Author Topic: Carl Landry to Europe, Can C's do a trade?  (Read 9453 times)

Re: Carl Landry to Europe, Can C's do a trade?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
TP4U cordobes, I'm smarter now than I was 5 minutes ago. Thanks.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 11:46:40 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Landry's new contract will be a very good estimate for what Powe can expect to earn in 12 months. Should watch that closely.

I think Landry is the better player. More comfortable around the floor plus he has a better jump shot.

I like Landry a lot. But I likePowe more. Probably a litte worse defensively, and as you say Landry has a better jump shot. Both are just monsters on the boards, but where I think Powe has the advantage is he's a better offensive rebounder and stronger around the rim. Once Powe learns to hit the 8-12 footer regularly, he's clearly better than Landry.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wouldn't look for a trade with Landy because it'll be too expensive to draw him away from Houston. Likely the whole MLE or at least near to it. I don't think Houston will have to pay that much, but I do think to get him out of there you'd need to overpay to convince Houston not to resign him. Since we have Powe, might as well develop him and hope we can resign him to a cheaper contract.

There's also some very interesting free agent big men coming on the market next year and some with good size. The two most interesting are Varejao and Gooden. It'd be a very nice signing to bring one of those guys on board.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 12:03:42 PM »

Offline Zoots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
Why trade for what we already have. IF we were to trade either Powe or BBD, we should do it to fill a team need, not a redundant part.
This would be my take too.  Though they bring slightly different assets to the table, Powe and BB are sort of redundant.  Really, to list our tradable assets, I'd say they are either Powe or BB, either JR or Walker, Scal and his contract, and picks.

If I were going to trade Powe or BB, I'd look to fill a position of need.  We have two of those; backup center and backup SF.  I'd not replace Powe or BB with a guy who plays their position.  Presumably, Landry wants more money than Powe or BB make, so you'd probably be throwing Scal into the deal to make it work.  Scal may not bring much to the table on the floor, but he's nearing the point in his contract where just the contract itself is valuable.  I'd not throw it away for a marginal upgrade at a spot where you're already decent (i.e. PF).  If Landry were of the long, defender, shot blocker variety, maybe do it, because it's a need.  As is, what Landry brings is too similar to what Powe and BB do to merit wasting Scal's contract.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:15 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Landry is better than either Powe or BBD, although BBD has the potential to be better in a year or two.  IMHO Landry is worth 3-4 million per year, but not the full MLE.  So if a European team offers the equivalent of the MLE (about 3 million Euros) Landry should take it.

As I keep saying, in Europe the schedule is shorter, the car is free, the apartment is free, and there are tax-saving opportunities.  Plus the food is better.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 12:30:53 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I wouldn't look for a trade with Landy because it'll be too expensive to draw him away from Houston. Likely the whole MLE or at least near to it. I don't think Houston will have to pay that much, but I do think to get him out of there you'd need to overpay to convince Houston not to resign him. Since we have Powe, might as well develop him and hope we can resign him to a cheaper contract.

Yeps, but one can try to imagine a deal that could benefit both teams:

Houston signs Landry for $4.8 million/year and trades him to Boston.

Boston sends Scalabrine+Powe+$3 million in cash.

Boston would be paying Landry $9.6 million for the next 2 years, but would save $6.6 million from Scal's salary and Powe's salaries in the next 2 years ($4.6 million, assuming he signs for $3.9 million). That's a $1.6 million difference, which considering luxury tax means a $3.2 million saving. Even sending the money to Houston, Boston would be saving money in the next 2 years to replace Scal and Powe with Landry.

Houston would get the money to pay a year of Scal's contract (or more than half of the money they'll need to a buyout) and negotiate an extension to Powe. In 2 years, they'd spend $8.2 million (Scal+Powe salaries minus cash considerations), probably less than what Landry is asking and certainly better than seeing him bolting for Europe and loosing him for nothing.

I'd do this, if I was Boston; the problem is that I think that Houston doesn't rate Powe at Landry's level.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Landry is better than either Powe or BBD, although BBD has the potential to be better in a year or two.  IMHO Landry is worth 3-4 million per year, but not the full MLE.  So if a European team offers the equivalent of the MLE (about 3 million Euros) Landry should take it.

As I keep saying, in Europe the schedule is shorter, the car is free, the apartment is free, and there are tax-saving opportunities.  Plus the food is better.

Although I agree (I would jump at the chance to be able to work in Europe, and basically have money not be a worry), I think it depends on the person.  Not every player wants to play that far from home, and in such a different culture.  I am somehow not surprised that Childress jumped at the opportunity, because he has always come accross as a "worldly" guy (maybe its just the Stanford thing), but there are certainly plenty of players in the NBA who I think wouldn't care about the money, they would prefer the comfort of being in the US.  Not sure which type Landry is.

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Landry was great for Houston last year, taking up most of Chuck Hayes minutes. But there has to be more to his injury than what's in the open public otherwise Houston would be more interested in keeping him and not falling into the hands of another Euro team.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Smith wouldn't get a contract in Europe as big as Childress'. His game relies too much on athleticism. I don't think he could get an offer as big as his QO. Gordon, Deng and Okafor, maybe.
Smith probably wouldn't even accept a contract like the one that Childress got.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »

Offline Steve from Milford

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Why trade for what we already have. IF we were to trade either Powe or BBD, we should do it to fill a team need, not a redundant part.
It never hurts to upgrade a part.

If Landry was or is an upgrade, why not do so?
I have to disagree. It very much can hurt to upgrade a part when the difference is marginal at best. These are people not machine parts. Leon is very popular with the team for the effort he always gives. As such he adds very nicely to the team chemistry.

Now the players on our team like to win and while they may not like it, will go along with changes that improve the team, but to get rid of of popular player for at best a small return? I don't think so.

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 05:14:39 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Smith wouldn't get a contract in Europe as big as Childress'. His game relies too much on athleticism. I don't think he could get an offer as big as his QO. Gordon, Deng and Okafor, maybe.
Smith probably wouldn't even accept a contract like the one that Childress got.

Yeah, maybe, I was just answering to a question about the probability of european teams going after him. But why not? Assuming that the Hawks would renounce to him to get rid of the cap holds, he'd be making like 4 times more than his QO and would become an UFA the next off-season.