Author Topic: something interesting i just read in regards to future draft pick...  (Read 2429 times)

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
http://www.canishoopus.com/pages/draft-info

i didn't realize in the KG trade that we moved a pick that is top 3 protected in 2009, top 2 protected in 2010 and 2011, and unprotected in 2012...i wonder how much of this deal really hinged on that pick being unprotected by the time that the big three have declined and we are back in rebuild mode. great move by mchale getting the pick to be unprotected by that point...i can really picture Big Al and his supporting cast being developed enough by that point to be making some noise in the playoffs, but if we hypothetically have a bad year and land a top 3 lottery pick or something, then the wolves have the opportunity to put a future star next to Big Al and whoever else is with him by that point, and we're left hanging out to dry.

granted, it was a good trade for us as well, just happened that ours worked out a bit quicker than theirs has so far  ;D

Re: something interesting i just read in regards to future draft pick...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

Offline scottdalot32

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
Well they are obviously going to be getting the pick next season because there is no chance we get a top three pick so making it unprotected in 2012 doesn't even matter, it just makes it look better on paper.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:53:19 AM »

Offline I am... a brain doctor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • ...For me to poop on!!!
I don't think there is any way that our 2009 pick would be in the top three. It will be their pick next year.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:53:27 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I think it has to be prett much irrelevant.  In order to to get to 2012, we would have to get a top 3 pick in 2009, and the top 2 pick in 2010, as well as the top 2 pick in 2011.  I don't know how a 66 win team is going to be picking top 3 or top 2 in the lottery in the next 3 years.

Minny will get our pick in 2009 and the whole thing will be done with before it even becomes an issue.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:54:59 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, but the only way it's unprotected in 2012 is if we finish with a top-3 pick in 2009, and then a top-2 pick in both 2010 and 2011.  The odds of that happening are infinitesimally small.

Heck, if we *do* end up with top-three picks in all of 2009, 2010, and 2011, this team should be sitting pretty in 2012, regardless of whether we have to surrender our #1 that year or not.

(There's no indication that Minnesota has the option of "rolling over" this pick or exercising it at its option.  It's very rare that teams trade draft rights like that.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56:01 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
no way our pick will be top 3, but is it automatic if it isn't or do they simply have the option to pick it up?

if they have an option, they might be wise to wait a few years

right now our picks will be glorified 2nd rounders with guaranteed salary slots
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »

Offline scottdalot32

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
I just remembered, didn't we give them their #1 pick back that we received in the Wally deal.  That may be the case, increasing their chances of not getting the pick in 2009, but I still believe the Wolves have definitely improved as a team so they might not even finish in the bottom three but you never know with the lottery.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
no way our pick will be top 3, but is it automatic if it isn't or do they simply have the option to pick it up?

i'm not sure, but this is what i was thinking. obviously we wont be top 3 next year, or top 2 in '10 or '11 either haha. i was thinking that perhaps they had the option to wait till 2012...

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:24:32 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I just remembered, didn't we give them their #1 pick back that we received in the Wally deal.  That may be the case, increasing their chances of not getting the pick in 2009, but I still believe the Wolves have definitely improved as a team so they might not even finish in the bottom three but you never know with the lottery.

The pick from the Wally trade that we gave back in the KG trade never would've been ours in the first place.  It was essentially a 2012 2nd rounder that we gave back, because the Wolves still owe a 1st rounder to the Clippers, and we couldn't get our pick until 2 years after the Clippers receive their's, which still has yet to happen.

People that want to disregard how good Al Jefferson is like to say that McHale gave KG away because he's a former Celtic.  But people that like to inflate the trade in Minnesota's favor always make it seem like they got two 1st rounders in return, when in actuality they essentially got one 1st rounder most likely in the 25-30 range, and a 2012 second rounder.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:18:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Such an option hasn't been reported anywhere, and it would be extremely rare to give one.  The only time in recent memory where there was one was when we had the Nuggets #1, and the option of exercising it in any of three seasons.  We decided to exercise it the first year and take Kedrick Brown.  If we'd waited two more seasons, we potentially could have had Carmelo, I believe.  Oops.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions