Author Topic: If the playoffs were to start today, what would your seedings be?  (Read 10088 times)

Re: If the playoffs were to start today, what would your seedings be?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hmm...  if they started today, it would be a pretty bizarre tie-breaker system, with everybody at 0-0.  ;)

I'll go with:

1. Celtics
2. Cleveland
3. Orlando
4. Detroit
5. Toronto
6. Philly
7. Washington
8. Chicago

1. LA Lakers
2. San Antonio
3. New Orleans
4. Utah
5. Phoenix
6. Houston
7. Portland
8. Dallas

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
East

1.) Boston - the are returning practically the same team and except for some getting used to time in the first two rounds of the playoffs were dominant all year. Posey missing costs them games but not enough to give up best record in the league.
2.) Orlando - I love what the Magic have done in the offseason adding Pietrus for a defensive presence on the wing, a quality vet backup PG in Johnson and the guy I think could be a contributor right away in Courtney Lee.
3.) Cleveland - LeBron gets another year older, he has a PG he now trusts in West(provided he resigns), they play the second toughest defense in the league and I think people could be looking at their draft as an exceptional one considering where they were picking.
4.) Detroit - before calling me nuts I think these four teams are going to be very close to each other standing wise with possibly all 4 being over 50 wins. Detroit narrowly loses the Central and hence fourth.
5.) Philadelphia - they may struggle early but watch out come playoff time. Brand/Dalembert/Iguodala/Miller/Green is a pretty darned good starting five.
6.) Toronto - this is very dependent upon two guys performing, Bargnani and O'Neal. If they do not have bounce back years, Toronto could be looking at lotteryland.
7.) Washington - I thought this team played better without Agent Zero than with him and I think he's a cancer waiting to explode on this team. That said they have enough talent to make the playoffs.
8.) Pick'em on four teams(Chicago, Milwaukee, Miami, New York) because it really doesn't matter this year. The Celtics will not fall into the same trap twice. Look for a destruction of whomever lands in this position.

West

1.) Lakers - even more so if they pry Artest from the Kings
2.) New Orleans - Paul is MVP, Posey not as much of a regular season addition as he will be in the playoffs
3.) San Antonio - probably finishes only a game behind the Hornets but the door is slowly shutting here.
4.) Utah - Deron Williams is my favorite non Celtic.
5.) Phoenix - maybe Nash's last real chance at a ring with the Suns
6.) Portland - Greg Oden and Jarryd Bayless might end up being 1-2 in ROY voting. This team is going to be scary team in a couple of years.
7.) Dallas - another disappointing year. I hate their team chemistry and I think the entire collection of players there lacks cajones.
8.) Houston - we have a problem. T-Mac is not a player you build a franchise around. Unfortunately management takes 4.5-5 years to figure this out.

ECF - Boston vs. Cleveland in another epic 7-gamer. Winner: Boston
WCF - Lakers vs. New Orleans. Winner: New Orleans

NBA Champion: Boston Celtics
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:09:22 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
East
1)Boston
2)Detroit
3) Washington (Law of averages says that sooner or later all these guys have to be healthy through the season)
4)Philidelphia
5)Orlando
6)Raptors
7)Cleveland
8)Atlanta

West
1) New Orleans
2)LAL
3) Utah
4)San Antonio
5)Portland
6)Phoenix
7)Houston
8)Golden State (Monta's break out year)

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 06:29:44 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
East
1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Detroit
4. Orlando
5. Philly
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Milwaukee

West
1. LA
2. Utah
3. Houston
4. San Antonio
5. NO (I don't think they'll be as lucky this year with the injuries)
6. Phoenix
7. Dallas
8. Portland

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 06:32:39 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

....The Western conference actually looks weaker to me than the East.

I have been thinking this very thing for the last couple of weeks.  

IMO, the East has the two best teams in Boston and Cleveland, and 3 really solid teams in Detroit, Orlando, and now Philly.

The West has gotten weaker with Phx & Dallas nose-diving after bad trades last year.  GS disapearing completely and the Lakers getting softer up front (without Ronny) makes for a more watered down conference next season.

I look for NO or SA to lead the pack and Portland to surprise with 45-50 win season.  I don't see the Lakers making the Finals again next year.

don't forget the wizards with a healthy gilbert.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible

A question to the ' NO is coming out of the West ' crowd.  Did you think they would win the West prior to Posey signing with them?

I wouldn't put $ on them coming out of the West, but Posey certainly makes them much better.  Now they have someone who can contain Kobe 1on1 and also take those big shots that Paul will create with his penetration.

They looked scared last year in the big moments, reduced to Pargo going 1 on 1 --- Big Game James will change that. 

San Antonio and NO should be the top two out west.  I am predicting a Laker colapse that gets them knocked out in round 1 next season.

even without posey, i feel they could be a top seeded team like they were this year.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
The 5 New Orleans starters missed a combined 22 games last year, which is near or at the top.  If they get a decent injury I don't see them having the same record they did last year.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The 5 New Orleans starters missed a combined 22 games last year, which is near or at the top.  If they get a decent injury I don't see them having the same record they did last year.

But they have added more depth. 

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 07:59:57 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
One player != depth. I can only see Posey helping for depth in this situation best if Stojakovic goes down (which is highly likely).

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

....The Western conference actually looks weaker to me than the East.

I have been thinking this very thing for the last couple of weeks.  

IMO, the East has the two best teams in Boston and Cleveland, and 3 really solid teams in Detroit, Orlando, and now Philly.

The West has gotten weaker with Phx & Dallas nose-diving after bad trades last year.  GS disapearing completely and the Lakers getting softer up front (without Ronny) makes for a more watered down conference next season.

I look for NO or SA to lead the pack and Portland to surprise with 45-50 win season.  I don't see the Lakers making the Finals again next year.

don't forget the wizards with a healthy gilbert.

Good point.  That makes 6 really solid teams.  Which Western teams would you put in front of these 6?

If I had to rank the top 10 in the league - it would go something like this:
1- Boston
2- Cleveland
3- San Antonio
4- New Orleans
5- Orlando
6- Detroit
7- LA Lakers
8- Philly
9- Utah
10- Washington

Top 2 out of the East, and 6 of 10 out of the East.

The East has finally become the stronger conference.

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
East

6.) Toronto - this is very dependent upon two guys performing, Bargnani and O'Neal. If they do not have bounce back years, Toronto could be looking at lotteryland.

Toronto looks like it could be just AWESOME - on paper:

Calderon is a great PG
Kapono, sliding over to SG (his more natural positon) is a great shooter
Bosh at SF is over-sized, and obviously a top player in the league
O'Neal at the PF is also a top player, great rebounder and a great shot blocker
Bargnani is a 7 footer who can hit threes.

This team could play amazing inside out basketball, and if the team were dedicated to it, decent help defense (lots of blocked shots from Bosh and O'Neal).

The bench is a little weak, but if those starters play well...  which brings me back to Nickagenta's point:

O'Neal is injury prone, and if Andrea doesn't get a little bit more of an edge, he'll be punked right out of the league. The rub on Bosh is that he's a little soft.  Sill though - O'Neal could have a big year, Bosh could toughen up practicing against O'Neal, and Andrea might prove himself more impressive playing with, essentially, two power forwards.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible
East

Calderon is a great PG

This team could play amazing inside out basketball, and if the team were dedicated to it, decent help defense (lots of blocked shots from Bosh and O'Neal).

The bench is a little weak, but if those starters play well...  which brings me back to Nickagenta's point:

O'Neal is injury prone, and if Andrea doesn't get a little bit more of an edge, he'll be punked right out of the league. The rub on Bosh is that he's a little soft.  Sill though - O'Neal could have a big year, Bosh could toughen up practicing against O'Neal, and Andrea might prove himself more impressive playing with, essentially, two power forwards.

haha i'm just remember the interview with starbury after the garnett trade: yea they look good on paper, but so do we.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 09:15:20 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
East

Calderon is a great PG

haha i'm just remember the interview with starbury after the garnett Randolph trade: yea they look good on paper, but so do we.

Hey! No one looks as good as us.  Have you noticed that PP begins half his sentences with "Hey!" or "Ay!"

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 10:32:05 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Anything's Possible
um.. no i was right in my first post. don't cross out whats correct  ;) starbury was asked about his thoughts pertaining the garnett trade. he said, sure they look good on paper, but so do we.

"On paper, they're a really good team with guys who can really play, but they still have to get on the court and do it," Marbury said. "Chemistry is everything. We look good on paper, too, and we have a year under our belts."

"I'm not thinking about Boston," Marbury added. "I'm only thinking about the New York Knicks. Our new nickname is nice and nasty. That's how we're coming."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08022007/sports/steph_says_dont_fear_kg__celts_sports_marc_berman.htm

Become Legendary.

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 12:22:08 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
um.. no i was right in my first post. don't cross out whats correct  ;) starbury was asked about his thoughts pertaining the garnett trade. he said, sure they look good on paper, but so do we.

"On paper, they're a really good team with guys who can really play, but they still have to get on the court and do it," Marbury said. "Chemistry is everything. We look good on paper, too, and we have a year under our belts."

"I'm not thinking about Boston," Marbury added. "I'm only thinking about the New York Knicks. Our new nickname is nice and nasty. That's how we're coming."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08022007/sports/steph_says_dont_fear_kg__celts_sports_marc_berman.htm

He was ALSO asked his thoughts on the Randolph trade (you've surely seen this): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVa6NHwUUg