Author Topic: Trade Thought With Atlanta  (Read 13455 times)

Re: Trade Thought With Atlanta
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Bad trade.  Josh Smith is one of the most over hyped players in the league. 

while I don't like this trade b/c of the redundance it creates, I don't think you can call Josh Smith overrated or overhyped - the kid has put up the numbers to back up his game. He helped a team no one thought would make the playoffs take the future NBA champion Celtics to 7 games - he had a monster game in game 3 with 27 pts 6 assists and 9 boards and followed it up with 28 pts 6 boards and 7 blocks in game 4 (both wins) - he showed his signs of youth on the road against the c's, but how many players in the playoffs for the 1st time have shown consistency and poise (Chris Paul is the only one who really comes to mind of late) - its a joke that Smith hasn't been to the all-star game yet. He does rely on his athleticism too much right now, but you know what? he has it so he might as well - I think he'll keep working and develop beyond just an athletic freak who can fill up the stat lines, his jumper has shown signs of improvement since he came in the league - and for an athletic type player he is awfully durable, played and started in 81 games this year... to call him overhyped I think is wrong

He was on a sub 500 team that should of had it's door blown off in the playoffs by the Celtics.  They were lucky that the Celtics didn't play worth a lick on the road. 

way to give no credit to a kid who has worked hard to become a more dominant player since he came in the league - you know PP has been on plenty of sub 500 teams, a few made the playoffs... I don't think any of us ever thought he was overrated or overhyped - Smith just played in his first playoff series, and at home he was dominant. on the road, he left a lot to be desired...kinda like a young phenom we have... What the Hawks did was actually impressive considering their lack of vet leadership, Mike Bibby aside, they had no one with the big game experience

How many sub 500 teams has Pierce been on when he is the 2nd player?   (not counting his rookie season)

37-45.

If Boston played away like they did on the road that series, Atlanta never gets closer then 10 points. 

He is a heck of a fantasy player.  He excites crowds with his dunks and blocks. 

But he is an undersized PF.  And they just don't win titles in this league (except Rodman).

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »

Offline Bidder225

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Including scal is a deal breaker for me.

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 08:45:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Bad trade.  Josh Smith is one of the most over hyped players in the league. 

while I don't like this trade b/c of the redundance it creates, I don't think you can call Josh Smith overrated or overhyped - the kid has put up the numbers to back up his game. He helped a team no one thought would make the playoffs take the future NBA champion Celtics to 7 games - he had a monster game in game 3 with 27 pts 6 assists and 9 boards and followed it up with 28 pts 6 boards and 7 blocks in game 4 (both wins) - he showed his signs of youth on the road against the c's, but how many players in the playoffs for the 1st time have shown consistency and poise (Chris Paul is the only one who really comes to mind of late) - its a joke that Smith hasn't been to the all-star game yet. He does rely on his athleticism too much right now, but you know what? he has it so he might as well - I think he'll keep working and develop beyond just an athletic freak who can fill up the stat lines, his jumper has shown signs of improvement since he came in the league - and for an athletic type player he is awfully durable, played and started in 81 games this year... to call him overhyped I think is wrong

He was on a sub 500 team that should of had it's door blown off in the playoffs by the Celtics.  They were lucky that the Celtics didn't play worth a lick on the road. 
did you ever think that maybe the Celtics were lucky Josh Smith didn't play on the road like he did at home?

Mike Bibby looked like an all star at home too.

Bottom line: I know i'm over valuing Rondo's potential a little. But your line in the sand stance on Smith seams a bit crazy. Josh Smith isn't exactly setting the world on fire from the 4 position. Heck he's not even the best PF on his own team. Horford is. And considering he gets so much offense from dunks, put backs, whatever; why is his FG% below .450?
Finishing 2nd in the league in consecutive seasons for blocks per game (3 straight years for total blocks), as well as amassing 1.4 and 1.5 steals in those years, aren't exactly things that happen on a regular basis.  And his defense is not just stat based, he is an excellent all around defender both in man and team defense.  He can guard just about any PF and SF and can guard a lot of SG's and C's.  He will be one of the best defenders in the league for years to come.

He is fair rebounder and passer for his position, though does need work on the ball handler and turnover department.

The biggest area he needs work is his shooting.  His eFG% from the outside was just 30%, which is where he took 48% of his shots, which is why his FG% was low this past season (and every season actually).  His eFG% for close shots was 53.7% (40% of his attempts), dunks encompassed 10% of his attempts and he made 97% (eFG%), tips were the other 2% of his attempts and he hit a surprisingly low 47.6% (eFG%). 

The thing is, outside shooting is one of the easiest areas to improve if you work at it and he has improved in that regard.  He will continue to improve and really develop into a legitimate star. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Smith is over hyped

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Well, I agree with wdleehi on Smith. In my view, Smith is an atrocious man-to-man defender, especially in the post. He's a good cheater/weak side helper and very agressive, but that kind of happy-go-lucky defense doesn't win you many games, although works wonders for fantasy leagues. Smith is like a more reckless and less polished Camby on defense. In fact, he's been so consistently undisciplined on defense during his career that I've started believing he's not the most coachable player in the league, so I don't know if he ever reaches that Camby/Wallace level.

On the offensive end, he's good when attacking the basket or running ISO plays with plenty of room to operate, but his dribble and ballhandling are so poor that he'll only be truly effective in a running team with some good creators and decent spacing. Very subpar player doing everything else. If I was a coach running primarly a half-court motion offense, I have no idea how could I use him. I'd probably change my offensive system.

OTH, he's an exciting player to watch and he's still very young, plenty of room to improve. But right now, from this Atlanta team I'd gladly bring JJ back; I think Horford is going to be really good; but I'm not sure if I'd give anything of value to get Smith.

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 11:26:34 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Well, I agree with wdleehi on Smith. In my view, Smith is an atrocious man-to-man defender, especially in the post. He's a good cheater/weak side helper and very agressive, but that kind of happy-go-lucky defense doesn't win you many games, although works wonders for fantasy leagues. Smith is like a more reckless and less polished Camby on defense. In fact, he's been so consistently undisciplined on defense during his career that I've started believing he's not the most coachable player in the league, so I don't know if he ever reaches that Camby/Wallace level.

On the offensive end, he's good when attacking the basket or running ISO plays with plenty of room to operate, but his dribble and ballhandling are so poor that he'll only be truly effective in a running team with some good creators and decent spacing. Very subpar player doing everything else. If I was a coach running primarly a half-court motion offense, I have no idea how could I use him. I'd probably change my offensive system.

OTH, he's an exciting player to watch and he's still very young, plenty of room to improve. But right now, from this Atlanta team I'd gladly bring JJ back; I think Horford is going to be really good; but I'm not sure if I'd give anything of value to get Smith.

I'd put Smith as second on his team behind JJ, but I think he brings an energy and excitement JJ doesn't bring - perhaps a PP, Antoine Walker dynamic... as for his defense, I actually saw him as a very solid man to man defender. He does block his own man's shots as well as helping from the weakside - a ton of blocks I saw (and this is a limited sample size) were on fast breaks as well, which is all about skill.... his outside shot has improved since year 1, and if he can get into the mid to high 30's from 3, watch out league

here's another good set of stats

in the league (per game):

top 50 in scoring (44)
top 30 in rebounding (26)
top 50 in rebounding (43)
top 20 in steals (16)
top 2 in blocks (2)

one downside, he was #9 in turnovers per game

he's all around, he's versatile, he's athletic as heck, and he's improved consistently since year 1 - shows passion, shows understanding of the game. I'd take him on my team any day of the week if the price is right. He's not overrated, because he's proven he can play...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 11:29:46 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
this is insane; i temporarily went blind after reading this.