Author Topic: Warriors match offer sheet for Azubuike  (Read 4136 times)

Warriors match offer sheet for Azubuike
« on: July 24, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53731/20080724/warriors_match_clippers_offer_to_azubuike/

Interesting. Does this mean GState keeps him, or do they just want to work out a sign-and-trade to get something in return?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Warriors match offer sheet for Azubuike
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Huh ......

That front office is confusing the heck out of me. Did they actually sign Mo Evans in the end or not? Makes no sense to sign both players.

If nothing else I think this signing shows that Monta Ellis is being used as the long term solution at point guard.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
PG: Ellis, Williams
SG: Jackson, Azubuike, Evans, Bellinelli
SF: Maggette, Harrington
PF: Turiaf, Wright
C: Biedrins, Perovic

Looks to me like there is going to be a heck of a lot of "small ball" played with Harrington certainly getting time at the PF, Jackson at the SF when Maggette rests....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:36:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
PG: Ellis, Williams
SG: Jackson, Azubuike, Evans, Bellinelli
SF: Maggette, Harrington
PF: Turiaf, Wright
C: Biedrins, Perovic

Looks to me like there is going to be a heck of a lot of "small ball" played with Harrington certainly getting time at the PF, Jackson at the SF when Maggette rests....
I think we'll see one of Turiaf/Biedrins on the floor at the same time but hardly ever out there together. That would seriously hurt their offense. Turiaf is their best post defender so Nellie will use him against good low post guys especially since Biedrins can't handle them.

I imagine Nellie will start one of his youngsters at power forward in Randolph/Wright. Then use Al Harrington as his 6th man playing a large chunk of minutes mainly at power forward with possibly some at center/small forward.

Jackson and Maggette have the wings. Monta the point. Williams will back up the point. Azubuike should be the first choice backup, then it should be Belinelli.

Maybe they're down on Belinelli? He didn't exactly prove himself at summer league. Maybe they've decided he isn't in their future, that they were wrong about him.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i must say that this is a smart move by gsw. disregarding position, azubuike is too good of talent to just give up like that.

i'm not sure how the mo williams contract ended up. but it would make perfect sense if mo didn't go there. if he does, they have a pileup at the sg, so they'll probably make a trade.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 05:45:29 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
i must say that this is a smart move by gsw. disregarding position, azubuike is too good of talent to just give up like that.

i'm not sure how the mo williams contract ended up. but it would make perfect sense if mo didn't go there. if he does, they have a pileup at the sg, so they'll probably make a trade.

Mo Evans.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 05:48:39 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Evans will eventually sign with Atlanta. I think that's what this means.

PG: Ellis/Williams
SG: S. Jackson/Azubuike (Belinelli)
SF: Maggette/Randolph (Azubuike)
PF: A. Harrington/Wright
C: Biedrins/Turiaf

Nellie's doghouse: CJ Watson, Hendrix

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 05:52:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Interesting. I read here that Mo Evans wants more money.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_9969553?source=rss

So, looks like GState decided to go with Azubuike instead. He'll be the 6th man in that offense, backing up the wings.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 06:05:53 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Evans will play in Atlanta, book it.

For the record, I've watched Randoph in the Summer League and I'm not impressed. I wouldn't be surprised to see him joining Hendrix in Nellie's doghouse, with Belinelli getting minutes at the wings behind Jax-Maggette-Azubuike.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
Huh ......

That front office is confusing the heck out of me. Did they actually sign Mo Evans in the end or not? Makes no sense to sign both players.

If nothing else I think this signing shows that Monta Ellis is being used as the long term solution at point guard.

I haven't followed the specifics of this closely, but based on the events of the last couple of weeks between the Warriors and Clippers, I have no doubt but what this is a silly macho-headed game of who can "win" this free agent or that free agent. I'd hate to be a fan of either of these teams right now.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 06:46:09 PM »

Offline Zoots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
For the record, I've watched Randoph in the Summer League and I'm not impressed. I wouldn't be surprised to see him joining Hendrix in Nellie's doghouse, with Belinelli getting minutes at the wings behind Jax-Maggette-Azubuike.
I caught one of GS's summer league games.  I only had it on because it was against Dallas, and I wanted to see what Gerald was looking like.  Maybe if was just that one game, but Randolph looked very talented in that game.  Looked like he had a natural feel for the game, unlike poor Gerald (great athlete; no feel for the game).

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 02:18:16 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

Mo Evans.  ;D

sorry, typo haha

Become Legendary.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 03:03:52 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I caught one of GS's summer league games.  I only had it on because it was against Dallas, and I wanted to see what Gerald was looking like.  Maybe if was just that one game, but Randolph looked very talented in that game.  Looked like he had a natural feel for the game, unlike poor Gerald (great athlete; no feel for the game).

I also saw that game. No argument about his raw talent. He has tons of potential. But with the potential comes a huge risk as well. I don't know how to project his career. He may be a new Odom, a very skilled and atypical left-handed player. Or a major bust, I don't know.

But, currently, I fail to see how can he be useful on a NBA court. He plays like a face up 4, but he's too thin to play inside. And he won't be able to play from the perimeter, because his long-range shots are not very good, to say the least. His shooting motion is too slow and his mechanics need work. He has a great first step, but NBA defenders are too quick, athletic and smart: they'll cheat on him, giving him a couple of feet until he gets a shot good enough to punish them. I think he may struggle against more structured defences.

The single aspect of his game that makes me more suspicious is his defence. Who's he going to guard? Easy to post up, troubles fighting screens, moves his hands too much.

Yeah, he's a far better player than Green, with the natural feel for the game that good ol'Gerald misses. No doubt about that. Still, I think there's something that bond them: they both are the kind of players who were always the best in their teams, in the playground, in the high-school, especially because of their athleticism and ability to put the ball in the basket. So, they never learned the fundamentals of the game, relying heavily (and way too much for my taste) in their natural talents.

That's why I think there's a good chance of Randolph not getting many minutes until he develops some parts of his game and gains bulk.