Author Topic: Battier an Option?  (Read 5906 times)

Battier an Option?
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:54:31 AM »

Offline jsilva982

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Now that Artest is in Houston, does this make Battier available?  If so, do we want him?  Have the pieces to get him? 

Re: Battier an Option?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Now that Artest is in Houston, does this make Battier available?  If so, do we want him?  Have the pieces to get him? 

Available?  I don't think so.  He can play PF and he allows them to limit T-Mac's minutes.

Celtics want?   Most definitely. 

Pieces to get him?  No.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:00:44 AM »

Offline frosty33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Oh man do i love the idea of shane battier in green!

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Available?  I don't think so.  He can play PF and he allows them to limit T-Mac's minutes.

Pieces to get him?  No.
Yeah.....listen to wd because you're not going to get any better answer than that.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:06:04 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Morey would need to be more insane than Artest to trade Battier right now. What if RonRon leaves next off-season? What if he stops taking his medicines? And do they really want to offer him an extension?

I'd only trade Battier for really great value, the same I'd be asking before the trade. He's not the kind of player that would mind to be come off the bench. He's not being overpaid. T-Mac can get some minutes running the point against certain teams, Artest can play the 4. Adelman is a creative guy. Battier can still get 25-30 mpg, he'll be a terrific 6th man. I don't see many trades that can make them a better team.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I thought the same thing when I saw the trade, but as wdleehi pointed out, we have no assets with which to get him. 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

Shane Battier Trade Idea
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't think our team is oriented towards making a trade right now but lets take a look at it anyways.

Jr Giddens
Leon Powe
Brian Scalabrine

for

Shane Battier

Why this works for the Rockets:
JR Giddens helps them at the two. He's an unknown commodity but he can shoot, he can score, and he supposedly can defend. Leon Powe replaces a now over-priced Carl Landry in their lineup, and Scalabrine helps with cap relief a year earlier, even if it is a half of Battier's salary. Seems like a weak package but without the ability to trade 1st rd picks until 2011, we can't offer much else without breaking up our core.

For Boston:
From John Hollinger. This guy would be exactly the guy we need with Posey gone. He'd be my first choice actually.

Quote from: Scouting Report
OK, now that I've deconstructed his offense, let's get back to that defense, because it's pretty impressive. Battier was the Rockets' primary defensive stopper, and despite often giving up a quickness advantage to smaller guards he did very well in that role.

In addition, he managed to be a great team defender, especially when rotating off the ball for blocks and charges -- Battier ranked ninth in the NBA in offensive fouls drawn, according to 82games.com, and was 16th among small forwards in his rate of blocked shots. Overall, he's an even better team defender than he is one-on-one. The only place to nitpick is that his rebound rate declined from his marks in Memphis.

I nominated Battier for first-team All-Defense when I ranked defensive players at season's end, and I was surprised to see that he was left off the team entirely. Two of the wing players voted ahead of him, Raja Bell and Tayshaun Prince, are fine defenders, but I'm dubious that they had anywhere near the impact Battier had. The Rockets ranked third overall in defensive efficiency, narrowly missing out on the top spot, and Battier was unquestionably the best defender of the bunch, so it seems a little odd that he was left out in the voting.

Battier is a defensive savant and a very good 3 pt shooter. This really upgrades our squad.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Pieces to get him?  No.

I still pumped out a trade idea.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think we're better off waiting til next offseason and offering the MLE to Artest.

Re: Shane Battier Trade Idea
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I don't think our team is oriented towards making a trade right now but lets take a look at it anyways.

Jr Giddens
Leon Powe
Brian Scalabrine

for

Shane Battier

Why this works for the Rockets:
JR Giddens helps them at the two. He's an unknown commodity but he can shoot, he can score, and he supposedly can defend. Leon Powe replaces a now over-priced Carl Landry in their lineup, and Scalabrine helps with cap relief a year earlier, even if it is a half of Battier's salary. Seems like a weak package but without the ability to trade 1st rd picks until 2011, we can't offer much else without breaking up our core.

For Boston:
From John Hollinger. This guy would be exactly the guy we need with Posey gone. He'd be my first choice actually.

Quote from: Scouting Report
OK, now that I've deconstructed his offense, let's get back to that defense, because it's pretty impressive. Battier was the Rockets' primary defensive stopper, and despite often giving up a quickness advantage to smaller guards he did very well in that role.

In addition, he managed to be a great team defender, especially when rotating off the ball for blocks and charges -- Battier ranked ninth in the NBA in offensive fouls drawn, according to 82games.com, and was 16th among small forwards in his rate of blocked shots. Overall, he's an even better team defender than he is one-on-one. The only place to nitpick is that his rebound rate declined from his marks in Memphis.

I nominated Battier for first-team All-Defense when I ranked defensive players at season's end, and I was surprised to see that he was left off the team entirely. Two of the wing players voted ahead of him, Raja Bell and Tayshaun Prince, are fine defenders, but I'm dubious that they had anywhere near the impact Battier had. The Rockets ranked third overall in defensive efficiency, narrowly missing out on the top spot, and Battier was unquestionably the best defender of the bunch, so it seems a little odd that he was left out in the voting.

Battier is a defensive savant and a very good 3 pt shooter. This really upgrades our squad.

I doubt the Rockets would consider that.  It's basically two 2nd round picks and a $3 million practice squad player for their best defender.  If we were going to get Battier, we'd probably end up getting some extra salary dumped back on us as well, which we can't afford or match with expiring contracts (Alston?  Francis?).
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Boy I'd love to have him on our team.  One of those guys when we play against Houston I picture him in green!
tony allen
glenn davis
eddie house and a 2nd pick

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:28:02 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
No way Houston wants to give this guy up. If you are them, you are thinking you are contenders. With a core of TMAC, Yao, Artest, Battier, Brent Barry, and Steve Francis they have a valid argument. Giving up Battier (their Posey) makes no sense. Love to have him, but no way he is for sale!

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 02:30:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not to mention Battier is great insurance to have in case the whole Artest experiment doesn't work out.

Or even if it does work out.

If Artest is a bust, he leaves at the end of the year and Shane slips right back into his role from 2007-08. If Artest is a rousing success and then decides to leave for much greener pastures, Battier is still there.

Either way it is a win, win, win situation for Houston. They win for having him strengthen the bench this year, they win if Artest does poorly and leaves and they win if Artest does well and leaves.

Makes no sense to trade the guy.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:49:15 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
battier is actually an excellent replacement for posey if there ever was one. no way houston would let him go though.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
What about Lebron James, I heard he is pretty good and will fit well with this team ?
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!