Author Topic: Artest to the Rockets  (Read 13853 times)

Re: Artest to the Rockets
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 10:00:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

8th best team in deff. efficiency last season.

Basketball-reference.com has them at second, at 101.6 points per 100 possessions.  Did you see different numbers elsewhere?

EDIT: If you're looking at Hollinger's numbers on ESPN.com, those are the statistics for the playoffs (which is why Boston isn't ranked #1).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 10:35:09 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
This is actually a wonderful move by the Rockets. Artest gets to play for his favorite coach in Adelman. Looks good on the Kings' end as well as they get a young big with offensive potential and an expiring. The Rockets may have surpassed the Mavs as the second best Texas team. Battier to the bench only beefs up their depth. Now if Raefer Alston can be solid, the Rockets will be top 4 out west.

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Nice move for them.  Makes them better.  However, unless Artest is also some miracle doctor, it won't make a difference as Yao and/or McGrady will inevitably go down next year.  Even if they stay healthy, I don't think that anyone on that team has the heart to ever win it all. 

I don't know why I'm even saying this given the contracts the Celtics have to offer and what the Rockets would probably want, but it'd be amazing if the C's could somehow land Battier.  I can't imagine any conceivable way it'd work, but he'd be the perfect fit and could make us almost completely forget about Posey. 

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 10:59:53 PM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Nice move for them.  Makes them better.  However, unless Artest is also some miracle doctor, it won't make a difference as Yao and/or McGrady will inevitably go down next year.  Even if they stay healthy, I don't think that anyone on that team has the heart to ever win it all. 

I don't know why I'm even saying this given the contracts the Celtics have to offer and what the Rockets would probably want, but it'd be amazing if the C's could somehow land Battier.  I can't imagine any conceivable way it'd work, but he'd be the perfect fit and could make us almost completely forget about Posey. 

yes he'd fit the system quite nicely

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 11:02:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This makes Houston the front runner for me in the West. They were my pick to win the West last year and now that thy add Artest they are much better. With a healthy Yao and T mac this is a pretty good three man unit in the West. The Rockets had a crazy run last year but this season look for them to put together a solid all together year and nab home court advantage out West. Also this gives them the crazy ability to be an incredibly defensive team with arguably the two best defensive swingmen in the game (Artest and Battier) in the same lineup

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Artest for essentially two first round picks and an expiring. One pick being Donte Greene. Not bad paired with Martin. Greene will get more minutes; but rest of roster looks like a mess.

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 11:03:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
so it looks like, just like the 80's, we will win our titles against LA and Houston in the Finals ;D

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 11:06:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Excellent trade for Sacramento
Excellent trade for Houston

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 11:08:24 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
great move for houston. now they almost have a mini big 3. well not really mini in size but in talent and consistency.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 11:08:45 PM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
so it looks like, just like the 80's, we will win our titles against LA and Houston in the Finals ;D

Haha, you can add the Hornets on that list too. They should be good next year.

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 02:26:16 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
On paper the Rockets sound like a fun team to see this year, if all goes well for them. Alston at the point, McGrady falls back down to the SG(where he's more likely to stay healthy at) Artest at SF, Scola at PF and Yao at C. Bench players with Head, Battier, Mutombo and maybe a career resurgence of Steve Francis. Sounds great, and would be fun to see someone else making it to the WC Finals outside of San Antonio or LA. I'm still surprised that the Kings would give up so much for nothing. If this takes Houston to the Finals, then we might have another media joke on the Kings like Memphis had last year with the Gasol trade...
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 07:28:51 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

i was thinking the same thing. getting artest may actually make battier expendable.

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Houston was my team out West last year, and this makes them very strong. I mean everyone has said it; a great defense is even better now, they got a lot without giving up a lot, Artest's favorite coach is Adelman. Looks good to me.

No Iverson though please.

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Thats a pretty good team they got. with a starting 5 of Alston, McGrady, Artest, Scola and Yao. Along with some pretty decent subs in Luther Head, Battier, Landry.

The two keys for this team are health.  Their studs have a history of not staying healthy.  Also finding that killer instinct.  For the Celts this year KG brought a lot of passion and fire but Pierce was really that killer instinct (See Cleveland Game 7, Detroit Game 6).  While I think that Artest has a little of that in him, I dont know if its enough to transform them for a good team out West to a Championship quality team.

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 10:01:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This trade has only accomplished two things:

1.) It has made the Rockets a better regular season team.

Yes, the Rockets will win more regular season games, but until McGrady can grow a set, Yao can prove he is healthy, and Artest can prove he won't reek havoc on this team's chemistry, I feel a first round knockout is just as likely as any other year. All they really did is upgrade their SF position and relegate a hell of a player in Battier to the bench for more minutes per game.

2.) Proven the Maloof brothers aren't really good at talking out of both sides of their mouths.

These guys love being a couple of the more quoted owners in the NBA and their profession of love for Artest and the fact they wanted him to be a King, continues to show that these guys just love listening to their own voices. If they had kept their mouths shut, it might have made a team question whether they were really looking to move Artest when teams came knocking. But once they started talking you knew they were only saying the complete opposite of what they felt.

A very poor return for the best defensive wing in the league that can also put in close to 18-20 PPG and was an expiring contract. They might be happy with a couple of mid 20's 1st round draft picks but they should have gotten a lot more.