Author Topic: What a year it was: 1 year anniversary of aquiring KG  (Read 6375 times)

Re: What a year it was: 1 year anniversary of aquiring KG
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
today is my birthday, Getting Garnett was the best birthday present ever!

Happy Birthday! Heres a present (TP)

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I just got back late the night before from vacation, and like a lot of us had given up on getting KG, and was ready to go into the season with Ray, Paul and Al. In a groggy state I turned on WEEI in the morning as a I brushed my teeth, getting ready to go to work, and lo and behold Dennis and Callahan were taking about acquiring KG as if it was a done deal. At that point, knowing that Dennis and Callahan's insight and sports knowledge is just above zero, I rushed to work and hit the blogs, it was a very strange time, and I was out of my mind with joy.

What a strange season this was, it honestly would have been strange if the Celtics hadn't won it all, all our expectations were so high, they were such a great team, and they won so many statement games, totally had the team of Destiny thing going.

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I just got back late the night before from vacation, and like a lot of us had given up on getting KG, and was ready to go into the season with Ray, Paul and Al. In a groggy state I turned on WEEI in the morning as a I brushed my teeth, getting ready to go to work, and lo and behold Dennis and Callahan were taking about acquiring KG as if it was a done deal. At that point, knowing that Dennis and Callahan's insight and sports knowledge is just above zero, I rushed to work and hit the blogs, it was a very strange time, and I was out of my mind with joy.

What a strange season this was, it honestly would have been strange if the Celtics hadn't won it all, all our expectations were so high, they were such a great team, and they won so many statement games, totally had the team of Destiny thing going.

I agree totally a team of destiny as the season player out. I will say though, at first I thought next year was the year not this year.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 04:58:33 PM »

Offline NUMBA 17

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
aaaaaahhh...remember it well...a day any Celtics fan will NEVER forget...I had heard rumors over the few days before the trade, but didnt get too excited til the morning of 7/31/07, when it was all over the internet..... that day at work was probably my most unproductive, because all I did was go from sports site to sports site, and if not doing that me and my buddies were emailing each other about it...

Then it was a done deal.....and all I remember the rest of the day was SMILING, feeling happy and feeling Celtic Pride reborn......and I watched that press conference over and over and over........I still have the Herald from the next day with the Trio on the front page.....great great day...
"Dont give up...dont ever give up..."   J. Valvano

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I remember Danny telling the Media people at the press conference to not call them the "Big Three" because they hadn't done anything yet. What I especially remember was the constant smile on Paul Pierce's face as if it was Christmas morning and he got the gift he'd been dreaming of. Also the story KG told about driving 200 mph in a Lamborghini with his head out the window. Ray was kind of quiet and just looking amused as KG went on and on. Those pictures kind of told the personalities of each guy and it held true throughout the season. A great deal in Celtic history.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 05:25:13 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
My parents wanted to take me out to dinner right in the middle of the transactions. I wanted to stay home and tune into Celts blog and ESPN but i went. Ill never forget it. The Weathervane, and as soon as i got home i rushed straight to the computer and sure enough he was in Green. What a day, cant believe that was a whole year already.

Re: 1 year anniversary of KG
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 05:36:55 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Imagine how SICK we'd be if we still had Big Al to go along w/the Big 3?!?!  No offense to Perk...
I was thinking the same thing at the time.  I didn't want to give up Al but in retrospect I guess it worked out.

Remember that brief time, maybe a half hour, when Shira Springer said Al Jefferson was not part of the trade?  I was giddy and thought it was an automatic championship if McHale was dumb enough to do that.  He probably would have been beheaded if he didn't get Al in that trade.

On the other side of things, Big Al will always be a Celtic to me.  He almost deserves a ring if you think about it.  We never would have been able to get KG if not for Al's hard work to become a player worthy of trading for KG.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
What a difference a year makes!
Now, on to 18...

Re: 1 year anniversary of KG
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 11:38:41 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Imagine how SICK we'd be if we still had Big Al to go along w/the Big 3?!?!  No offense to Perk...
I was thinking the same thing at the time.  I didn't want to give up Al but in retrospect I guess it worked out.

Remember that brief time, maybe a half hour, when Shira Springer said Al Jefferson was not part of the trade?  I was giddy and thought it was an automatic championship if McHale was dumb enough to do that.  He probably would have been beheaded if he didn't get Al in that trade.

On the other side of things, Big Al will always be a Celtic to me.  He almost deserves a ring if you think about it.  We never would have been able to get KG if not for Al's hard work to become a player worthy of trading for KG.

I remember that but dismissed it instantly. I remember thinking "I think we've seen the last days of Shira" haha

Is it kind of strange that on the year anniversary of obtaining KG we lose Manny?