Author Topic: Another Reason Why I Do Not Like Patrick Ewing  (Read 9172 times)

Another Reason Why I Do Not Like Patrick Ewing
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:55:27 AM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
From this mornings "Inside Track", "NBA great Patrick Ewing dancing up a storm at Whiskey Park and refusing to sign autographs or pose for cell-phone pictures"

I will never forget, but I attended the final regular season game at the Boston Garden. I was 14 at the time. The Celtics played the Knicks. About 45 minutes before the game starts Patrick Ewing and Derek Harper are sitting on the sidelines. Both players were suffering from injuries therefore they were both in street clothes. I am sitting in my seats with my dad. This younger boy and father attempt to go up to Patrick Ewing and get him to sign his Starting Lineup Figure. The boy was suffering some some disease that made him cripple. Patrick Ewing tells the kid and father to get away from him and then calls security to remove them. I do not like autograph hounds, but cmon the poor kid was suffering, sign a freaking autograph for him. This story reminded me of that situation.

I am so happy he never won a title!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"Anything is Possible!" - KG

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

Re: Another Reason Why I Do Not Like Patrick Ewing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:23:34 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wow.  That's pretty lame.

I'm of the mindset that players have a public duty to sign some things.  If they're worried about items ending up on ebay, they can always personalize the item (i.e., "to Billy", etc.)

I know Bill Russell never signed, either, but I was never a fan of that.  Still, from what I understand, Russell was willing to shake hands, etc.  From what you related about Ewing, it sounds like he was just being a jerk all around.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
Hobbs

I could not agree more. I can't stand autograph hounds. I want to tell them to get a job! Ewing is a clown. My guess is that guys were asking him to take a photo. If it was an attractive woman I bet he would have no problem obliging. Horrible!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
I don't really get autographs. It's some person's signature. So what? I've got autographs of Cousy, Bird, McHale, Reggie and the Chief and I don't really care for them one bit. I'm keeping them only because society puts a value on them and I'm not that stupid to throw them away.

I'm just not in awe of famous people. They are people just like you and me. What can come out of meeting them for two seconds? You didn't make their lives better. And your life isn't much better either. You just want to feel a little bit important (as if some famous person actually cares about you), but if anything, you are belittling yourself by believing that you are less than some other person. So, stop caring about famous people. It's a totally selfish act to ask someone to stop what he or she is doing and sign something or say hello. What happen to the whole 'all men are created equal'? A person's success shouldn't change that. Can't we just respect and revere all people the same way? 

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:54:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't really get autographs. It's some person's signature. So what? I've got autographs of Cousy, Bird, McHale, Reggie and the Chief and I don't really care for them one bit. I'm keeping them only because society puts a value on them and I'm not that stupid to throw them away.

I'm just not in awe of famous people. They are people just like you and me. What can come out of meeting them for two seconds? You didn't make their lives better. And your life isn't much better either. You just want to feel a little bit important (as if some famous person actually cares about you), but if anything, you are belittling yourself by believing that you are less than some other person. So, stop caring about famous people. It's a totally selfish act to ask someone to stop what he or she is doing and sign something or say hello. What happen to the whole 'all men are created equal'? A person's success shouldn't change that. Can't we just respect and revere all people the same way? 

To that, I ask: do you spend time during your day blogging about your garbage man?  Your dentist?  The guy you passed on the street?

The "they're just people, I don't treat them any differently than I do anybody else" seems weird, coming from an active member of a sports blog, you know?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
To that, I ask: do you spend time during your day blogging about your garbage man?  Your dentist?  The guy you passed on the street?

The "they're just people, I don't treat them any differently than I do anybody else" seems weird, coming from an active member of a sports blog, you know?

I wouldn't treat the players differently than my garbage men were I to see them. I only blog about the players because I've yet to find a good blog on dentistry or trash. Also since 99.9% of people are more concerned with famous people than a dentist, I can't help but fall into line with the others. 

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
Autograph or no autograph, the bigger issue is why does the person have to be a dink? Take a photo, shake a hand or do whatever.

I have seen celebrities use their fame to do many great things, its just my observation that Patrick Ewing can be a real turd.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:42:43 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I've never understood why people get so excited about autographs.  To me, I'd much rather have a short conversation with a player I admired than a few scribbles on a piece of paper.  And with some players, if they have a contract with Upper Deck, etc., they're restricted on giving out autographs.  I'm sure that's not the case for Ewing, as I've heard instances of him blowing off giving autographs to some people, and then giving one to someone he sees 5 seconds later, but it happens.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Bill Russell has explained why he doesn't sign autographs. It's something to the effect that it's demeaning to the person asking. Also, Russ considered himself an average person who just happened to play basketball. Russ will politely tell a person he won't sign, but he will shake his hand and talk with him. I think Dave Cowens had similar feelings (not sure I remember this correctly).

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
IMO, a player has no obligation to sign autographs. His only obligation is to play his heart out on the floor, which Ewing did on a daily basis.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »

Offline cmburrill

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
   Every yahoo at the game would be pestering these guys if they gave up an autograph. If a disabled kid wanted the autograph...Im sure he could have  received one by using his head not his mouth...

Cambridge R&L
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 01:36:10 PM by cmburrill »

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

I wouldn't treat the players differently than my garbage men were I to see them. I only blog about the players because I've yet to find a good blog on dentistry or trash. Also since 99.9% of people are more concerned with famous people than a dentist, I can't help but fall into line with the others. 

Wow. One question takes you to a strange place. There are lots of weird blogs out there besides sports you know..

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Wow.  That's pretty lame.

I'm of the mindset that players have a public duty to sign some things.  If they're worried about items ending up on ebay, they can always personalize the item (i.e., "to Billy", etc.)

I know Bill Russell never signed, either, but I was never a fan of that.  Still, from what I understand, Russell was willing to shake hands, etc.  From what you related about Ewing, it sounds like he was just being a jerk all around.

KG and Ray Allen are notorious for never signing autographs.

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:03:35 PM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
A friend of mine who went to the same high school that Ewing went to in Cambridge feels the same way about him. He tells me that he was scheduled to show up during a school rally but he never did. Supposedly to retire his number or something. The kids at the school disliked him after that.