Author Topic: How far would C's have gone if they didn't make the KG trade?  (Read 8912 times)

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I keep wondering about this. Just for fun, I loved the trade and obviously what happened. But if the C's had gone into the season with the starting 5 as:

Rondo
Allen
Perkins
Jefferson
Pierce

How would they have done? Maybe they don't get House or Posey because it seems those guys wanted to come because of KG. I think they would have made the playoffs and maybe won a round.

What say you?
Now, on to 18...

Re: How far would C's have gone if they didn't make the KG trade?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:28:55 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
That team reminds me of the Wizards, in terms of overall quality of a team, pretty good, but never gonna be a real contender.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:30:03 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i guess we'll never know... :-\
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The answer to this question is as clouded as the answer to that age old question asked by generations:

"How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?"

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I keep wondering about this. Just for fun, I loved the trade and obviously what happened. But if the C's had gone into the season with the starting 5 as:

Rondo
Allen
Perkins
Jefferson
Pierce

How would they have done? Maybe they don't get House or Posey because it seems those guys wanted to come because of KG. I think they would have made the playoffs and maybe won a round.

What say you?
Bench would have been: Telfair, Green, Gomes, Powe, Veal, Pruitt, BBD, Ratliff.  maybe Pollard.   Respectable starting 5.  Bench would have gotten killed.  Would have been fighting Atlanta for the last playoff spot.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:57:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Rondo
Allen
Perkins
Jefferson
Pierce

What say you?
Bench would have been: Telfair, Green, Gomes, Powe, Veal, Pruitt, BBD, Ratliff.  maybe Pollard.   Respectable starting 5.  Bench would have gotten killed.  Would have been fighting Atlanta for the last playoff spot.
Jokes aside slamtheking hit it right on the nose with his assessment.

Horrible bench, maybe 8th in the East playing last year's Pistons team. Ugh!

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i can't even begin to imagine green playing defense in the playoffs... against a hamilton or joe johnson.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Rondo
Allen
Perkins
Jefferson
Pierce

What say you?

You're forgetting Tony Allen. Telfair, Allen, Gomes, Powe and Theo is bad, but clearly better than Telfair, Green, Gomes, Powe and Theo.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If they had of gotten rid of the youth and replaced them with veteran bench players they would have been a contender and won somewhere around 55 games. They would have stood an excellent chance of getting out of the East because the East was weak.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
here's how i look at it. in 06-07, IF we'd been relatively healthy all year - especially pierce - we would have made the playoffs. a combo of pierce and jefferson would have been tough to stop offensively. certainly to the extent that they could have won 40 games.

now, add in ray allen, plus an additional year of experience for the other guys, and i really think you're looking at an eastern conference finals team. in no way do i think jefferson is as good as garnett, but as a pure low post scorer, jefferson is definitely better. he pretty much commands a double team, which is tough on the other team because of pierce and killer ray. so, we might have been a little better offensively than we were with garnett. we wouldnt have nearly as much experience off the bench, but we would have had more athleticism. in some games, that could have been key.

that being said, we wouldnt have been nearly as good defensively, which is why i dont think we could have gotten over the hump in the playoffs. i say about 50-52 wins and a loss in 6 to detroit in the ECF.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
If they had of gotten rid of the youth and replaced them with veteran bench players they would have been a contender and won somewhere around 55 games. They would have stood an excellent chance of getting out of the East because the East was weak.

The east was weak, but the west was weaker. If we'd have gotten out of the east we'd have won out.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:21:48 PM »

Offline dustroia

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • Dennis Rodman for HOF

The east was weak, but the west was weaker. If we'd have gotten out of the east we'd have won out.

i dont understand. how was the west weaker than the east last year?

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 11:58:13 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Rondo
Allen
Perkins
Jefferson
Pierce

What say you?

maybe if that was the bench, but i think they were determined to move Theo's contract to a team looking to unload payroll.....i always thought they would have targeted Camby if they hadn't made the KG deal.

then you are looking at starters:

Rondo
Ray
Paul
Big Al
Camby

a bench of:

Telfair
TA
Gomes
Powe
Perk

that's a top 4 team in the EC IMO no problem...

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Rondo
Allen
Perkins
Jefferson
Pierce

What say you?

Nah. Atlanta wasn't even close to a .500 record. We still would have had a winning record.

Of course, Telfair would have been gone. The took his name off of his locker well before the trade. Who knows who we would have had instead.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 12:52:48 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Rondo
Allen
Perkins
Jefferson
Pierce

What say you?

maybe if that was the bench, but i think they were determined to move Theo's contract to a team looking to unload payroll.....i always thought they would have targeted Camby if they hadn't made the KG deal.

then you are looking at starters:

Rondo
Ray
Paul
Big Al
Camby

a bench of:

Telfair
TA
Gomes
Powe
Perk

that's a top 4 team in the EC IMO no problem...

Realistically, we probably would have gotten Gasol. Swap him for Camby in your lineup and you're looking pretty good.