Author Topic: Which Boston athlete has suffered the most in his career?  (Read 8522 times)

Re: Which Boston athlete has suffered the most in his career?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Ted Williams is, hands down, the most talented player in Boston to never win a ring in his career.  I'm not sure how much that personally pained him, but I always got the impression that he didn't enjoy playing here as much as I would have liked him to.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Ted Williams is, hands down, the most talented player in Boston to never win a ring in his career.  I'm not sure how much that personally pained him, but I always got the impression that he didn't enjoy playing here as much as I would have liked him to.

yea, I can't think of anyone else who out does teddy.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
bill russell suffered the most mentally through discrimination, but pierce suffered more physically through his stabbing.

The situations of Russell and Pierce are night and day different.  There's been a ton of athletes who have been in bar altercations in this city (Bird, Neely, Hart Lee Dykes, Mo Vaughn, etc). 

When I think of suffering, I think of on field failures, greatness not realized for a myriad of reasons, lack of fan support, etc... 

well suffering is a very broad term, which can be interpreted differently.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 12:35:29 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Jeff Reardon has had some pretty hellish moments since retiring.  Las t I knew he had it under control.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 12:47:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Darryl Stingley.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Buckner.

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

Mark Bellhorn

- who should have been MVP of the 04 World Series

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Hard to disagree with most of the nominations mentioned, all with unique cross's to bear. Just as an honorable mention, I'll throw Rich Gedman out there. I went to a handful of games as a kid in the late '80's, and I can't recall an at bat Geddy had where he wasn't booed unmercifully.

Also, though I don't completely understand what exactly happened, but Jimmy Piersall had a nervous breakdown one season in the 50's.

But yeah, it's hard to argue with Stingley.

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Not to take anything away from Daryl Stingley, who suffered tremendously but was able to work through his paralysis and become a community leader, Normand Leveille was not only left physically destroyed by his headfirst crash into the boards, but was destroyed mentally as well.

I remember seeing him at a Bruins game a few years back and was heartbroken at his condition.

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Not to take anything away from Daryl Stingley, who suffered tremendously but was able to work through his paralysis and become a community leader, Normand Leveille was not only left physically destroyed by his headfirst crash into the boards, but was destroyed mentally as well.

I remember seeing him at a Bruins game a few years back and was heartbroken at his condition.

Here's a nice article from earlier this year about Norm.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2008/01/11/feeling_at_home_in_boston_leveille_celebrates/

along the same lines, high schooler Darryl Williams and BU hockey player Travis Roy were also paralyzed, sadly enough Williams was struck down by a bullet while practicing for his high school team.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

Here's a nice article from earlier this year about Norm.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2008/01/11/feeling_at_home_in_boston_leveille_celebrates/

along the same lines, high schooler Darryl Williams and BU hockey player Travis Roy were also paralyzed, sadly enough Williams was struck down by a bullet while practicing for his high school team.

Nice find --- TP for you

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »

Offline johnnymost

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • This year
Carl Yastremski had it pretty bad for a while. They booed him mercilessly for a while. Paul Pierce certainly has suffered thru some of the worst professional games I've seen, for a very long time.
No more waiting