Author Topic: How far would C's have gone if they didn't make the KG trade?  (Read 8873 times)

Re: How far would C's have gone if they didn't make the KG trade?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 02:27:39 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
A starting line of Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Jefferson, and Gasol would of been better than the Celtics that won the title. Jeffeson and Gasol down low could of been the most lethal post duo in the history of the game. Then you add the greatest 3 point shooter of all time in Ray Allen and the games would of been a joke. Everyone knows what Pierce and Rondo bring to the table.

We would of had a bench of Tony, Gomes, Perk, and other signings. If we had brought in Gasol, Posey and House still probably sign here. 

A bench of House, Tony, Posey, Gomes, and Perk is ridiculous. 

This team would have been a little weaker defensively. However, this team still would have been infinitely better. I love the team that won the title. But Ideally, this is the team we should have wanted. This team would be able to contend for much longer.

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 04:12:50 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
Lots of 'what ifs' on this thread. No gauruntee that they get Gasol. Fact is nobody knows. Celtics won a championship. That is enough for me.

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I keep wondering about this. Just for fun, I loved the trade and obviously what happened. But if the C's had gone into the season with the starting 5 as:

Rondo
Allen
Perkins
Jefferson
Pierce

How would they have done? Maybe they don't get House or Posey because it seems those guys wanted to come because of KG. I think they would have made the playoffs and maybe won a round.

What say you?

This is probably the easiest question that has been asked in here.  Without KG the championship banner #17 would never have been a reality.  KG brought in something special that I dare say no other NBA player can bring in; team unity.  He is not only the stats he produces day in, day out but he´s also in my mind, the biggest Teamwork player ever to play this sport.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 07:27:49 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
A starting line of Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Jefferson, and Gasol would of been better than the Celtics that won the title. Jeffeson and Gasol down low could of been the most lethal post duo in the history of the game. Then you add the greatest 3 point shooter of all time in Ray Allen and the games would of been a joke. Everyone knows what Pierce and Rondo bring to the table.

We would of had a bench of Tony, Gomes, Perk, and other signings. If we had brought in Gasol, Posey and House still probably sign here. 

A bench of House, Tony, Posey, Gomes, and Perk is ridiculous. 

This team would have been a little weaker defensively. However, this team still would have been infinitely better. I love the team that won the title. But Ideally, this is the team we should have wanted. This team would be able to contend for much longer.

gotta respectfully (yet strongly) disagree with this post

1. An Al Jefferson, Pau Gasol frontcourt is very good on offense and very, very bad on defense.

2. Overall, that lineup is poor on defense and wouldn't have the anchor in KG.  Like someone said, we'd be a Wizards level team, good enough to make the playoffs and make a little noise, but that's it

3. Without KG, Posey doesn't sign here, he'd have gone to another contender like San Antonio or Dallas or whatever

4. All of this is revisionist history, but don't forget that Pierce was ready to walk before the KG trade (and probably still after the Ray Allen trade).  Gasol wasn't available till mid season, so I don't think Paul would have sat aside and let things play out.

5. Furthermore, the next biggest suitor for KG, ...the Lakers.  Nuff said.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:38:09 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Maybe the playoffs because of Jefferson's improvement. Maybe not that far. We did what we did because of our defense. Without KG there'd be no defense, even with Tom Thibideau.

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »

Offline GreenPride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
I'm gonna say they would finish somewhere around 45-37 and in the middle of the race.  Probably around 5th or 6th seed.

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i say we would've won the atlantic again, like the ricky/antoine/pierce days.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I would have loved to see how Al would have improved defensively under a year of Thibodeau's tuteledge.

I'd say second round and they would have easily won the division.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i say it'd be tough for us to even make the playoffs. 

No KG means no House/Posey/PJ Brown or Cassell...

It also means no defense...

and it means we lose every game where Paul and Ray were slumping.

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I agree along the general theory of the more recent posters who make the point that without kg, danny makes moves anyway. Realistically, we get someone else as a key piece, say some vet about as good as posey, and probably still pick up a decent bench player as good as house. No pj; we probably lose gerald, telfair, and gomes in a trade; we lose picks. Key players: Al, PP, Ray, Rondo, Perk, "house", tony allen, "posey."

I am going to argue that with youth being exchanged for a couple key vet bench players and ray being added and with Tom T coaching, we win 50-55 games and get through to the second round. Al's level of defense, and no actual Posey cost us. We beat philly but lose to probably Cleve as they dominate us in the paint.

and yeah gasol or kg wins a title somewhere else

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

If Thibodeau wasn't part of the coaching staff it would mean no defense.
Thibodeau has never been on a team where defense wasn't a strength.  It would have been interesting how the traded young players, who regressed from bad to worse defensively under Rivers, would have improved under Thibodeau's tuteledge.  If Thibodeau would have been part of the coaching staff, the C's without Garnett would have been an above-.500 team.

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Without KG we wouldn't have been a top defensive team, but we still would have been a better than average defensive team.

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think no KG there wouldn't have been Ray Allen to start since that was the reason Garnett changed his mind.  Paul would have more than likely been traded.  Our #1 player would have been Al Jefferson, great low post scorer, good rebounder, fair at best defender.  Next best player would have been Rondo and he would have had to do lots more.  We don't make playoffs with that team.
Say Ray & Paul are here, make the playoffs, out 1st round.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 06:17:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Without KG we wouldn't have been a top defensive team, but we still would have been a better than average defensive team.

Why would we be better than average on defense? Posey would be in NJ, no KG and no Brown!

Perk, TA, and Rondo could have made big defensive contributions, but PP would still be focusing on preserving energy for offense since defensive efforts would often be wasted due to the horrible rotations we saw when Al was still in town. The horrible rotations would also keep Rondo from being as successful as he was gambling on steals.

I believe we would have had a +.500 record, but the team would be dangerous enough to win a series.

Thing is, the Ray Allen trade made the KG trade almost automatic since KG was the only one really holding up the trade.

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Why would we be better than average on defense? Posey would be in NJ, no KG and no Brown!

Perk, TA, and Rondo could have made big defensive contributions, but PP would still be focusing on preserving energy for offense since defensive efforts would often be wasted due to the horrible rotations we saw when Al was still in town. The horrible rotations would also keep Rondo from being as successful as he was gambling on steals.

In 2006-2007 we were 16th in defense, and that was with Perk hobbled and West, Gomes and Gerald Green playing big minutes. This year Perk was healthy and we got a lot more minutes from Paul, Perk and Rajon. Jefferson and Perkins has always been a good defensive combo.