Author Topic: Trade for Gerald Wallace  (Read 4459 times)

Trade for Gerald Wallace
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »

Offline reardenmetal

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • Got Game?
Is there any reasonable package that could bring this ideal piece to Boston?

Re: Trade for Gerald Wallace
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think Gerald has said that he will no longer play SF for the sake of his health, so he's really not ideal for us.

If he does play it... I think a package with one of our picks, Baby or Powe, and Scal could land him. Quite a long shot, but I can see them making it.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't think Powe, Scal and a pick would be enough.  I have a hard time with Powe's value.  I value him more than the rest of the league.  The thing is Scal is a negative so it would have to be a 1st round pick. 

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think Powe, Scal and a pick would be enough.  I have a hard time with Powe's value.  I value him more than the rest of the league.  The thing is Scal is a negative so it would have to be a 1st round pick. 

As in pick, I mean Walker or Giddens... then you can add some future picks.

The only reason I could see them doing this is because they get rid of Wallace, who they seem to want to move, they get expiring contracts by 2010 and become a major player in that free-agent class, get young talent at the same time... Also, they might view Wallace as a bad contract at the moment with his health issues, that's about 10million per year for the next 5 years that they don't have to worry about.

That's where I'm coming from.

Scal is not a negative at this point by the way, especially for a team that is still building itself. It's a very good contract to have.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:57:44 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
They're not going to give him away - Gerald is really good and actually has a pretty reasonable contract. Plus, he's only 26.

I think after this season, a reasonable deal would be to trade Ray, Scal, Tony and either Perk or O'Bryant to the Cats for Wallace, Jason Richarson and Nazr Mohammed. That would add quitea  bit of salary to the C's payroll for 2010, but if Wyc and the gang were up for it, that could be a better, younger team than what we will have next year. And the Bobcats would be way under the cap and be in great position to land two premium free agents to Okafor and their young core in 2010.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If they trade him cheap, that means they think the concussion problem is really bad.

Or there is a North Carolina player coming to them. 

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Gerald Wallace is grossly overpaid. He's a tweener between positions and he hurts his teammates offensively because he can't operate well enough within an actual offense, he needs to be force fed the ball in iso's to be anything more than a Josh Childress type of player. He's extremely overrated around the league. He's also an injury waiting to happen.

Wallace is one of the big reasons why Charlotte keeping knocking their head on their ceiling. He's holding that team back and his contract his holding the club's future back.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Gerald Wallace is grossly overpaid. He's a tweener between positions and he hurts his teammates offensively because he can't operate well enough within an actual offense, he needs to be force fed the ball in iso's to be anything more than a Josh Childress type of player. He's extremely overrated around the league. He's also an injury waiting to happen.

Wallace is one of the big reasons why Charlotte keeping knocking their head on their ceiling. He's holding that team back and his contract his holding the club's future back.

Like a lot of players, I think he would be better on our team because he is a talented scrappy player who gets his offense through put backs and being in the right place. 

I think he would thrive as our 6th man.

*Scal is a negative because there are plenty of players coming off the books when he does and they can actually be servicable for the remainder of their contracts 

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:47:10 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
They're not going to give him away - Gerald is really good and actually has a pretty reasonable contract. Plus, he's only 26.

I think after this season, a reasonable deal would be to trade Ray, Scal, Tony and either Perk or O'Bryant to the Cats for Wallace, Jason Richarson and Nazr Mohammed. That would add quitea  bit of salary to the C's payroll for 2010, but if Wyc and the gang were up for it, that could be a better, younger team than what we will have next year. And the Bobcats would be way under the cap and be in great position to land two premium free agents to Okafor and their young core in 2010.

That's exactly the type of trade that the Celtics don't need to be making.  I know it sounds good in theory: trade one great shooting guard for two younger, pretty good ones.  But when you apply it to reality, it doesn't work.  In a close playoff game, what does that actually do for the C's?  It makes them worse, because Wallace and Richardson both can't play at the same time.  It'd still be a lineup of Rondo, Wallace/Richardson, Pierce, Garnett, and Perkins. 

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 01:11:09 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
He's a great player, not necessarily an all-star, but still. I doubt Jordan would trade him for anything we're willing to offer, unless he really does have a serious health problem.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
I think Gerald has said that he will no longer play SF for the sake of his health, so he's really not ideal for us.

If he does play it... I think a package with one of our picks, Baby or Powe, and Scal could land him. Quite a long shot, but I can see them making it.

He said he wouldn't play power forward. He wants to be a small forward.