Author Topic: Detroit Ideas  (Read 2853 times)

Detroit Ideas
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
First Idea: Sign and Trade with Okafor for Rasheed Wallace.

Okafor is top flight, and by trading Rasheed's contract, can hopefully re-sign Okafor to a $12M+/year deal, which I think is near what he is looking for.

Second Idea: Sign and trade with the Nets for Nenad Krstic  Krstic/Carter for Hamilton/McDyess...

...do you do it?

Third idea:  Click HERE

Billups to Miami for Marion
with McDyess going to Washington and
Etan Thomas going to Miami to balance salaries.

Then they'd need a PG, and could trade Richard Hamilton straight up for Hinrich...

Wallace,
Prince,
Maxiell/Johnson
Marion Hinrich.

Remember: it is the summer, so let's have some long thought out replies.

Re: Detroit Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
My vote is a no-go on all three ideas I'm afraid.

Okafor is a nice player but he isn't worth that type of money. That contract will seriously hurt if not kill their chances of building another championship quality side.

Hamilton is better than Vince Carter. Krstic is an uncertainty because of injury. I wouldn't pay him any serious money, or long term money and I'm not sure what he'll offer in the future and immediate future. I can't expect more from Krstic than McDyess offers until he proves his health.

I don't want Marion. He can't create his own shot at a high enough level and will demand too much money to keep around. Billups provides a lot more for the Pistons than Marion would. Could be a decent salary slash move though ... while keeping the team fairly competitive.

I don't want Hinrich because he isn't worth the money he's making. I certainly would not consider giving up an All-Star caliber player in Rip Hamilton for him.

On Etan Thomas. He's one of the most overpaid players in the NBA. He's a below average backup big man. His contract should be treated like poison.

Pistons have only $37.5mil on the books for next season so they'll have about 20mil of cap space (mostly from Wallace/McDyess expiring contracts). If I'm them I'm only making a trade if I'm getting a top class player in return because I can likely get somebody better next offseason.

I don't think the Pistons will make a move this offseason because I'm not sure anyone with enough quality is truly available. They don't have many options right now.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The 3 way trade doesn't make much sense for Miami b/c Billups is great, but Chalmers is the one here ready to grow. Washington's departure of Etan Thomas for Mcdyess would be good for them. Detroit loses Billups for Marion? noway. Billups should be a keeper, as well as Prince. Hamilton and Rasheed should remain the trading pieces as they still have much to give, but they aren't taking Detroit back over that hump. That team has become stagnant.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Detroit is in a lot of trouble. The only way they can bring in a perennial all star is if they give up two of their starters. If you take two of their starters out of that line up they will not be championship contenders. Even if you plug in a McGrady, Anthony, or Carter, Detroit would be much better off with their original five. If I'm Dumars I'm not trading any of my guys unless I get a Anthony or McGrady type talent. But at what cost? Trading two starters away for one elite talent does not help this Pistons.

Like a previous poster has said Detroit's best chance of competing is to do nothing this year. Dumars ruined what could of been a dynasty by drafting Milicic. The days of Detroit being the powerhouse in the east are long gone.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I was thinking that Detroit --- who seem to be ready to let Stuckey start at PG --- should make a run at Josh Smith.

somthing like Billups + Maxiell for Josh Smith (~$12M S&T) and Speedy Claxton

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:47:31 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I was thinking that Detroit --- who seem to be ready to let Stuckey start at PG --- should make a run at Josh Smith.

somthing like Billups + Maxiell for Josh Smith (~$12M S&T) and Speedy Claxton

That's a pretty good idea - but haven't the Hawks already got Bibby?