Author Topic: Ron Artest continues to be an embarassment  (Read 13791 times)

Re: Ron Artest continues to be an embarassment
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I do believe Ron when he says he hasn't and won't change...

A run through Wikipedia (I know, I know) reveals some very odd behavior - a few highlights:

During his rookie season with the Chicago Bulls, he was subject to criticism for applying for a job at Circuit City, just to get an employee discount.[10][11]

He once attended an Indiana Pacers practice in a bath robe.[12]

He was suspended for two games in the early 2004-05 season by Pacers coach Rick Carlisle after he allegedly asked for a month off because he was tired from promoting an R&B album for the group Allure on his production label.[10]

I personally like the employee discount story the best, that is just hilarious, something I could see Manny Ramirez doing.
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Artest has said some and done some stupid things, but I think he is unfairly vilified for the Detroit thing.

Compared to the free pass O'Neal got from the same event and the pathetically hands-off officiating he got the rest of the season after he found a sympathetic judge to overturn his suspension, Artest was grossly unfairly villified.  O'Neal's act, long after he had time to think about his actions,  (as in the length of the court after most of the situation had defused)  should have landed him in prison.

The problem with Artest goes beyond this event.  He just can't seem to stop saying stupid things that alienate whoever he needs to work with.  I don't know how anybody could ever trust him as a teammate.  That's why I have no idea why anybody would look at this supremely talented idiot as the last building block to a title.  This is rolling the dice for an impossible combination by Houston management.  

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »

Offline threzd

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
There's no doubt Artest has said some pretty stupid things, and done some things he shouldn't do. But there is a difference once he steps onto the basketball court and plays basketball. He's a hard worker and he'll do his best to win the game - I don't see him walking down the court or going to give a fan a high five during play, like Manny does. I really don't think any of us should expect anything other than positive influence from Artest when the Rockets play basketball.

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There's no doubt Artest has said some pretty stupid things, and done some things he shouldn't do. But there is a difference once he steps onto the basketball court and plays basketball. He's a hard worker and he'll do his best to win the game - I don't see him walking down the court or going to give a fan a high five during play, like Manny does. I really don't think any of us should expect anything other than positive influence from Artest when the Rockets play basketball.

I'm pretty sure there were claims that Artest was dogging it with his injury last season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Funny stuff, cdif911.

Ron Ron has always struck me as a guy who craves attention.  Be it positive or negative.  Heck, sometimes I think he focuses only on the negative.

Some people just cant' help themselves but to act stupid and get in trouble.  I think Mr. Artest is one of those people.  Sadly, his raw basketball skill should make him a legitimate superstar, and based on talent only, every team in the league would want him.  But the guy just can't make sense of himself.

Now me, I'm the exact opposite.  I might shoot 50% from the free throw line on a good day.  And I occasionally bounce dribbles off my foot.  And, to be honest, I probably can't dunk though I've never tried... being 5 foot 7.  But I can say, in all honesty, for a rookie minimum I will never miss a day of practice and will never show up to work in a bathrobe.

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2008, 03:11:11 PM »

Offline threzd

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12

I'm pretty sure there were claims that Artest was dogging it with his injury last season.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember those claims. However, all the same I really don't expect Artest to give less than 100% effort this year with the Rockets - it's a contract year, he's playing for Adelman, a coach he likes, and he wants to put his reputation behind him.