hey me too!  Considering Paul plays around 35-40 minutes a game I hope Scal could come in and play 10-12 minutes of decent basketball.  If not, like another poster said we'll get some one at the trade deadline that can fill that role.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 10:35:56 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i think walker and TA playing backup three is good, cuase house TA and pierce will cover for allen. i think theres a more gaping hole at backup pg. and i feel very good about our bigs. POB's gonna show us why he was a top 10 pick.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:31 PM »

Offline Bozo

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
They have yet to sign Walker.  You could bring in Miles and have Walker and Miles compete for the spot. 

Is BBD a possibility for the three.  That sounds crazy, but he's quick.  I was surprised to see how well he could stay in front of someone as they were driving hard to the basket.  Quick feet. 

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 11:04:44 PM »

Offline bring BIG AL back

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
If Scal is our back up for Paul, we are in serious trouble. All that "He does all the stuff that does not show up on the stat sheet" is Bull**** they had to say to justify his insane contract to the media and the fans. He is too slow to guard anyone on the perimeter unless they allow him to carry a shotgun on the court.

Spot on about Scal.  This is a real concern at back up SF.  Especially against big 3's.  Expecting Walker to produce much in his first year might be a bit much and he has yet to even be signed.  
Perhaps: Dorell Wright (restricted FA),  Bonzi Wells (unrestricted?)