Author Topic: Anti Tommy Points  (Read 14069 times)

Re: Anti Tommy Points
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 04:28:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I recommend a "Blount Point" sincs scals is still on the team

What's wrong with 'Scali Snacks'? 

Eats away at someone's TPs.    ;D

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
well, i wasen't around, but this was doable from what i understand when the karma system was first implemented, and led to some posters being vindictive and giving negitive feedback based on the poster, not the post.

I'm sure this happens now, subconsiously or not, and certain people dont give certain other posters TP's, but i'd rather have it that way then watch people get voted out in a popularity contest. goes back tot he old "if you can't say anythign nice, don't say anythign at all" rule.

Yep.  They weren't worth the hassle.  They caused a lot of whining, complaining, fighting, and ultimately, created more work for the staff.

Not that the positive Tommy Points haven't caused all that too ;)

True, but at least they brought us the fairly entertaining musings of nick and "TP-gate"

May I encourage everyone to give
Hobbsy a TP when he reaches post
no. 14,890. A TP to anyone who
figures out why  :)

Old Garden sellout #!

Then was it 15,320?

Just don't ask me what I had for breafast ???

Yup

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 04:30:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
well, i wasen't around, but this was doable from what i understand when the karma system was first implemented, and led to some posters being vindictive and giving negitive feedback based on the poster, not the post.

I'm sure this happens now, subconsiously or not, and certain people dont give certain other posters TP's, but i'd rather have it that way then watch people get voted out in a popularity contest. goes back tot he old "if you can't say anythign nice, don't say anythign at all" rule.

Yep.  They weren't worth the hassle.  They caused a lot of whining, complaining, fighting, and ultimately, created more work for the staff.

True, but at least they brought us the fairly entertaining musings of nick and "TP-gate"

Old Garden sellout #!

Then was it 15,320?

Just don't ask me what I had for breafast ???

Impressive, both of you.  +1 each.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 04:31:01 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Just curious, why is there no feedback regarding who gives you a Tommy point?  Just a simple PM "XYZ gave you a Tommy Point!" or ideally, be able to pull up a list of who has given you TPs and maybe a link back to the post.  Is that funtionality just not built into the system, or is that something that was deliberately disabled?

Not that I particularly care about TPs, just out of curiosity more than anything else (as well as wondering if this is something to look into on my other forum).  

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Just curious, why is there no feedback regarding who gives you a Tommy point?  Just a simple PM "XYZ gave you a Tommy Point!" or ideally, be able to pull up a list of who has given you TPs and maybe a link back to the post.  Is that funtionality just not built into the system, or is that something that was deliberately disabled?

Not that I particularly care about TPs, just out of curiosity more than anything else (as well as wondering if this is something to look into on my other forum). 
It's just how the SMF forum system works. The Karma sub-routine is fairly primitive and would require considerable hacking to many parts of the forum software in order to get it to do what you are suggesting. It's just not worth it and also, as soon as we need to upgrade the forums software, the modifications would have to be redone based on the new core. So maybe someday, the SMF dev team and other forum software makers will build such features into their product. I think forum members would appreciate it and, admins and mods would find it most useful in curbing abuse.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »

Offline GWVan

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8

14890 was the number for a sellout in the Boston Garden
Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »

Offline GWVan

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8

Snap I was slow, someone called and interrupted while I was typing - Stoopid work
Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico

That's also about the number of fans who show up on the second row of practice for the North Carolina Tar Heels, the Kentucky Wildcats, the Indiana Hoosiers, the Kansas Jayhawks and the UCLA Bruins.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Snap I was slow, someone called and interrupted while I was typing - Stoopid work

TP for confirming that there is at least one human being on earth who is slower than me :)
Yup

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

There you go.
Remember to TP Roy
when he gets there  :)

I didn't forget you Redz  ;)

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 05:03:04 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Here's a TP for Hobbsy
for reaching Boston Garden
Maximum Capacity in posts  :)

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's a TP for Hobbsy
for reaching Boston Garden
Maximum Capacity in posts  :)

Thanks, ACF! 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions