Author Topic: Is Ben Gordon overrating himself much?  (Read 5552 times)

Is Ben Gordon overrating himself much?
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Bulls remain far apart in negotiations with guard Ben Gordon, also a restricted free agent. Gordon's agent, Raymond Brothers, has told the Bulls that Gordon should be the highest-paid player on the team because he has led the team in scoring each of the last three seasons.

The Bulls aren't expected to guarantee up to $80 million over a maximum six years for Gordon, so if negotiations continue to stall, the sides might pursue a sign-and-trade deal. Gordon would have to approve such a move. Gordon also has strongly considered signing the team's qualifying offer of $6.4 million for next season, after which he would be an unrestricted free agent

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/1081178,CST-SPT-bull30.article

In my view, Gordon is an undersized SG who scores a lot but creates lots of matchups problems for the team he's playing for and can't do much more than scoring from jump-shots. But he's really good at it, though not good enough to lead a team to the glory.

Steve Weinman wrote a better thought and more comprehensive assessment on Gordon a few weeks ago in The Daily Babble. Worth reading:

To his credit, Gordon is an able scorer and an excellent three-point shooter -- he has never shot below 40 percent from beyond the arc.  But virtually everything else about his game seems to be to his discredit.  He is undersized as a 6-foot-3 off-guard, and as a result he contributes very little on the glass and has a lot of trouble defensively.  Gordon is a poor defender and not a great passer, and he doesn't necessarily handle the ball all that well, particularly for someone who entered the league with the combo guard label attached.  Further, for as good a three-point shooter as he is, his true shooting was only 55.8 percent this past season (and 54.8 for his career), which ranked him 22nd among qualified shooting guards.  Gordon only gets to the line four times per game, which ranked him in the middle of the pack (14th) among two-guards last season as well.

Undoubtedly, the former UConn guard's scoring has been important to a Chicago team that has been largely strapped in that department in recent years.  But since he is a restricted free agent, the Bulls are likely going to need to give Gordon a hefty long-term deal in order to keep him around, and given the flaws in his game and the fact that he is a capable scorer rather than a great one, it may be wiser for the Bulls to move Gordon while they can get something for him and then search for a replacement scorer later on.

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3562&Itemid=260
(read also who's comments on why we haven't seen Chicago making many trades lately)

So, do you think that Ben Gordon is worth $13 million/year? Is he even worth the same contract Luol Deng got? Can he get that kind of money via a S&T? From whom?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:14:51 PM by cordobes »

Re: Is Ben Gordon overrating himself much?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:16:45 PM »

Offline I am... a brain doctor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • ...For me to poop on!!!
I don't see how he could get that kind of money, and I would be embarrassed for any GM who gave it to him.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:29:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
No, No, and No

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Gordon is worse than over-rating himself - he is 150% replaceable. The Bulls already have Larry Hughes locked into a stupid contract. And now they also have a redundant Hinrich, who is also locked in for a bunch of money.

Deng and Nocioni are ready to take over the scoring burden. I'm sure.

The fact is, probably every single NBA player under 7' lead his team in scoring (and maybe a bunch of other statistical categories).  Scoring is impressive, but it's not THAT impressive.  When Kidd dumped the ball off to Scalabrine in an ECF game, Scalabrine scored 14 points. Think about that (now think about it $20M times).

Short scoring guards don't really last unless:

a). they go to the rim every time (like Iverson)
b). they play with a MASSIVE front line (like Jeff Horanceck).

Gordon doesn't do either of these things.

I think that $50M offer is the best money he'll ever see unless he goes to Europe.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If Gordon does not watch out, he will end up like Bonzi Wells and never receive the money he thinks he is worth.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Gordon will never get a big pay day, he is very undersized, and is a liability on defense, not someone worth throwing a lot of money at.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is overrating himself.  He gets overhyped. 

He is just another combo guard.  He just happens to score more.

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:43:46 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
somebody had to score those points for chicago the last few years. I think it's ridiculous that his agent said he should be the highest payed player cause he led the team in scoring. If I was Paxson, I say something to the affect of, "No the player who leads this team in EFF, or +/- or ANYTHING, other then scoring deserves to get payed the most" ...

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I like BG, but I do think he is overrating himself.  He should have taken the $50 million last year.

Although money and overrating oneself is probably the biggest factor, it should also be noted that maybe he just doesn't like the direction the franchise is going or their use of him.  By not signing a long term contract he can get into a better situation with a similar payday soon.  (Although for $10 million a year, I could tough it out not starting, but maybe that's just me)

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
BG is great, but not the greatest, and he's not worth more than 10 a year, if that. Leading a team in scoring means nothing when you're on a sorry team. It would be different if the Bulls could make noise in the playoffs, but they can't, kinda like little mute chihuahuas. His style of play would be better for him in D'Antoni's system, or even with a better PG like Nash. So maybe a Barbosa and Gordon swap? Add in a couple pieces and make it work...
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 09:25:55 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
There are a lot of guys overrating themselves and they're getting over paid. Some GM will probably role over. Unfortunately for Gordon the Knicks management has been over hauled, but Mark Cuban is still out there.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:43:22 AM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
If you are making 10M or more a year, you should be able to guard some of the very top players in the league. Which top players in the league can Gordon guard?

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 11:04:44 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Gordon is a little tiny guy who can shoot when WIDE OPEN and do nothing else.

remember when Ainge drafted Delonte and said he liked him as much as Gordon? They are around the same talent level now aren't they? Ainge is a GREAT evaluator of talent.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »

Offline Tehran Lakers

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 6
Whoops.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I have so many questions about the free agents last year who didn't sign extensions in hopes of getting a bigger contract this year.  Why does Deng get $80M?  Why do Bogut and Okafor get $72M?  Who was bidding against Chicago for Luol Deng?  Against Charlotte for Okafor and against Milwaukee for Bogut?  I can understand market value, but when there is no room in the market you have to adjust the price, don't you?

And it's not like these guys made their team better, none of them made it to the playoffs save the two guys who might have increased their value, Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala.

These seem like the kind of signings that teams are going to regret when their players who are producing and making a positive impact in the teams performance are packing off to Europe for the money that their NBA team doesn't have.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.