Who should be the #1 pick?

Adrian Peterson
6 (35.3%)
LaDainian Tomlinson
9 (52.9%)
Other
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Fantasy Football: AP or LT?  (Read 11631 times)

Re: Fantasy Football: AP or LT?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 10:09:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would go LT. 

AP has yet to prove he could stay healthy.  He will be facing more stacked fronts.  And he has a better backup.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 10:13:52 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
You gotta go Tom Brady number 1.  Both LT and AP are coming off seasons where they were out with injuries.  How can you say no too 50 touchdown passes
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
You gotta go Tom Brady number 1.  Both LT and AP are coming off seasons where they were out with injuries.  How can you say no too 50 touchdown passes

depends on league scoring rules. in my leauge, and most FF leagues are scored this way, RB's are way more consistant point scorers than QB. Now, obviously tom shattered that last year, but historicly, Great RB's grind you out a high average of points, while great QB's are good one week, only ok the next, mostly due to the way yards are scored (in my league its 1 point per 50 for qb's, 1 per 25 for RB's) as well as TD's (6 for running, 4 for passing). also, RB's tend to double dip, since they also catch passes (1 point-per 20 yards)

also, RB's tend to have less turnovers. fumble losts are also often scored as less negitives than picks, though in my league thier scored the same, neg 4. still though, QB has 2 picks, all of the sudden his 2 TD's don't get you much.

Now, I'd still say tommy goes top 5, along with manning, but i'd say he's the 4th or 5th pick, you have to take AP or LT first, just way to consistant point wise. LT had a bad year last year (stat wise in comparision to his career) and still finshed 2nd in overall points in my league.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 10:38:13 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
LT

better track record, more balanced offense to prevent d's from stacking up on him, less injury prone style...

If standard scoring, Brady is a terrible first pick.  You can get a QB later that will put up similar (albeit likely not as good) numbers.  You arent likely to do that with one of the RB's. 

Re: LT or Peterson
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
LT is the safest way to go. AP still will share the ball with Chester Taylor (70/30) and has not proven he can stay healthy the whole season. And if you do draft LT, handcuff yourself to Darren Sproles within the first 10 rounds.  :)

I don't understand why people always feel the need to take LT's backup if they have LT.  In my mind you are wasting a pick.  Take someone that starts!  Is the rational that if LT gets hurt than Sproles will be just as good?  You're better off trying to find a diamond in the rough with those late picks. 
I don't understand why people always feel the need to take LT's backup if they have LT.  In my mind you are wasting a pick.  Take someone that starts!  Is the rational that if LT gets hurt than Sproles will be just as good?  You're better off trying to find a diamond in the rough with those late picks. 

Agreed.  I'd rather go for a guy that has a legit chance at a starting role than a guy that will give you nothing unless the star player in front of them is hurt.  Maybe if you are in a deep league I can see it, but your standard twelve man draft?  No dice.

Tell this to Michael Turner. He was a top 10 running back when he filled in for LT the last couple of years. Atlanta was so high on his skills that they payed $34.5 million for him ($15 million guaranteed). Just because your a backup, does not mean you don't have a lot of talent.

A few years ago, I drafted Priest Holmes in the first round. I did not handcuff Larry Johnson and Priest got hurt. Johnson ended up with 1750 yds and 20 tds. :(

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 11:11:02 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
LT is the safest way to go. AP still will share the ball with Chester Taylor (70/30) and has not proven he can stay healthy the whole season. And if you do draft LT, handcuff yourself to Darren Sproles within the first 10 rounds.  :)

Agreed.  I'd rather go for a guy that has a legit chance at a starting role than a guy that will give you nothing unless the star player in front of them is hurt.  Maybe if you are in a deep league I can see it, but your standard twelve man draft?  No dice.

Tell this to Michael Turner. He was a top 10 running back when he filled in for LT the last couple of years. Atlanta was so high on his skills that they payed $34.5 million for him ($15 million guaranteed). Just because your a backup, does not mean you don't have a lot of talent.

A few years ago, I drafted Priest Holmes in the first round. I did not handcuff Larry Johnson and Priest got hurt. Johnson ended up with 1750 yds and 20 tds. :(

right but in fantasy turner was terrable.

Fantasy football has nothing to do with player skill levels, its about stats and nothing but stats.

i mean, if your on your like last pick, and the backup is thier, sure take a flyer on him. but i don't see it as a "need" pick. rather just be handy with the FA pickups.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:16:30 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Depends on what you're going for.  Do you believe you are a good fantasy owner?  Then take LT as his team has finished in 1st and 2nd place the last 2 seasons in my league.

AP I think has more upside, so he could be taken by a guy looking for a homerun-type player rather than consistency.

I'd take LT.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79

Fantasy football has nothing to do with player skill levels, its about stats and nothing but stats.

i mean, if your on your like last pick, and the backup is thier, sure take a flyer on him. but i don't see it as a "need" pick. rather just be handy with the FA pickups.

Why stop at LT?  Why don't people handcuff Westbrook? 

My philosophy is to have a slot that is for weekly adds and drops so like last year Derek Anderson gets 4 touchdowns, I can pick up and see if he does it again next week, if he doesn't then I'll drop him for the next week's breakout guy. 

So taking LT's backup is like taking a dead slot.  No one else is going to take him anyway so you might as well keep the slot for a player that could breakout... and if LT gets hurt then you'll probably be the first to know so go pick him up then.     

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 02:18:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
right thats what i do. the only time i take a backup RB is if the team is using him on the goal line (I.e i had bettis when he was getting all the 1 yard line carries, and i got jacobs two years ago when i had tiki, just because jacobs always got the red zone carries)

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
One thing you can't do is pick Brady.  You NEED to go running back.  Depending on how many teams are in your league, if you don't go RB with the #1 pick, you'll be in a lot of trouble with your RB situation.  If you're in a normal 12 team league, you'll be picking 24th and 25th as your 2nd and 3rd pick, which you're not gonna get 2 starting RBs with known value there.  You might get lucky, but it's a chance.  They're will be a QB there and within the few rounds after that which are worth taking and are solid starting QBs for fantasy.  I would take LT, he's a lot more of a sure bet and he'll get a lot more receptions and receiving yards then AP.
do it

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I touched on this in my blog:

http://secondjumpability.wordpress.com/

I argued the AP side even though personally I would take LT in the league's that I play in.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
For those of you who have drafted, what were the first 12 picks? 

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Why stop at LT?  Why don't people handcuff Westbrook? 

My philosophy is to have a slot that is for weekly adds and drops so like last year Derek Anderson gets 4 touchdowns, I can pick up and see if he does it again next week, if he doesn't then I'll drop him for the next week's breakout guy. 

So taking LT's backup is like taking a dead slot.  No one else is going to take him anyway so you might as well keep the slot for a player that could breakout... and if LT gets hurt then you'll probably be the first to know so go pick him up then.     

In my league you have to have a balanced roster by gameday. This consists of:

2 qb
4 rb
4 wr
2 te
2 k
2 def

You are also allowed 2 roster spots for injured reserved that you can fill with any fa but qb's. Sometimes guys (12 man league) take fliers on rb in the late rounds. A shot in the dark that someone will get hurt. The year a Priest got hurt, a guy actually drafted LJ in the 8th round. I was shocked. But he was just drafting who his glossy magazine recommended. For the first 4 weeks, I tried to trade with him but he would not budge. Oddly enough, he had some injury problems and just cut him. I was not high enough on the waiver list to get him and lost out again. Next thing you know, Priest Holmes breaks his neck and my team was done.

As for Turner, I recall his stats were pretty good 2 years ago when LT had so many injury problems in the middle of the season. :-\
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird