Author Topic: Mid-summer report card  (Read 8059 times)

Mid-summer report card
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:35:08 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Given the lull in activity, perhaps it is worth a look around the league to see where things (the celtics) stand. I should preface this by saying that I give the Celtics a B- so far. Good draft; but still a lot of questions about who will be able to contribute and when. Concerned about SF and Center positions. East also got tougher. Not a slam dunk by any means.

would appreciate comments/refinements

Most Improved (A): Total 5 teams
Pacers
Timberwolves
Heat
Portland
Sixers (Igoudala?)

Not Bad/Not great (B): Total 10 teams
Spurs (young blood/old guard)
OKC
Hornets (posey factor)
LA (bynum factor)
Kings
Mavericks
Nets
Celtics (B-)
Toronto
Bucks

Neutral (C); Total 10 teams
Cavs
Memphis
Jazz
Wash Wiz
Magic
Houston
Knicks
Warriors (Inc.?)
Pistons
Clippers (Inc.?)

Under Achievers (D): Total 2 teams
Denver
Atlanta

Incomplete (inc.) Total 3 teams
Bobcats (Okafur?)
Atlanta (Smith?)
Bulls (Deng/Gordon?)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:49:21 PM by gar »

Re: Mid-summer report card
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How did, say, the Cavs earn a B?  Did they sign anybody other than their own free agents?  Also, I've got to think that Milwaukee improved itself, by drafting Joe Alexander and trading for Richard Jefferson.

Honestly, if a "C" is neutral, I'd put the Celtics at a C-.  I don't think that losing Posey and P.J. Brown, but signing O'Bryant and drafting Bill Walker + Giddens, is a net win for us.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
Guess I see Hickson as a promising addition. Delonte is a question still so "C" it is. Am sticking with a B- for the C's based on the promise of Giddens/ Walker & POB and an improved Rondo. Also curious to see which BBD emerges from the phone booth at the end of the summer.

(see revisions)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Houston adding Donte Greene and Brent Barry, the guy they really wanted were both excellent additions. I'd give them a B easily.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Also, the Knicks should be in the "A" category for getting rid of Isiah, hiring D'Antoni and drafting Gallinari.  They will still probably be bad next season, but the first one alone should count for something beyond a "C"

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't see the Nets higher than Milwaukee.

Celtics in the B range seems like major homerism. Every team gets excited about their draft picks until the season starts and reality sets in.

Knicks get an "A" for dumping Isiah.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
Had Houston higher as well at one point and agree that the Knicks are turning things around; but there are a lot of question marks / issues to be dealt with before they will have turned the corner. All good points.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Atlanta - F
Boston - C
Charlotte - F
Chicago - B
Cleveland - C
Dallas - D
Denver - C
Detroit - F
Golden State - F
Houston - A
Indiana - F
LA Clippers - D
LA Lakers - C
Memphis - C
Miami - B
Milwaukee - C
Minnesota - D
New Jersy - C
New Orleans - D
New York - D
Orlando - D
Phily - A
Phoenix - D
Portland - A
Sacramento - C
San Antonio - F
Seattle - F
Toronto - D
Utah - F
Washington - C

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Also, the Knicks should be in the "A" category for getting rid of Isiah
I think the Knicks 'released' Isiah of his coaching and GM duties, but not fired, and is still somewhere in the organisation although don't have a specific title, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also on the subject of D'Antoni, I'd be interested to see if he'll run his run and gun offence (with no D) with the Knicks and if so, how that'll work out since the Knicks don't play D anyway...also with Randolph and Curry still on board atm...it can turn out either disastrous or miraculously good.

Also, I've got to think that Milwaukee improved itself, by drafting Joe Alexander and trading for Richard Jefferson.
I think the RJ addition is good too, but unsure about joe Alexander, from reports on his summer league, sounds like the Bucks got another Charlie Villanueva (only CV's still on the team and is better).

I was meant to post this link about the rookies report here as I didn't see it on this site, I guess I can tag it here:
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-74/Maurice-Brooks--Summer-League-Wrap-Up.html
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »

Offline WillyBeamin

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • Celtic Pride
How did, say, the Cavs earn a B?  Did they sign anybody other than their own free agents?  Also, I've got to think that Milwaukee improved itself, by drafting Joe Alexander and trading for Richard Jefferson.

Honestly, if a "C" is neutral, I'd put the Celtics at a C-.  I don't think that losing Posey and P.J. Brown, but signing O'Bryant and drafting Bill Walker + Giddens, is a net win for us.

I agree with you hobbs, but I'd interpret this as more of a grade for how they've done with everything taken into account (like how much it would have cost to sign posey), not if they've improved or gotten worse.

I don't think the celtics should have offered posey a 4th year, so by not doing so and signing two players who know our system and can contribute for a total of $5mil is pretty good in my book. Not great, but not bad either.
Take it to the hole, there's a dance involved

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 08:39:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Also, the Knicks should be in the "A" category for getting rid of Isiah
I think the Knicks 'released' Isiah of his coaching and GM duties, but not fired, and is still somewhere in the organisation although don't have a specific title, please correct me if I'm wrong.

He's still in the organization, but so what? He has no more power to make decisions and won't deal with players. That's a major move.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Atlanta - F
Boston - C
Charlotte - F
Chicago - B
Cleveland - C
Dallas - D
Denver - C
Detroit - F
Golden State - F
Houston - A
Indiana - F
LA Clippers - D
LA Lakers - C
Memphis - C
Miami - B
Milwaukee - C
Minnesota - D
New Jersy - C
New Orleans - D
New York - D
Orlando - D
Phily - A
Phoenix - D
Portland - A
Sacramento - C
San Antonio - F
Seattle - F
Toronto - D
Utah - F
Washington - C

Wow.  Pretty harsh assessment for most teams in the league.  The Utah grade, especially.  If anything, I think they're improved their team to a small degree; and F seems overly harsh.  Dallas seems a bit harsh, too; Diop should help, and taking a flyer on Gerald was worth the minimum.  I'm assuming Minnesota scored so poorly because you hated the Mayo/Love trade, and yet Memphis only got a "C".  I'd hate to be a student in your class; it seems like the grading curve is about a D+.

I think we need to see how the draft plays out before condemning so many teams to failing off-seasons.  I can only assume that that's where most of these rankings stem from.  For instance, I'm not ready to give Seattle an "F" until I see how Russell Westbrook plays, etc.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Atlanta - F
Boston - C
Charlotte - F
Chicago - B
Cleveland - C
Dallas - D
Denver - C
Detroit - F
Golden State - F
Houston - A
Indiana - F
LA Clippers - D
LA Lakers - C
Memphis - C
Miami - B
Milwaukee - C
Minnesota - D
New Jersy - C
New Orleans - D
New York - D
Orlando - D
Phily - A
Phoenix - D
Portland - A
Sacramento - C
San Antonio - F
Seattle - F
Toronto - D
Utah - F
Washington - C

Wow.  Pretty harsh assessment for most teams in the league.  The Utah grade, especially.  If anything, I think they're improved their team to a small degree; and F seems overly harsh.  Dallas seems a bit harsh, too; Diop should help, and taking a flyer on Gerald was worth the minimum.  I'm assuming Minnesota scored so poorly because you hated the Mayo/Love trade, and yet Memphis only got a "C".  I'd hate to be a student in your class; it seems like the grading curve is about a D+.

I think we need to see how the draft plays out before condemning so many teams to failing off-seasons.  I can only assume that that's where most of these rankings stem from.  For instance, I'm not ready to give Seattle an "F" until I see how Russell Westbrook plays, etc.

You're right they are harsh rankings. Several teams like Utah got bad grades for failing to address their needs (Dallas is another, San An, Detroit), they are wasting their opportunity to contend for a title. Several other teams got bad grades or middling grades because their moves make them better but don't set them up well for taking that next step (Milwaukee, Clippers, Charlotte).

Seattle got a bad grade for leaving Seattle. Not moving Jeff Green. Not making any other moves to get better. And because of their draft pick. I'm taking the opposite view on Westbrook - I'm waiting to see him play well before giving him a positive line. Should have taken Love or Bayless.

Westbrook was intriguing at the Orlando summer league. Waiting to see him in the pros.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 09:12:04 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I think the C's deserve a B- as well... A quality signing would bring that up....
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:54 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
As far as the Celtics go, I don't think 1 championship has changed FA's minds about playing in Boston. For almost 30 years, Boston has not been a desired destination of NBA players. Not even a chance to win a championship is enough to lure in a quality fa. The only guys willing to play in Boston are guys nobody else wanted to pay. So right now, I give the Celtics a D-. It's not really Ainge's fault, but it's reality.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird