Author Topic: Delonte West to Moscow-- Maybe  (Read 14909 times)

Delonte West to Moscow-- Maybe
« on: July 24, 2008, 09:55:12 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Dynamo Moscow has reportedly offered Delonte West a 2-year, 10 million-dollar deal and he is currently negotiating with that team.  See: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmceVfuPVR6Uq4XuQi4w1ZY5nYcB?slug=aw-west072408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

It will be interesting to see what the Cavs do.  They have full Bird rights.  My guess is that they will let Delonte walk, and try to get by with Daniel Gibson at the point with a minimum salaried veteran backup.

They're going to love Delonte in Russia.  Whatever else happens, he will lead that team in floor burns.

We also see another example of the NBA turning into a farm system for the wealthy European franchises.

Re: Delonte West to Moscow-- Maybe
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:59:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I wonder to what extent these guys look beyond the money, and say "you know, living in Moscow is really something I don't look forward to".

Obviously, some players would love living abroad, but it's certainly not for everyone.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
There's something about Delonte being in Russia. Great stuff. That's a good contract offer that he should take. Happy for him, that's a good deal. The Cavs should probably let him go.

If Delonte does leave, how badly does that hurt the Cavs?

There's not much talent left in the point guard ranks. They're nearly all third stringers. Pargo is the only one with quality but he'd be expensive. None in that 1-3mil quality backup range. Delonte is probably the second best Cav at creating his own shot (since they don't post up Z enough) so LeBron can look forward to creating even more of the action in a larger number of possessions.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I wonder to what extent these guys look beyond the money, and say "you know, living in Moscow is really something I don't look forward to".

Obviously, some players would love living abroad, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Well, I personally loved living abroad-- and from all reports Moscow is an interesting place these days. It also helps when you make 2-3 times more money than you would otherwise and pay no taxes.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:16:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Their expiring contracts could net an overpaid point guard like an Earl Watson or Luke Ridnour. They could take a chance on Tinsley, or overpay Sasha Vujacic .... Mo Williams lack of point guard bones won't hurt as much in Cleveland since they have no offense, hardly any passing and LeBron dominates the ball. Stephon Marbury possibly.

Oh, Mike James would be a very interesting fit next to LeBron. Hornets would be happy to take part in that and the Cavs could possibly get something else of quality in return.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Well, I personally loved living abroad-- and from all reports Moscow is an interesting place these days. It also helps when you make 2-3 times more money than you would otherwise and pay no taxes.

I've never lived in Russia, but did live in China for a year.  That was all I could take.  For a pro basketball player, I could see retiring to play in Europe, but if you go over now while still young, you risk not being able to come back -- I think that is the problem Delonte is facing.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I'm also curious as to whether some of these Euro signings will be worth it for the clubs involved.  Is a player like Carlos Delfino or Delonte West good enough to totally dominate the league they're playing in?  While they bring an appreciably better chance of their teams winning a title, or in selling tickets?

I have no idea what the answers to those questions are.  It will be interesting to see; I think if some of these role players don't pay immediate dividends, you could see this trend dry up fairly quickly.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:41:10 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

As opposed to living in Cleveland? I'll take Moscow. Moscow is booming and services should be really cheap. Sometimes we overrate life in US cities. At least he isn't in a small town or rural area in the US.

Living abroad is a great experience for people with the right mindset. Delonte seems like the type who enjoys new experiences.

I wonder if some of these guys will beocme citizens of other countries and play for their national teams, especially Childress with his 3 year deal.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm also curious as to whether some of these Euro signings will be worth it for the clubs involved.  Is a player like Carlos Delfino or Delonte West good enough to totally dominate the league they're playing in?  While they bring an appreciably better chance of their teams winning a title, or in selling tickets?

I have no idea what the answers to those questions are.  It will be interesting to see; I think if some of these role players don't pay immediate dividends, you could see this trend dry up fairly quickly.

The ability for an NBA regular to come in and dominate may be secondary to the stature and image a team gains from by doing so.

And as for Moscow, I was reading an article in National Geographic about just how hip the city has become.  There's a ridiculous amount of money floating around and all sorts of interesting places giving the wealthy every opportunity to spend it. 
Yup

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 10:52:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

As opposed to living in Cleveland? I'll take Moscow. Moscow is booming and services should be really cheap. Sometimes we overrate life in US cities. At least he isn't in a small town or rural area in the US.

Living abroad is a great experience for people with the right mindset. Delonte seems like the type who enjoys new experiences.

I wonder if some of these guys will beocme citizens of other countries and play for their national teams, especially Childress with his 3 year deal.

As I said, it depends on the player.

From what I've read, basketball players abroad don't have the same star treatment or amenities that they're used to over here.  In a lot of places, there are language barriers; as much as we like to assume that everyone speaks English these days, that's not the case in many European capitals.

I think some people are underrating some of the cultural differences.  The difference between Philadelphia, Boston, and Cleveland is trivial compared to the difference between, say, Atlanta and Athens.  Some players would no doubt see Athens (or Moscow) as an upgrade over Atlanta (or Cleveland), while others would become homesick quite quickly.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

Everyone I know that's been to Moscow says it's a really nice city, but then again, they're not NBA Players or multi-millionaires.  I also think that Moscow is the fourth (I think) most expensive city in the world behind Tokyo, New York and London.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:03:46 PM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 11:21:45 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I hear ya dude.  Russian chicks are so insanely hot.  Waaayyyy hotter than any of our cities here, except for maybe Miami.  That's reason enough to head over there for a couple years.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 11:28:50 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I hear ya dude.  Russian chicks are so insanely hot. 

They're very popular with middle aged affluent Korean men, that's for sure.  Captains of industry, some might say.

Waaayyyy hotter than any of our cities here, except for maybe Miami.  That's reason enough to head over there for a couple years.

Clearly you've never been to Southern Illinois.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 11:29:08 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

As I said, it depends on the player.

From what I've read, basketball players abroad don't have the same star treatment or amenities that they're used to over here.  In a lot of places, there are language barriers; as much as we like to assume that everyone speaks English these days, that's not the case in many European capitals.

I think some people are underrating some of the cultural differences.  The difference between Philadelphia, Boston, and Cleveland is trivial compared to the difference between, say, Atlanta and Athens.  Some players would no doubt see Athens (or Moscow) as an upgrade over Atlanta (or Cleveland), while others would become homesick quite quickly.

the way i see it, dwest could potentially dominate overseas in russia. he's a great shooter and would play great there; might even look a little like larry bird. however, he has a place in the nba... a lot of teams could really use him. i don't see him as the type of player whose personality would cause him to go for the money. i see him staying in the us.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I can't believe Gibson gets the multi-year deal and West gets Moscow....

Bad choice by Danny Ferry.  

Delonte is a perfect fit with Lebron in the Mike Brown offense (get it to Lebron, get out of the way).

West is a better defender & 3pt shooter than Gibson, imo.  Aren't those the specific areas you want your pg to excel in if you are the Cavs?