Author Topic: Delonte West to Moscow-- Maybe  (Read 14919 times)

Re: Delonte West to Moscow-- Maybe
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I wonder to what extent these guys look beyond the money, and say "you know, living in Moscow is really something I don't look forward to".

Obviously, some players would love living abroad, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Well, I personally loved living abroad-- and from all reports Moscow is an interesting place these days. It also helps when you make 2-3 times more money than you would otherwise and pay no taxes.

I agree with Hobbsy here.  It's like if you were gonna take the money and run wouldn't you go to your destination of choice?  I mean yeah Moscow might be on the rise, but personally if I was gonna play over seas for a couple years send me to Greece, Italy, Spain...I mean the list goes on and on.  Hope Redz does well out there if he decides to go.  Maybe he's just pulling some sneaky deal to come back to the c's ;)

My question is though- when a foreign club offers a restricted player a contract does the nba team have to match that offer dollar for dollar or is there some conversion of americans$/euros?
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »

Offline canman1971

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I wonder to what extent these guys look beyond the money, and say "you know, living in Moscow is really something I don't look forward to".

Obviously, some players would love living abroad, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Well, I personally loved living abroad-- and from all reports Moscow is an interesting place these days. It also helps when you make 2-3 times more money than you would otherwise and pay no taxes.

I agree with Hobbsy here.  It's like if you were gonna take the money and run wouldn't you go to your destination of choice?  I mean yeah Moscow might be on the rise, but personally if I was gonna play over seas for a couple years send me to Greece, Italy, Spain...I mean the list goes on and on.  Hope Redz does well out there if he decides to go.  Maybe he's just pulling some sneaky deal to come back to the c's ;)

My question is though- when a foreign club offers a restricted player a contract does the nba team have to match that offer dollar for dollar or is there some conversion of americans$/euros?

The NBA team doesn't get to do anything.  They retain the players restricted status if the player returns to the NBA.  If the player chooses to go to Europe, the NBA team cannot stop them.

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

As opposed to living in Cleveland? I'll take Moscow. Moscow is booming and services should be really cheap. Sometimes we overrate life in US cities. At least he isn't in a small town or rural area in the US.

Living abroad is a great experience for people with the right mindset. Delonte seems like the type who enjoys new experiences.

I wonder if some of these guys will beocme citizens of other countries and play for their national teams, especially Childress with his 3 year deal.

Moscow is quite interesting if you can get past the gangsters, lack of democracy, and the Thought Police that try to control public language if you say something that certain people don't like. It's just about the most nonchalant government I can think of when it comes to assassinations.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 11:32:56 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I agree with Hobbsy here.  It's like if you were gonna take the money and run wouldn't you go to your destination of choice?  I mean yeah Moscow might be on the rise, but personally if I was gonna play over seas for a couple years send me to Greece, Italy, Spain...I mean the list goes on and on. Hope Redz does well out there if he decides to go.  Maybe he's just pulling some sneaky deal to come back to the c's ;)

[dang], you scared me for a second, I thought I'd been traded ;)
Yup

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

I agree with Hobbsy here.  It's like if you were gonna take the money and run wouldn't you go to your destination of choice?  I mean yeah Moscow might be on the rise, but personally if I was gonna play over seas for a couple years send me to Greece, Italy, Spain...I mean the list goes on and on. Hope Redz does well out there if he decides to go.  Maybe he's just pulling some sneaky deal to come back to the c's ;)

[dang], you scared me for a second, I thought I'd been traded ;)

hell yeah.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

As opposed to living in Cleveland? I'll take Moscow. Moscow is booming and services should be really cheap. Sometimes we overrate life in US cities. At least he isn't in a small town or rural area in the US.

Living abroad is a great experience for people with the right mindset. Delonte seems like the type who enjoys new experiences.

I wonder if some of these guys will beocme citizens of other countries and play for their national teams, especially Childress with his 3 year deal.

Moscow is quite interesting if you can get past the gangsters, lack of democracy, and the Thought Police that try to control public language if you say something that certain people don't like. It's just about the most nonchalant government I can think of when it comes to assassinations.

That's why we're not hearing about big dollar offers from Russia to Adonal Foyle. ;) And he could be pondering an offer from Karthum Basketball Club, it would be fairly worse. I don't think Delonte would care much about that. Moscow is a good city to visit if your company is paying for a fair share of the expenses. I suppose someone making $5 million per year wil be comfortable there. And it's 10000 times better than Khimki. Poor Delfino. In all honesty, I never believed that free-agents are usually concerned about the quality of the sushi restaurants or the local philharmonic orchestra, the nightlife or even the weather, at least until there are major leagues in the Antarctic or in the Seringeti, let alone the politics. But I'd rather live in a small town in middle America, happily clinging to guns, God and red meat, than in any big European (or American) city, so what do I know?

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Boy i really hope West takes the deal and leaves the NBA. I would be estatic.

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
>:(

;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
>:(

;D

:P

Become Legendary.

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

I'd feel like a target in Moscow.  How much scarier would it be to be tall, rich and famous there? 

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2008, 01:06:37 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Moscow is indeed a top destination but for short trips. For longer stay things are different. The russian winter is tough and the culture completely different. Many non russian players stated that it was extremely difficult to adapt. But on the other hand there are others that feel good there like Langhton for example

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
There's an article on the News-Herald saying that Delonte won't be joining the Russian team.

However, Cavaliers point guard Delonte West probably won’t be joining them. An Internet report saying he received a lucrative offer from Dynamo Moscow in Russia is false.
Nachbar, who played in New Jersey last year, recently signed a three-year, $14.3 million deal with Dynamo. That pretty much ate up the rest of Dynamo’s payroll.
Besides, they already have a pretty good point guard in former Oklahoma star Hollis Price.
http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19872703&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

That's interesting. We'll see in time if the author is well informed or not. He seems confident it won't happen and that the offer wasn't made.

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 07:47:24 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
There's an article on the News-Herald saying that Delonte won't be joining the Russian team.

However, Cavaliers point guard Delonte West probably won’t be joining them. An Internet report saying he received a lucrative offer from Dynamo Moscow in Russia is false.
Nachbar, who played in New Jersey last year, recently signed a three-year, $14.3 million deal with Dynamo. That pretty much ate up the rest of Dynamo’s payroll.
Besides, they already have a pretty good point guard in former Oklahoma star Hollis Price.
http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19872703&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

That's interesting. We'll see in time if the author is well informed or not. He seems confident it won't happen and that the offer wasn't made.

So, no NBA team offered Delonte anything and neither did Moscrow.  Looks like the Cavs have Delonte right where they wanted him. The Cavs obviously believe that Gibson has more upside (so do I), that's why they took care of him quickly and let Delonte sweat it out.

Besides, would it really be smart for the Cavs to lock  up 2 backup quality point guards to long term deals?  They need a starting quality point guard (which they have been looking for even with West in the fold). So it makes sense for them not to give Delonte a big long term deal, once they did it for Gibson.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 09:04:48 AM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
It would be a shame to lost Delonte to Europe. He can start on alot of NBA teams.

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
It would be a shame to lost Delonte to Europe. He can start on alot of NBA teams.

No he wouldn't.  At least not teams trying to win a championship (except for Cleveland because they have no one better right now).
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson