Author Topic: Warriors look to be keeping Biedrins  (Read 2606 times)

Warriors look to be keeping Biedrins
« on: July 27, 2008, 07:51:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
http://secondjumpability.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/the-warriors-206-million-summer/

Yes, a shameless plug to get some views on my new blog.  But it's got the link to ESPN's story.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Warriors look to be keeping Biedrins
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:04:33 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
Two questions:

1) Did Golden State pay too much for Biedrins? Almost 10 mil per year seems a bit high for a 10/10 guy. He might improve to a 18/11, but do you think he'll be as good as, say, Big Al?

2) Can GS compete with a core of Ellis, Biedrins, Maggette and Jackson? That doesn't scream championship to me.

For all my life, I've prayed that GS and the Clippers would be good (mainly cause I was tired of LA, San Antonio, Houston, etc.), but they continue to overpay for very good, not great players.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 08:32:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Two questions:

1) Did Golden State pay too much for Biedrins? Almost 10 mil per year seems a bit high for a 10/10 guy. He might improve to a 18/11, but do you think he'll be as good as, say, Big Al?

2) Can GS compete with a core of Ellis, Biedrins, Maggette and Jackson? That doesn't scream championship to me.

For all my life, I've prayed that GS and the Clippers would be good (mainly cause I was tired of LA, San Antonio, Houston, etc.), but they continue to overpay for very good, not great players.

Dalembert set the market for middle of the road centers that average close to a double double and yes, the figure is $10 million per annum.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Their team definitely isn't a championship caliber, or possibly not a playoff contending team, but it does look like a team that could mess up a possible 7th or 8th place team or ruin a teams win streak b/c of the offensive talent. Look at them to play like Phoenix except less successful until they add a true PG 
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
So I know Centers are overpaid... but, we're seeing alot of bread go to Biedrins, Bogut, Diop, etc.

If Perks were a FA right now, what would he be paid?

40mil/5years?

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:11:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So I know Centers are overpaid... but, we're seeing alot of bread go to Biedrins, Bogut, Diop, etc.

If Perks were a FA right now, what would he be paid?

40mil/5years?
I'm sure that's a good starting point to work from as Perk's agent sees it, but my guess is when his contract comes time to be extended he'll be at $10 million per year or more.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Most of their cap space is tied up now so good luck for that team trying to improve in the near future (will be in little better position when Harrington and Jackson's contracts come off the books in 2 years).  I don't see them much more than a middle of the road team stuck in no man's land for now unless if Wright or Randolph really explode onto the scene.  I think Randolph could be a special player but he first has to work on putting some meat on. 

A sidenote I wonder with the Childress signing if more teams will start overpaying their RFAs with the threat of going to Europe.