Author Topic: Erden  (Read 12059 times)

Re: Erden
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 04:36:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm pretty sure Danny could have found a better player than Erden if he had a place for him in the roster (and an additional salary). But not significantly better anyway, and hardly a better 7-footer (who? Longar Longar?).

But yeah, I reckon zerophase has a point, if we disregard where he was drafted (which, of course, doesn't make much sense). This guy has been a disappointment for the last 2 years. Honestly, I can't even see him becoming a poor man's Gasol, whatever that may be. Let's hope he shows some improvement on the court, and especially more focus on his basketball career, next season.

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 04:55:03 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
He looks like his maximum potential is a poor man's gasol. looks like a bad pick to me.

a poor man's marc gasol is a bad pick at 60?

come on zero, your better than that. the kid is the freakign last pick in the draft. if he turns out to be 1/5th of gasol, he's a great find.

danny can't find leon powe's with every pick, sorry he didn't get you shaq with pick 60. honestly people.

wait which gasol are we talking about here, because isn't Marc Gasol a poor man's Pau Gasol? =)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 04:56:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm pretty sure Danny could have found a better player than Erden if he had a place for him in the roster (and an additional salary). But not significantly better anyway, and hardly a better 7-footer (who? Longar Longar?).

He'd have to be better than Giddens or Walker to make the roster. If there were someone better available you'd have to think he'd have drafted them.

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I just saw Lebron do what Perk and KG and Posey did (not let the opposing team take a shot after the whistle). LBJ didn't let it get to the rim when Erden shot a three up after Turkey called time-out.

50 or so secs left in the 2nd quarter. Haha, I've never seen non-Celtics do this much. 

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 09:59:23 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
He looks like his maximum potential is a poor man's gasol. looks like a bad pick to me.

How can the 60th overall selection be a "bad pick?"

i don't know. i'm not sure. i expected more from draft god danny.

no chance you could be setting your standards a tad high?
not at all. theres a reason why danny doesn't often draft oversea prospects. he only did this this year because of monetary issues.

Money? How is money relevant? The problem is roster spots.

What would be the point of drafting someone who would just be cut this year and become a free agent? There isn't really any other option other than draft a guy whose rights they can keep without losing a roster spot over the next few years.

We barely have enough roster spots for Giddens and Walker.

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
We barely have enough roster spots for Giddens and Walker.

And they have yet to make the team or sign a contract. Danny doesnt seem to be in a big hurry with signing rookies this year does he? Erden will be monitored for a year or two and if he shows sufficient promise we will sign him. The monetary angle will then come into play because foreign players who are worth having are usually tied up contractually by European teams. Double edged sword kind of a deal if we dont have roster spot with cap space to let an upside prospect develop. (like we did with Gerald Green for instance). 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 10:13:35 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I was impressed with how well Erden moved out there and his ball handling was good for a 7 footer as well.  He moves and has the dribbling ablitiy of a young Dirk imo, but nowhere near the shooting touch Dirk has.  If he turns out to be a decent backup big I'd be all for it.  What do you expect from a 60th pick?  

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I agree with the last post. I think this kid has alot of potential.

1. He runs the floor well
2. He can pass fairly well
3. He's fairly long and doesn't seem to have trouble getting his shot off in the lane
4. His length affect people coming to the hoop
5. He attackes the hoop on offense

he has a long way to go but I can easily see him being a solid rotation guy for us down the road, perhaps as early as next season.

Also, you never know what impact an environment packed with Garnett, Perkins, Powe and Big baby ( four Pit Bulls ) on a day to day basis, as well as Clifford Ray might do for this kid.

he has the tools, for sure. Not many seven footers can move like he does and he's not afraid of contact. Those two things are half the battle.

I think this kid could easily become an Anderson Varejo type player.   

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
After seeing his potential talent while playing for the Turkish team against the USA I like this guy as a prospect. Based on what Danny said about him being under contract in Europe for another year, I think picking him and leaving him overseas was a great idea. It's like we can bring him to camp next year and let Clifford Ray go to work on him. If he needs a year in the D league (like the Russian kid Fesenko with the Jazz for example) that's fine too.

Now I understand the comments about him being like next year #1 pick. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 04:24:57 PM »

Offline no kidding

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Sure, the kid may never be anything.  But in the fourth quarter he successfully ran two pick and rolls, catching the ball on the move. He dunked it the first time, and earned a trip to the foul line on the second. I don't recall Perkins ever doing anything offensively that was quite that fluid, and I've never seen Glen Davis elevate high enough off the dribble to dunk it the way Erden did.

That's not to say Erden will ever as good or better than Perkins and Davis.  But it was an indication he has some talent that the Celtics might be able to develop.

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »

Offline Celtsfan33/34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
If you never saw Davis elevate and dunk then you couldn't have watched enough games.  Davis did it in the Finals didn't he??

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »

Offline no kidding

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Now don't get snarky.  I clearly wrote, "I've never seen Glen Davis elevate high enough off the dribble to dunk it the way Erden did." I didn't say Davis can't dunk. I was commenting on his relative inability to elevate.  (Or haven't you notice that aspect of his game?)

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

a poor man's marc gasol is a bad pick at 60?

come on zero, your better than that. the kid is the freakign last pick in the draft. if he turns out to be 1/5th of gasol, he's a great find.

danny can't find leon powe's with every pick, sorry he didn't get you shaq with pick 60. honestly people.

wait which gasol are we talking about here, because isn't Marc Gasol a poor man's Pau Gasol? =)

Pau Gasol is a poor man's Pau Gasol. It costed the Lakers nothing to get him. he started bargain bin.

Pau Gasol shall forever be known as....."Dr. Thunder". If you get that you're also poor like me.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2008, 09:19:17 PM »

Offline tapper

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
Erden is young, needs better coaching and time will tell.