Author Topic: Mid-summer report card  (Read 8056 times)

Re: Mid-summer report card
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Atlanta - F
Boston - C
Charlotte - F
Chicago - B
Cleveland - C
Dallas - D
Denver - C
Detroit - F
Golden State - F
Houston - A
Indiana - F
LA Clippers - D
LA Lakers - C
Memphis - C
Miami - B
Milwaukee - C
Minnesota - D
New Jersy - C
New Orleans - D
New York - D
Orlando - D
Phily - A
Phoenix - D
Portland - A
Sacramento - C
San Antonio - F
Seattle - F
Toronto - D
Utah - F
Washington - C

Wow.  Pretty harsh assessment for most teams in the league.  The Utah grade, especially.  If anything, I think they're improved their team to a small degree; and F seems overly harsh.  Dallas seems a bit harsh, too; Diop should help, and taking a flyer on Gerald was worth the minimum.  I'm assuming Minnesota scored so poorly because you hated the Mayo/Love trade, and yet Memphis only got a "C".  I'd hate to be a student in your class; it seems like the grading curve is about a D+.

I think we need to see how the draft plays out before condemning so many teams to failing off-seasons.  I can only assume that that's where most of these rankings stem from.  For instance, I'm not ready to give Seattle an "F" until I see how Russell Westbrook plays, etc.

You're right they are harsh rankings. Several teams like Utah got bad grades for failing to address their needs (Dallas is another, San An, Detroit), they are wasting their opportunity to contend for a title. Several other teams got bad grades or middling grades because their moves make them better but don't set them up well for taking that next step (Milwaukee, Clippers, Charlotte).

Seattle got a bad grade for leaving Seattle. Not moving Jeff Green. Not making any other moves to get better. And because of their draft pick. I'm taking the opposite view on Westbrook - I'm waiting to see him play well before giving him a positive line. Should have taken Love or Bayless.

Westbrook was intriguing at the Orlando summer league. Waiting to see him in the pros.

I really give the Clippers credit. They have no chance at winning the title, but are still spending money trying to put a competitive team on the court. So for that, I give them a C+ for trying.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Given the lull in activity, perhaps it is worth a look around the league to see where things (the celtics) stand. I should preface this by saying that I give the Celtics a B- so far. Good draft; but still a lot of questions about who will be able to contribute and when. Concerned about SF and Center positions. East also got tougher. Not a slam dunk by any means.

would appreciate comments/refinements

Most Improved (A): Total 5 teams
Pacers
Timberwolves
Heat
Portland
Sixers (Igoudala?)

Not Bad/Not great (B): Total 10 teams
Spurs (young blood/old guard)
OKC
Hornets (posey factor)
LA (bynum factor)
Kings
Mavericks
Nets
Celtics (B-)
Toronto
Bucks

Neutral (C); Total 10 teams
Cavs
Memphis
Jazz
Wash Wiz
Magic
Houston
Knicks
Warriors (Inc.?)
Pistons
Clippers (Inc.?)

Under Achievers (D): Total 2 teams
Denver
Atlanta

Incomplete (inc.) Total 3 teams
Bobcats (Okafur?)
Atlanta (Smith?)
Bulls (Deng/Gordon?)
counted Atlanta twice under D and Incomplete.  Missed Phoenix. 

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
how have the wolves improved? i don't see added love as a huge improvement.

pacers?? i don't feel the pacers improved either. if anything, they've gotten weaker in my eyes.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:29 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
how have the wolves improved? i don't see added love as a huge improvement.

pacers?? i don't feel the pacers improved either. if anything, they've gotten weaker in my eyes.

Love should help, but they also added Mike Miller who is a great fit next to Al spreading the floor and adding another scoring punch.

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Pacers - This is for getting rid of the legacy of the Auburn Hills brawl more than anything. Like Brandon Rush draft and think Hibbert could be decent NBA player. Not saying J. Mc Roberts or Nesterovic is a J. ONeal type player.

Add: Draft
B Rush
R Hibbert

Add: Trade
T.J. Ford
R. Nesterovic
J McRobert
Jarret Jack
Maceo Baston

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=PlayerMovement-2008-09

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 09:05:55 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Pacers - This is for getting rid of the legacy of the Auburn Hills brawl more than anything. Like Brandon Rush draft and think Hibbert could be decent NBA player. Not saying J. Mc Roberts or Nesterovic is a J. ONeal type player.

Add: Draft
B Rush
R Hibbert

Add: Trade
T.J. Ford
R. Nesterovic
J McRobert
Jarret Jack
Maceo Baston

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=PlayerMovement-2008-09

Overall, I'm with you: they improved, especially since they got absolutely no contribution from J.O. last season.

That being said, I think they would have been better off keeping Bayless and Diogu, rather than Rush and Jack.  I think Portland made out pretty well in that trade.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 09:30:47 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Atlanta - F
Boston - C
Charlotte - F
Chicago - B
Cleveland - C
Dallas - D
Denver - C
Detroit - F
Golden State - F
Houston - A
Indiana - F
LA Clippers - D
LA Lakers - C
Memphis - C
Miami - B
Milwaukee - C
Minnesota - D
New Jersy - C
New Orleans - D
New York - D
Orlando - D
Phily - A
Phoenix - D
Portland - A
Sacramento - C
San Antonio - F
Seattle - F
Toronto - D
Utah - F
Washington - C

Did Houston lock up Landry? I couldn't see giving them an A if he's looking at europe (pretty sure I heard that).

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 11:54:15 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Atlanta - They've lost Childress and have seemingly alienated Smith while adding no one. Grade - F
Boston - Loss of Posey without a reconfigure of the bench but rather just signing House and Allen is a step back. They seem to be taking a gamble that one of three youngsters will blossom(O'Bryant, Walker, Giddens). Not a gamble I like. Grade - C-
Charlotte - A young team that got younger drafting Augustin and Ajinca. They keep piling up the trading chips. If the plan is to attempt to copy Ainge and trade those chips into contendership then they made the right move. But they are no better on the floor than they were in April. Grade - C+
Chicago - They drafted Rose, have lost Duhon, and have yet to sign their RFA's. This is a team screaming for a trade to happen to improve itself. Since they went with Rose over what I consider to be to better players in Beasley and Mayo: Grade - C
Cleveland - For where they drafted I think the Cavs did great with Darnell Jackson and J J Hickson. If they resign Delonte and grow more as a team then: Grade - B-
Dallas - They drafted no one of consequence, overpaid for a stiff, and Kidd is another year older and slower and less likable Grade - D
Denver - I'm still trying to figure this team's management out. They've killed themselves with bad contracts so they give away the only good contract they had for a second rounder. They trade out of #20 til next year and pass on Koufos and Pekovic and Chalmers, all areas they could have used. Then they go out and sign a guy out of rehab. Grade - D-
Detroit - They drafted D J White and traded him for 2 stiffs and .....nothing. Grade - C-
Golden State - everything they have done has been reactive not proactive. Grade - F
Houston - They added Barry and Greene in an area they needed help in. That alone should warrant an A- but they still have the player that can't deliver when he needs to so only: Grade - B
Indiana - This is all I have to say about this fiasco. Fire Larry. They are paying five, yes count them, five PGs a total of $17 million. Larry you can't throw five PGs together, pay them Chris Paul money and think you are going to get Chris Paul results. Grade - F
LA Clippers - I like what they have done mostly because I think Elton Brand still has to prove his Achilles will allow him to be Elton Brand. Camby, Davis, Gordan and DeAndre Jordan in the 2nd round are excellent pickups for what they paid for them. Grade - A-
LA Lakers - they lost Turiaf, Vujacic might head back to Europe, they drafted no one, and they are hoping an often injured, young and as of yet unproven center comes back and becomes something he might not be able to be. Grade - D+
Memphis - they stole a superstar for a journeyman center. Grade - A
Miami - I love all three guys they draft in Beasley, Chalmers, and Padgette. Now if they could just find a way to not resign Ricky Davis and get Blount and Banks never to show up again, they would get a perfect grade. Grade - A
Milwaukee - overall not bad but they have glaring weaknesses at the PG and PF positions and did little to rectify that. Williams is a 1 that wants to be a 2 and Villanueva and Alexander are 4s that play they game of a 3. Still they have Jeffereson, Redd and Bogut so: Grade - B-
Minnesota - another ex-Celtic that needs desperately to be fired. They traded a superstar for a journeyman center Grade - D-
New Jersey - they got bigger, tougher, and younger and dropped the ever more important salary. Their grade is based on the fact they are doing everything they can to land LeBron in two years. Grade - A-
New Orleans - Posey gives them a B but they deserve a D for overpaying. Grade- B
New York - Once they buyout Starbury they will be adding by subtracting so I'll count that in here. But I'm not convinved Duhon can run a team as a starter and be successful and if Gallinari doesn't pan out and some of the other vast amounts of talent drafted after him do, D'Antoni may not get enough run to get the Knicks running. I know most experts have Gallinari being exceptional as a player but they all questioned his athleticism and strength. Hope this turns out like Darko did for Dumars. Grade - C-
Orlando - consider me a fan of what the Magic are doing do there - Grade - B
Philadelphia - obviously stealing Brand was huge and Speights has potential but if Brand's Achilles doesn't let him be Brand they are in trouble. Grade - A-
Phoenix - They drafted a guy to take Brian Skinner's place. Big deal. Grade - C
Portland - I can't go on enough about enough about how well this franchise has been doing. With everything else they have Oden coming back. Grade - A+
Sacramento - "With the 12th pick in the 2008 NBA draft the Sacramento Kings select Jason Thompson, Rider University"?? Who?? Was this guy even expected to go in the top 45?? Oh and thanks Kings for giving an unproven PG who has only had a decent 3/4 of a season MLE money. You just drove the price for Rondo up by about $4 million a year. Grade - D+
San Antonio - they've taken care of business and will be the same team next year, just a year more mature. Grade - C-
Seattle - Well, they are a lot younger and they were already pretty young. They won't be better but they will have a bunch of trading chips in 2-3 years. Grade - B
Toronto - I hated the O'neal trade but that said if he and Bargnani bounce back they could be much improved. If they don't it's lotteryland. Grade - B-
Utah - I'm not the biggest Koufos fan but the Tomic kid could some day pay dividends. Grade - C
Washington - This team could have done so much better and so much more by not bringing back the very selfish, me first Gilbert Arenas. Instead they are now stuck with him for years to come. This was a better team without him. Substraction by addition. Grade - D+

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Houston - A

Did Houston lock up Landry? I couldn't see giving them an A if he's looking at europe (pretty sure I heard that).

RealGM ran that headline. In the actual article they said their is interest but he's unlikely to leave:

Baker would not specify which teams have expressed interest. He said there have also been inquiries from several teams overseas. But though he said Landry would consider any offer, he downplayed the likelihood Landry choosing to leave the NBA.

I still feel comfortable they're keeping Landry. They're at least the frontrunner. If they don't hold onto him their grade changes.

I love the Donte Greene pickup and the Brent Barry addition. They were desperate for more help on the wings, more size on the wings (instead of 6-3 Luther Head) and more shooting on the wings. They answered all of that. They'll likely keep Deke too which is another good move, and I like the Dorsey pickup.

Houston had limited options and they did excellent work with those options so I gave them an A.

Their GM, Morey, has also said there's another move coming. Likely a trade although he stresses it's a minor trade. That'll be very interesting to see.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
How does Min. get a D-. Not everyone likes the Love deal; but M Miller and R Carney are big additions and the get reliable bigs to back up Jefferson. Miller provided needed offense and outside shooting to take pressure off of Big Al. They are a much better team if Foye steps up (if).