Author Topic: Paul Pierce chat in Spanish newspaper  (Read 5751 times)

Paul Pierce chat in Spanish newspaper
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Here is the link: http://www.marca.com/charlas/pierce/24072008.html

He does not say all that much and the translation (into Spanish from the moderator I must believe) looks kinda poor but anyway, here are two or three things he said:

- Replying to the question if Kobe is the best player these days...
 (23/07/2008 22:34)I do not believe Kobe to be the best player, I am the best player. There's a line that separates having confidence in oneself and being pretentious. I do not cross that line but I believe in myself a lot.

- Best mates on the team are apparently Tony allen and KG

- Toughest guy to defend is LeBron

- Does not think a new free agent is needed for the team to have a chance to repeat - even though he considers Posey a very good player - as he believes the Celtics are a very good team.

- Would sign Ginobili if he could (this in response to someone asking if Ginobili is a star in the league) and considers him the best foreign player in the history of the league.

Re: Paul Pierce chat in Spanish newspaper
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
He say thanks Paul Gasol !! ( i imagine its because he plays poorly ) and wait to play against Lakers again in this year finals, speciallyu because of bynum

He says he never fake an injury because that doesnt do anything good for the team

His best momento was to win the ring, and he was pretty confident to do that with kevin and ray

he still dont have a favorite soccer team

HEYA PAUL!!! I love barcelona

his favorite 5 players are Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins y Paul Pierce   ;D ;D

he hear abour rudy fernandez, ricky rubio and Marc gasol but never saw anything of them.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
His 5 favourites players in the NBA:

(23/07/2008 22:19) Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins y Paul Pierce

He also says he never wanted to leave the Celtics and wants to end his career here. And Garnett is a big fan of Chelsea and Paul is looking for a team to root for.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:36:35 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Here is the link: http://www.marca.com/charlas/pierce/24072008.html

He does not say all that much and the translation (into Spanish from the moderator I must believe) looks kinda poor but anyway, here are two or three things he said:

- Replying to the question if Kobe is the best player these days...
 (23/07/2008 22:34)I do not believe Kobe to be the best player, I am the best player. There's a line that separates having confidence in oneself and being pretentious. I do not cross that line but I believe in myself a lot.

- Best mates on the team are apparently Tony allen and KG

- Toughest guy to defend is LeBron

- Does not think a new free agent is needed for the team to have a chance to repeat - even though he considers Posey a very good player - as he believes the Celtics are a very good team.

- Would sign Ginobili if he could (this in response to someone asking if Ginobili is a star in the league) and considers him the best foreign player in the history of the league.

that kobe quote is really funny hahaha

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Here is a rough translation of the talk:

Hi Paul!!! Contratulations on you victory!!! My question is...what did you thin of Pau in the finals? Do you think they will be closer to the Celts with the addition of Bynum?  And one more question.  How do you feel beating the team you rooted for as a child?

Yes, because he allowe me to win.  Thank you Gasol.  With Bynum, they will be closer, we will play them in the finals. 

Hello The Truth. You have been criticized for the injury inthe finals.  Are you upset that they question your professionalism?

(23/07/2008 22:03) Well, it would not help my team at all for me to fake it.  The LA media went crazy and said that but there was nothing to it.

At any moment before this summer did you think you could win the title with the Celts?

Yes, with Kevin and Ray I knew we would win.

Hello! It is an honor to ask you a question.  First, congratulations champ.  What has been your best moment as a professional?

Winning the championship, of course.

Hello The Truth. Why did you not play against the Hawks and Cavs the same as the Pistons and Lakers?  What it about confidence? Fue por confianza ?

The Hawks and Cavs are good teams also and we were getting better as the season went on.

Who do you get along with best on the team?

Probably Tony Allen and KG.  Overall, there is good chemistry between all of us.

How does it feel to play with greats such as Allen and KG (not to mention yourself of course).  Why do you wear #34?

You'll be surprised but I wear 34 because in college, #34 jersey was the one that fit me best.

Hello Paul! Who do you think is better, Arenas or Calderon?

Right now, Arenas is better.  Calrderon can still improve but Arenas is a superstar now. 

Do you like soccer?

Yes, I like soccer, I started following it this year in part because of Beckham.  KG is a big fan of Chelsea but I still don't have a team; I am looking for one.

What is your opinion of Rudy Fernandez and Marc Gasol' chances in the NBA this year?

I have never seen them play.  I have heard talk about them, just like Ricky Rubiop, but I can't give an opinion since I have not seen them play.

What is the reason the last few American teams (full of stars) have not fared so well recently?  Is Kobe really the best player in the world? Thank you anc congrats on your well deserved ring.

I don't think Kobe is the best.  I am the best.  There is a difference having confidence and being arrogant.  I do not pass that line but I have a lot of confidence in myself.

Hello Paul!!!!  Who has been the player most difficult for you to defend?  Thanks and congrats on your championship.

If I had to choose, it would be LeBron James.

Hello Paul! I am happy to see one of the world's best talking to the fans.  Thanks.  Who was your childhood idol?  What do you think of the possibility of a Spain-USA game in the Olympics?

My idols were my mother first and foremost.  Second was Magic Johnson.

Hello, Paul. I have followed the Celts since the 80's and for me, you are one of the five best players now.  I would like to know:  who are your five favorite NBA players.  Thank you and good luck next season. 

Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins y Paul Pierce

Have you ever wanted to change teams?

Never, I want to finish my career with the Celts.

Hello and congrats, my question is, do you think you can win it next year without James Posey and without signing any free agents?  How many years do you think the current team can compete for the championship?

Posey is a good player but we also have a good team and can win again without signing anyone else.

Do you think that manu ginobili is an NBA star?

I would have Ginobili on my team if I could  I think he is the best foriegn player in the history of the NBA.  Well, I am sorry but I havr to go.  I am hapy to have talked to the Spanish fans and I hope to do this again.   Bueno lo lamento mucho pero tengo que dar por finalizada la charla. Thank you and good luck.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
now that i think about it, the kobe quote doesn't seem like something pierce would say.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 02:28:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hmm...  Manu as the best foreign player.  That's interesting.  Even if you exclude Duncan from the conversation, would you put Manu over Dirk or Yao?    Tough call.

Also, if you're talking "history of the NBA", it's Hakeem, right?  Not even close?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Hmm...  Manu as the best foreign player.  That's interesting.  Even if you exclude Duncan from the conversation, would you put Manu over Dirk or Yao?    Tough call.

Also, if you're talking "history of the NBA", it's Hakeem, right?  Not even close?

Id put him over dirk and yao, simply because he brings it harder every night than those two, and is a winner. this is somewhat unfair to yao though, injuries are injuries  :(

I think he probley honestly forgot duncan, and i can see how he said manu, being he's had to gaurd him before, i don't think he gaurds timmy :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't view people from the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or any other U.S. territory as foreign.  They are U.S. citizens who carry U.S. passports when they travel.  They are only foreign in the eyes of the IOC. 

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Hakeem was a product of the NCAA, one forgets him. I wouldn't put Manu over Dirk or Nash, and surely not above Sabonis (or even Drazen), but those two were never superstars in the NBA, so it doesn't make much sense to pick them. I think that Paul picked Manu out of swingmen solidarity.

I loved he said that anyway, lots of Spaniards think Gasol is the best foreign player in the NBA.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:44:19 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Thanks for the post.  It's nice to know he believes they have enough talent to win it all again. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
now that i think about it, the kobe quote doesn't seem like something pierce would say.

I am not surprised.  Paul is a very confident player and being the defending champ and reigning Finals MVP - you have to say your better than Kobe.  So much of the NBA is psychological and when you have your foot on the throat of your rival, you can't give them an inch (think Lakers v Kings).

Besides, I do think he is better than Kobe.  He is more clutch, a better defender, a better passer & decision maker, and overall a better Team Leader.

Paul plays within the flow of game with his teamates.  
Kobe forces the flow of the game and often tunes his teamates out completely going 1 vs 5.

Kobe is certainly a better athlete & entertainer, but Paul is the better all-around NBA player, imho.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
There are handful of players better then Kobe.

In no particular order:

KG
Paul Pierce
Steve Nash
Tim Duncan
Lebron James

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 05:00:13 PM »

Offline Shaqzilla

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Something seems odd about the Kobe quote. One on one Kobe is better than Pierce but Kobe has zero leadership qualities and that's why he can't compare to Michael Jordan, Magic, or Bird.

I love Paul Pierce but if you replace Paul Pierce with Kobe Bryant on the Celtics than the Celtics could have swept in the Finals.

But it's nice to kno Paul has confidence to repeat.

Green 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 05:27:34 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11

I loved he said that anyway, lots of Spaniards think Gasol is the best foreign player in the NBA.
[/quote]

Mate, why did you "love" that he said that? What is the problem with Spanish basketball fans thinking he is the best international player in the league? I assume it is quite normal Spaniards would be biased towards this thought. Fans in any sports stick to their favorite players and most of the time tend to overrate them. Furthermore, labeling someone as the best or not is something rather subjective anyway.

And no, Paul did for sure not pick Ginobili out of swingmen solidarity - same as he did not choose Gasol as the best international player just because he was infornt of a Spanish audience - he chose him because right now he probably IS the best international player and we tend to consider actual players more strongly than ancient ones. And on a tyrack record basis Ginobili is right up there anyway: Olympic Gold, World Championship Silver, 3 NBA Titles, Euroleague, Italian Championship...

But that "love what he said comment"... either it's sour grapes towards us Spaniards or you tell me...