Author Topic: Gomes resigns with Minny  (Read 4262 times)

Gomes resigns with Minny
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:15:55 PM »

Offline tallpaul

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/wolves/

I would imagine Gomes ended up getting $3.5 million for 3 or 4 years. Probably less than he was looking for, but still a decent payday for a good player and a good person. And a nice value for the Twolves. (As was Telfair at 2.5 mill for 2-3 years.) They might be interesting to watch into the future.

Re: Gomes resigns with Minny
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »

Offline Siggy

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Interesting to watch, because they have ex-Celtics on their roster. Ready to win? No way. There but for the grace of God and Danny Ainge go we.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:28:08 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i wonder who ainge wants to fill the roster. i didn't expect danny to make any moves for the rest of this summer and he wasn't looking for another undersized forward. not a big surprise for minny. gomes is very consistent and with a young team, you need that.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Interesting to watch, because they have ex-Celtics on their roster. Ready to win? No way. There but for the grace of God and Danny Ainge go we.

Clearly the Mormon god is powerful!

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:56:27 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
i wonder who ainge wants to fill the roster. i didn't expect danny to make any moves for the rest of this summer and he wasn't looking for another undersized forward. not a big surprise for minny. gomes is very consistent and with a young team, you need that.

He probably wants to wait and see how people perform in camp, and then will fill the last roster spot accordingly.  At this point, backup C and to a lesser extent backup SF (if Tony Allen struggles) are the biggest needs. 

I do expect Danny to sign a couple of scrub players for the sake of competition (and to satisfy certain agents).  In the past DA has signed players like Jackie Manuel, Ernest Brown, Will Bynum, etc for training camp.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 10:22:08 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don't get where Gomes fits on on Minny.

Big Al and Kevin Love are the PF/C combo of the future.

Mike Miller should be starting at SF.

They just re-signed Craig Smith to a two-year deal to back up at the PF spot.

They've got Corey Brewer, who's at 6'9" projects to their SF of the future.

They just traded for Rodney Carney, who also can play some SF.

There's still the issue of Gomes being too small to defend PF, and not quick enough to defend at SF. 

Is Gomes the long-term answer over Big Al/Love (whoever ends up playing PF), or Brewer, or Miller?  I get why they'd re-sign him if the deal's as modest as I think it is, but why also re-sign Craig Smith, then?

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

There's still the issue of Gomes being too small to defend PF, and not quick enough to defend at SF. 

Is Gomes the long-term answer over Big Al/Love (whoever ends up playing PF), or Brewer, or Miller?  I get why they'd re-sign him if the deal's as modest as I think it is, but why also re-sign Craig Smith, then?

I think they are looking at Gomes long-term as a great player off the bench. On a poor team he can be a starter. On a championship level team he is most definitely a 6th man. If he were on our squad that is the role he would play. How nice to have a guy like that who you can depend on to start if needed as they try and improve, but that is also going to be a stud off the bench if/when they become contenders.

If nothing more he is a great trading piece that a lot of teams would like to have on their team for future moves.

Congrats Gomes on a solid contract. Well deserved.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:55:31 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I would imagine Gomes ended up getting $3.5 million for 3 or 4 years. Probably less than he was looking for, but still a decent payday for a good player and a good person. And a nice value for the Twolves. (As was Telfair at 2.5 mill for 2-3 years.) They might be interesting to watch into the future.

Scal money for a person who actually produces on the basketball court.  What a concept!! 

Good for Ryan.  This seems like a great guy and a great teammate.  This trade progressively looks good for both teams.  A player with Gomes' skills will always find some playing time.  Regardless of depth. 

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It really doesn't make a lot of sense does it? With Big Al playing the center position last year there was plenty of munutes available at the PF position to divy up between Smith and Gomes. But with Love becoming the center and Al moving over to his more natural PF position, where does that leave Gomes and Smith?

If Love is on the court for 30 MPG, there is no way both Smith and Gomes get meaningful minutes. I'd say look for one to be traded before the deadline.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It really doesn't make a lot of sense does it? With Big Al playing the center position last year there was plenty of munutes available at the PF position to divy up between Smith and Gomes. But with Love becoming the center and Al moving over to his more natural PF position, where does that leave Gomes and Smith?

If Love is on the court for 30 MPG, there is no way both Smith and Gomes get meaningful minutes. I'd say look for one to be traded before the deadline.

On top of that they'll have Chris Richard...

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Has the $3.5 million been reported anywhere, or is that conjecture?  I couldn't tell from the OP.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Yeah, too many pieces, ultimately I think either Gomes or Smith will be traded (just like BBD and Powe here).  I like Gomes, and the numbers I'm hearing sound pretty fair.