Author Topic: What a year it was: 1 year anniversary of aquiring KG  (Read 6367 times)

What a year it was: 1 year anniversary of aquiring KG
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:57:59 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Where were you and what were you doing a year ago today?

Me? I was in my cubicle refreshing ESPN and Celticsblog (under fmbl244 at the time) thinking "please god let this happen"

When it was confirmed I almost cried. I re-watched that press conference on youtube at least 20 times that week still pinching myself.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:57:53 PM by Jsaad »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: 1 year anniversary of KG
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I was on a cruise ship when one of my buddys called and told me the Celtics got KG. I didn't believe him cause he's always making things up, but I left everyone and ran to the internet cafe. When I saw it here on the blog, I couldn't believe it. From that day I was thinking championship.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »

Offline CLeht11

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
I was at home basically doing what you were doing.  I just couldn't believe we were about to get him, I was shocked, excited, and surprised.
Who said the East was the JV conference? See you next year, Mr. Bryant!

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:06:44 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i remember this day last year. i was on celticsblog excited as hell. kg was one of the first basketball players i ever knew of (other 2 were mj and shaq).

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »

Offline GreenPride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
I'll be honest with everybody here...when i heard we got K.G. i was not very excited.  I thought...okay, here we go...the Celtic curse continues...we give up our best young player Jefferson, Gomes, Green...basically our whole team for one player.  I really wasn't optimistic at all that we'd do that well.  I figured we would get into the playoffs...as it's not that hard in the NBA to do..but i thought 45-50 victories TOPS. 

Well, here we are today and i couldn't be happier. 

Sorry...just being honest.  With all the bad luck we've had over the years i just thought this would continue.  Yes, i'm a pessamist.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I'll be honest with everybody here...when i heard we got K.G. i was not very excited.  I thought...okay, here we go...the Celtic curse continues...we give up our best young player Jefferson, Gomes, Green...basically our whole team for one player.  I really wasn't optimistic at all that we'd do that well.  I figured we would get into the playoffs...as it's not that hard in the NBA to do..but i thought 45-50 victories TOPS. 

Sorry...just being honest.  With all the bad luck we've had over the years i just thought this would continue.  Yes, i'm a pessamist.

i felt exactly the same. i didn't want to get overly excited and be let down. but i knew deep down... these were 3 true, well established allstars. and i also came to the conclusion, you gotta give up something to get something.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »

Offline GreenPride

• The Green Kornet

i felt exactly the same. i didn't want to get overly excited and be let down. but i knew deep down... these were 3 true, well established allstars. and i also came to the conclusion, you gotta give up something to get something.

Yep.  Also, i thought anything other than a trip to the NBA finals would be a failure...and i didn't see that happening.  Danny would have definately been in the doghouse if this didn't happen.  Thank god it did!  I just hope they play with the same intensity next year as they did this year.  I hope they don't settle for just having a championship.  I feel that we have a good 2 to 3 years left to get as many championships as possible.  The time is now!

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

Offline Bring Back Antoine

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I was at a bar in Mexico and I saw a flash of celtic green on the tv. Me and my 2 friends went nuts.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

I don't think you were alone in this.... didn't like 75% of the CB community respond "No" to a poll asking if you wanted to trade for KG if it included Al?

Personally, I was in my cube constantly refreshing every sports site I could find and finally watching the live press conference from nba.com.  I actually think that was also the first time I found CelticsBlog!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »

Offline GreenPride

• The Green Kornet
Imagine how SICK we'd be if we still had Big Al to go along w/the Big 3?!?!  No offense to Perk...

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:47:35 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

I don't think you were alone in this.... didn't like 75% of the CB community respond "No" to a poll asking if you wanted to trade for KG if it included Al?

Personally, I was in my cube constantly refreshing every sports site I could find and finally watching the live press conference from nba.com.  I actually think that was also the first time I found CelticsBlog!

Haha I was doing the same thing, I didn't make 1 [dang] sale that week.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Imagine how SICK we'd be if we still had Big Al to go along w/the Big 3?!?!  No offense to Perk...

in retrospect I change nothing. we have a championship which is priceless.

I would trade this whole team and have no players on the roster for 2010 for another one.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »

Offline GreenPride

• The Green Kornet

in retrospect I change nothing. we have a championship which is priceless.

I would trade this whole team and have no players on the roster for 2010 for another one.

A Tommy point for you, sir!

Re: What a year it was: 1 year anniversary of aquiring KG
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Thank you

*I modified the subject line to make it sexier.

Re: What a year it was: 1 year anniversary of aquiring KG
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
today is my birthday, Getting Garnett was the best birthday present ever!