Author Topic: Pats Sign LaMont Jordan  (Read 2350 times)

Pats Sign LaMont Jordan
« on: July 29, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS/807280310

Not sure how i missed this over the weekend and monday, but the Patriots have sign free agent running back LaMont Jordan.

Jordan said the Patriots expressed interest to his agent almost immediately after he was released. Oakland drafted running back Darren McFadden in the first round and made it clear in the offseason Jordan was no longer welcome.

"Any time you have a chance to put on a Patriots uniform, you take it," Jordan said.

Jordan ran hard during red-zone plays yesterday and said his body responded well.

"I haven't been around football much in the offseason and it feels good to get back," said Jordan, who spent four years backing up Curtis Martin with the Jets before signing with Oakland in 2005.

His first season with the Raiders was a big one with 1,025 yards and nine touchdowns, but injuries limited him the past two seasons.

Jordan has also been adept at catching the ball out of the backfield, a must in the Patriots offense. In 2005, he had 70 receptions for 563 yards and two touchdowns.

The 5-10, 230-pound Jordan said he is already working on pass-protection schemes with running backs coach Ivan Fears, and he realizes the competition just to make the team will be tough, never mind finding significant playing time.

"Lamont adds some quality depth to our backfield," coach Bill Belichick said. "He's tough to tackle, a hard runner, and good in the passing game." 

I read somewhere else that this has Al Davis a little ticked off because, apparently, he had a verbal agreement with Jordan that he would not sign with the Broncos or Patriots if he was granted his release.  Can't find a link to that statement so take it for what it's worth...

I've actually always been a fan of him, he really should have gotten more of a chance to take over for Curtis when he hung it up...i already like Jordan's attitude as well - particularly when he stated that "Any time you have a chance to put on a Patriots uniform, you take it."  Shows that, though the media and fans outside NE love to hate the Pats, the uniform and organization is still held in high regard by players throughout the league. 

He should really add another exciting dimension to the passing game, especially those little dumps and screens that Tommy boy and coach love to call.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: Pats Sign LaMont Jordan
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I like the addition of a big back.  Between Jordan, Morris, Maroney, and Faulk we've got a pretty good stable of backs.  It doesn't help Maroney or Morris's fantasy abilities, though.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

Re: Pats Sign LaMont Jordan
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:50:24 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
solid signing by the Pats.  Anyone remember his nickname?  (I can't)
Celtics fan for life.